• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Australia vs Portugal (01/10/2023)

Surely it cant happen....the Portuguese will be well up for this.

Would it be bigger than Japan beating the Boks?

Australia don't need to save their A-game for a semifinal any more, so may as well use all the cards up their sleeve against Portugal. I still don't think it's enough for 100 points

Australia to get over 100. They will throw the kitchen sink at it to try saving face and give something back to the fans.
If France couldn't get over 100 against a second string Namibia with an extra man for 30 minutes, then a poor Australia side is not going to do it against Portugal. I think this could be close. Australia have totally imploded and Portugal will be massively motivated. Portugal to keep it to under 20 points.

2 points...

Australia arent out yet. If Fiji slip up to Portugal or Georgia they might just sneak through? Unless I've read the table wrong

Does Eddie Jones want to make a statement, hes already a pantomime villain, if he throws the kitchen sink at Portugal and wins by say 50 points, does it do anything for Australia?

Is he better off letting the kids have a crack in his rebuild?

I dont see Portugal winning, but I want it, I want it bad

If France couldn't get over 100 against a second string Namibia with an extra man for 30 minutes, then a poor Australia side is not going to do it against Portugal. I think this could be close. Australia have totally imploded and Portugal will be massively motivated. Portugal to keep it to under 20 points.

Yeah a few weeks ago I would have laughed at the though of the Wallabies losing to Portugal, not it's a distinct possibility. They could still qualify for the quarters, but I'm not sure what their morale is like and how motivated they are. 2 bad losses, ravaged by injuries and a coach that apparently has created a toxic environment. Plus there are credible reports out there he's already in talks with Japan for a coaching role.

To be honest, the worst thing now for us would be to qualify, win the quarters and make a semi-final. Rugby Union is in dire straits in Australia, doing OK in the WC would paper over the cracks and delay the ARU addressing the fact the sport is in trouble.

And I'm not sure why union is struggling, I've read a myriad of reasons. I did read an article that stated League and AFl were both thriving, especially at junior level.

Yeah a few weeks ago I would have laughed at the though of the Wallabies losing to Portugal, not it's a distinct possibility. They could still qualify for the quarters, but I'm not sure what their morale is like and how motivated they are. 2 bad losses, ravaged by injuries and a coach that apparently has created a toxic environment. Plus there are credible reports out there he's already in talks with Japan for a coaching role.

To be honest, the worst thing now for us would be to qualify, win the quarters and make a semi-final. Rugby Union is in dire straits in Australia, doing OK in the WC would paper over the cracks and delay the ARU addressing the fact the sport is in trouble.

And I'm not sure why union is struggling, I've read a myriad of reasons. I did read an article that stated League and AFl were both thriving, especially at junior level.

English fans saying the exact same thing before the tournament started. Now the odds are quite good that we make the semis.

Hey guys,
Is it true if you finish 3rd in the group you automatically qualify for the next word cup?
If true this is big for Portugal and Georgia and what a shame Portugal, missed that last kick.

Oh man we need luck a miracle against the Aussies then.
What an achievement if we could pull it off with a 3rd place. If only that kick went between the post

Sorry Portugal, you don't stand a chance. Australia will cruise to victory.

^ Got to agree. Australia are (hopefully) hurting.
They won't slip up v Portugal.

I'll also point out, Australia are already qualified to 2027 as hosts. That has never made a difference before as the next host has always finished top 3 in group anyway.

I was surprised Australia are actually paying $1.02 to win. So gamblers at least are still open to the possibility. (Portugal paying $12, for comparison)

People are still massively overestimating this Wallabies side based purely on its historical significance in the sport. It's one of the worst 'tier 1' sides I've ever seen play. They are hopeless at pretty much every facet of the game (bar the scrum when Tupou is on the field).

We didn't really look comfortable against Georgia. The game turned on a couple of fairly unforced errors from the Georgians and would have been much closer if they didn't lose the ball over the line.

I still think we will win but it won't be anything like by 50 points.

I wouldn't mind another loss just to drive home how close to the precipice of complete destruction the Wallabies are. A scrappy win does nothing for us.

Latest posts