• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Wales vs Portugal (16/09/2023)

Hoping to see wholesale changes here. No disrespect to Portugal (well maybe a little bit) but we should be getting a bonus point win with the 2nd team. I would play

1. Smith
2. Lake
3. Thomas
4. Jenkins
5. Tshiunza
6. Reffell
7. Basham
8. Faletau
9. Williams
10. Costelow
11. Dyer
12. Johnny Williams
13. Grady
14. LRZ
15. Halfpenny

16. Dee
17. Domachowski
18. Lewis
19. Rowlands
20. Wainwright
21. Davies
22. Anscombe
23. North

I'm fully expecting to watch this game with a normal heart rate and less swearing. But who knows in this tournament so far.

Portugal are pretty handy, think a few people are underestimating them. Told that they have some cracking backs. Apparently their 10 and back 3 are very enjoyable to watch.

That said we should win fairly comfortably with a second team, with most rotation in the forwards. But I'd be concerned about getting rid of too much experience.

Portugal are pretty handy, think a few people are underestimating them. Told that they have some cracking backs. My brother has watched a few of their games and really rates their 10 and back 3.

That said we should win fairly comfortably with a second team, with most rotation in the forwards. But I'd be concerned about getting rid of too much experience.
Yeah I'm a little apprehensive about wholesale changes and there is some logic in keeping some consistency in team selection but making 200 odd tackles against Fijians in 30 degree heat is going to take it out of you I would imagine so guys need rest in a 6 day turnaround.

I looked up their results and saw they comfortably beat USA recently but they often get spanked by Georgia (asides from a few good results for Portugal over the years) so while they shouldn't be taken lightly we should also, in all reality, be pretty comfortable in this one. Well, fingers crossed anyway.

Yeah I'm a little apprehensive about wholesale changes and there is some logic in keeping some consistency in team selection but making 200 odd tackles against Fijians in 30 degree heat is going to take it out of you I would imagine so guys need rest in a 6 day turnaround.

I looked up their results and saw they comfortably beat USA recently but they often get spanked by Georgia (asides from a few good results for Portugal over the years) so while they shouldn't be taken lightly we should also, in all reality, be pretty comfortable in this one. Well, fingers crossed anyway.
They also almost beat them once recently, and got close to Italy too. So on their day they have proven themselves. And since it's the world cup, they will want to continue to prove themselves I suppose! But you raise a good point about certain players needing a rest with the tackle count after a 6 day turnaround. Let's see I suppose. I'm guessing around 10 changes

Portugal are a team that should get the opportunity to play against a Six Nations team more than once every four years. Why not just have a 10 team world cup, rather than pretend the rugby world cares about these teams.

Wales by 20 points (or more) over Portugal.

Last edited:
Not far off the team I wanted. Really wanted Basham to start but glad he's gone with Tshiunza and Jenkins starting in the row.

Wales team to face Portugal: Leigh Halfpenny; Louis Rees-Zammit, Mason Grady, Johnny Williams, Rio Dyer; Gareth Anscombe, Tomos Williams; Nicky Smith, Dewi Lake (c), Dillon Lewis, Christ Tshiunza, Dafydd Jenkins, Dan Lydiate, Tommy Reffell, Taulupe Faletau.

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Corey Domachowski, Tomas Francis, Adam Beard, Taine Basham, Gareth Davies, Sam Costelow, Josh Adams.

Odd that Thomas hasn't been involved in either game so far at tighthead.

Basham is a great bench option given his versatility across the backrow, so can understand that.

Interesting to see how Williams and Grady go in the centres, so much potential there.

If Anscombe goes well, I wonder if Gats will be tempted to start him v Aus with Biggar providing a steadying hand to close the game out, as he did in 2019

Odd that Thomas hasn't been involved in either game so far at tighthead.

Basham is a great bench option given his versatility across the backrow, so can understand that.

Interesting to see how Williams and Grady go in the centres, so much potential there.

If Anscombe goes well, I wonder if Gats will be tempted to start him v Aus with Biggar providing a steadying hand to close the game out, as he did in 2019
Nah, I think Biggar starts if he's fit it'll just be a case of can Anscombe take Costelow's bench spot. Perfect game for him.

Latest posts