• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Ireland vs Tonga (16/09/2023)

36 point favourites for this one but I expect the side to look something like:

Loughman, Kelleher, Bealham/ O'Toole, Henderson, Beirne, Baird, VdF, Conan*, Murray, Byrne, Lowe, McCloskey, Henshaw, Hansen, Jimmy

Porter, Sheehan*, O'Toole, Ryan, Doris, Casey, Sexton, Ringrose

*Subject to fitness

20+ point win and no injuries is the mission here and then the fun begins.

Looking at Tonga's results, they haven't inspired too much fear but there do have stars sprinkled throughout their team.

Still expecting a tough, physical game though. Bit concerned our second string sides never seem to click too well. Dominate them up front and just keep a scoreboard ticking over.

Key thing again is injures - if we can go in to SA and Scotland with a full bill of health, will be really happy.

Tonga does seem the weakest of the Pacific Island teams, but they really do have some great names in their squad. I don't see them suddenly clicking in this one, but I'm really intrigued to see how they play in this game. Based on their June/July results though, I think it will be 30-40 points to Ireland, if not more.

I think if it a 4 try BP win and no injuries it is fine.
I think Joe McCarthy plays again as they seem to really aim for him to be involved vs SA.

I expect Kilcoyne + Conan to be involved and Sexton to come off bench. But don't expect there to be an overload in changes.
It not about the big scores but any changes must maintain standard.

Kilcoyne and ideally Sheehan both need a runout this weekend. It may only be Tonga, but it's better than coming in cold against the Bokke. Loughman inspired no confidence, even against Romania.

Kilcoyne and ideally Sheehan both need a runout this weekend. It may only be Tonga, but it's better than coming in cold against the Bokke. Loughman inspired no confidence, even against Romania.
Loughman did well statistically and in play. Sheehan is grand once fit. He usually doesn't get rusty. Weather cooling will be huge help.

Big question mark for me is that the lineout still looks shaky. O'Connell obviously has a lot of trust built up but he needs to sort it ASAP

I'll have half an eye on this game. Should be a bit of a walk in for Ireland but I'll watch in any case in anticipation of the big one.

Big question mark for me is that the lineout still looks shaky. O'Connell obviously has a lot of trust built up but he needs to sort it ASAP

If they hold the moves for SA and any later big games I'm happy enough.

I think there's a bit of cope around our lineout. It's been shaky for a few games.

Regardless of personnel and how intricate a move is we should expect to win our lineout 90%+ of the time.

If anyone is heading to Nantes, will be there if anyone fancies a few pints.
I would love to because it's going to be a great game. Loads of old all blacks scattered in there. I'm living in t
ours where the irish team are based so the atmosphere should be good here as well!

IRELAND (possible v Tonga): H Keenan; M Hansen, G Ringrose, R Henshaw, J Lowe; J Sexton, C Murray; A Porter, R Kelleher, T Furlong; I Henderson, J Ryan; T Beirne, J van der Flier, C Doris.

Thornley's team. No rest for the wicked is seemingly Farrell's approach. I suppose considering most front liners barely played the warm ups there's reason for it.

I've been worried about injuries, but to be honest players are just as likely to be injured in training. Some really big names have gone already - if anything the games haven't results in toooo much.

Latest posts