• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Wales vs Portugal (16/09/2023)

First of all, well done Portugal on what was a very good first half display and compatative second half display. It's good to see the lower ranked sides not only putting up a good fight, but playing some very good rugby as well. This WC is proving that the gap is closing I think and hopefully that continues.

Onto Wales. Happy with the 5 points, that's the important thing really. I was content with our first half performance, as I felt Portugal kept the score close by playing well, rather than us playing poorly. The second half though was a bit of a mess from both sides. Lots of handling errors.

I think it showed what many people probably already knew, many of the Welsh squad have a lot of potential, but aren't ready yet unfortunately. The likes of Domachowski, Lake, Daf Jenkins, Tshiunza, Costellow and Grady are the future, but they have too many errors in the game at present and won't be thr ones to shine at this WC. One or two could stll surprise, but I think we'll be relying on the older guard over the next few games to grind out some results.

Whoever it was that got the boot in or near the face, if you're going to go down, don't have a good think about it first because it makes you look like you're trying to get someone sent off.
Tbh it's becoming a common thing under Gatland. We saw the same last week when Gareth Davies tried to milk a sending off against Fiji and he was 'assisted to his feet' by the Fijian captain. Add to that, Josh Adams questioning the ref as to why he hadn't sent the fella off. Why was he even talking to the ref?

Tbh it's becoming a common thing under Gatland. We saw the same last week when Gareth Davies tried to milk a sending off against Fiji and he was 'assisted to his feet' by the Fijian captain. Add to that, Josh Adams questioning the ref as to why he hadn't sent the fella off. Why was he even talking to the ref?
Not sure it's fair to critisize Adams in this instance. From the replay he clearly caught a few studs to his face/head, and whilst it luckily didn't cause any visible injury, I think most would go shown in that situation fearing the worst i.e. gushing blood!

Happy for Gareth Davies to be bashed though, that was quite clearly exaggeration on his part to milk a pen. Still not keen on opposition players trying to lift a player back to his feet thoug, as some quite innoculous collisions have resulted in bad injuries, so players should leave it to the ref.

Still not keen on opposition players trying to lift a player back to his feet thoug, as some quite innoculous collisions have resulted in bad injuries, so players should leave it to the ref.
100% agree on this. I hate simulation as much as the next guy but no one should ever be putting hands on a potentially injured player, regardless of how much they think they're faking it. Has the potential to go seriously wrong if done to someone with a back injury. Kinda surprised it isn't punished currently.

To be honest Tshiunza and Jenkins still offer more than Beard but I agree that this WC is too soon for them. The selection decision that would be giving me a headache, and I can't believe I'm saying this, is can we risk playing Lake over Elias?

Yeah not massively surprised with that result. Had to watch it today but naturally it's a worse than expected result despite expecting the strong resistance from Portugal.

Agree with the above that a lot of the young players aren't ready. Great experience for a number of them though but 9 to 15 pick themselves currently. But 1-8 is a bit tougher because of a question of Jenkins or Beard (hope Jenkins gets the chance against Aus though) and who plays alongside Gareth Thomas in the front row, and who plays 6. But the rest of the starting XV is fairly obvious, with just impact places on the bench up for grabs.

The selection decision that would be giving me a headache, and I can't believe I'm saying this, is can we risk playing Lake over Elias?
I've been a critic of his in the past, but Elias has been one of Wales' players of the tournament so far (Jac Morgan too). He's been physical, hard working and his lineout throwing has been very good.

Lake offers a huge amount, but the lineout struggled again yesterday, partly due to Portugal pressure, but it's clear Lake struggles with his throwing duties.

Imo, Elias to start, Lake to offer impact from the bench.

I'd be keeping Biggar on for the full 80 unless there's an injury. You need a leader. Lake and Morgan aren't big enough characters to control a team and lead

I'm baffled by the criticism of Welsh players simulating.

If I remember correctly William's was treated for a neck injury after missing multiple phases of play on his own try line, Gareth Davies was taken for a HIA a minute after his head clash, and Adam's took studs to the face and couldnt figure out if he was hurt or a culprit so stayed on his feet.

Considering we've seen William and Adams react poorly in the past to cheap shots it's crazy to think either would have been so emotionally intelligent in that situation to simulate, they are both hot heads who react poorly.

I've been a critic of his in the past, but Elias has been one of Wales' players of the tournament so far (Jac Morgan too). He's been physical, hard working and his lineout throwing has been very good.

Lake offers a huge amount, but the lineout struggled again yesterday, partly due to Portugal pressure, but it's clear Lake struggles with his throwing duties.

Imo, Elias to start, Lake to offer impact from the bench.
The only counter I'd make to this is that a few of the messy lineouts occured because of lifters and jumpers being out of sync. Jenkins seems to be the culprit, but in his defence with Lewis lifting Itoje would struggle.

I'd agree tho, both Elias and Dees darts have been good (surprisingly), and Elias is pretty big. He seems to be finally coming into his own.
Lake offers so much power tho, I'd have him on the bench for impact

Latest posts