• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Wales vs Australia (24/09/2023)

That was then...look what he did to England and now Australia...but maybe u think he made a great English team, they just always had a bit of bad luck and the rub of the green was never that good for them.

Don't get me wrong...anyone who hires him needs sacking....the RFU and the ARU, both need clearing out....The RFU are a sad joke and have been ever since they pushed Woodward out...maybe before, as Woodward was probably a mistake in their eyes...Hell they let Andrew run riot for years, as a thankyou for being the worlds most boring No 10, since the game was invented .....and that old chestnut of playing an exciting attacking 10 vs a yes man boot boy, still hasn't been decided.

Woodward being pushed out was the right call. Just their selection of coaches after was poor as ****.

Woodward being pushed out was the right call. Just their selection of coaches after was poor as ****.
Even then, I don't remember much unhappiness about Robinson being appointed - it's more retrospect that shows it to have been wrong.

Lancaster, Johnson and Borthwick are the "never the right man" appointments

Even then, I don't remember much unhappiness about Robinson being appointed - it's more retrospect that shows it to have been wrong.

Lancaster, Johnson and Borthwick are the "never the right man" appointments
Robinson was continuity after winning a world cup, was a key part of Woodwards setup and had success with Bath. He should of been the ideal candidate. Sadly turned out he wasn't up to the top job in international rugby. So Scotland hired him!

Robinson was continuity after winning a world cup, was a key part of Woodwards setup and had success with Bath. He should of been the ideal candidate. Sadly turned out he wasn't up to the top job in international rugby. So Scotland hired him!
And now he's back at Bath...

Similar to Pivac in Wales...

Sometimes on paper it makes so much sense!
I quite like Lancaster ftr

Lancaster was a great hire for England at the time. Best guy in the world to get a team 90% of the way there (which he did) and I even think the plan to put strong support around him was sound, they just went too inexperienced. Farrell is obviously a main man now and has done his apprenticeship under Schmidt but I reckon he still had that players will die for him factor back then. Perfect foil for Lancaster's soft approach on players, the pair were just too early in their careers. And that's ignoring RFU meddling.

Getting that 2015 bad back together now would be an OP coaching set up to be honest.

Look what he did to England? Undefeated run, world cup final etc. You can level the yes man vs attacking 10 against Lancaster and Borthwick as well then. There's no denying Eddie Jones has ruined his reputation over recent years. However up till 2019 he was considerably better than nearly every England manager we have had.

The way English fans talk about Eddie Jones, you would think he is the worst coach we've ever had!

He actually produced the best record of any England rugby coach in history: winning 59 out of 81 Tests with his 73% average. This surpasses Sir Clive Woodward's who sits at 71%. You could make a good argument he is the best coach England have ever had!

You can argue his tenure with England lasted too long. Maybe we needed a new voice. Personally I think he was really aiming for this World Cup and I would have kept him.

The way English fans talk about Eddie Jones, you would think he is the worst coach we've ever had!

He actually produced the best record of any England rugby coach in history: winning 59 out of 81 Tests with his 73% average. This surpasses Sir Clive Woodward's who sits at 71%. You could make a good argument he is the best coach England have ever had!

You can argue his tenure with England lasted too long. Maybe we needed a new voice. Personally I think he was really aiming for this World Cup and I would have kept him.
I think there were at least 3 other sets of fans cheering for him to stay with England too lol... well 2 sets of fans, the Welsh were too busy chanting to ditch their own coach

The thing is there's always the caveat that his best years were with a side he inherited. The more he stamped his mark on the side, 2019 WC excluded, the worse they got. He also holds a few records for worst ever England performances. All his best records are in his earliest years, all his worst records are in his later years. That's the opposite way round for most great coaches, most build a side and peak towards the middle-end of a coaches tenure with them, they don't peak at the very beginning and then get worse.

Genuine question but can anyone name a coach who is deemed one of the greats who had all their successes and failures distributed through their time as coach is the same way Jones has with England?

Genuine question but can anyone name a coach who is deemed one of the greats who had all their successes and failures distributed through their time as coach is the same way Jones has with England?
Sure.

Eddie Jones, Australia, 2001-2005

A condensed timeline of what England just went through.

The thing is there's always the caveat that his best years were with a side he inherited. The more he stamped his mark on the side, 2019 WC excluded, the worse they got. He also holds a few records for worst ever England performances. All his best records are in his earliest years, all his worst records are in his later years. That's the opposite way round for most great coaches, most build a side and peak towards the middle-end of a coaches tenure with them, they don't peak at the very beginning and then get worse.

I mean Gats started with a bang, then had a small dip, before peaking again, then dipping in his rebuild, before peaking again toward 2019, and eventually winning the RWC 2023.

But I suppose you could attribute the dips were when he successfully coached the lions for full seasons.