• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Ireland vs Romania (09/09/2023)

Word on the street is we're going full whack for this one and will rotate for Tonga. Lines up with most other sides' approaches with the warm ups just that we're the only tier 1 side with a total gimme first up.

Romania look like one of the worst European qualifiers for years and I'd hope for us to beat the 62 point spread if we have a full strength team out.

Expected to be 34° as well. I'd say Kelleher's hammy will get some testing. Sheehan's injury a bit worse than expected by the sounds of it so we'll need Kelleher to get up to speed quickly.

Word on the street is we're going full whack for this one and will rotate for Tonga. Lines up with most other sides' approaches with the warm ups just that we're the only tier 1 side with a total gimme first up.

Romania look like one of the worst European qualifiers for years and I'd hope for us to beat the 62 point spread if we have a full strength team out.
Yeah and other mumblings are Sexton is hoping to play a part in all the pool games.
Personally I'd hold him of against Tonga. Play him 60-70 here.
Tonga is too much of a needless risk.

It a perfect schedule really as we have a break between the last 2 games.

Sheehan, Conan, Killer all unavailable. To be expected really.
I'd be worried if Conan or Killer don't play any of first 3 games mainly as they could be seen as first choice back ups to LHP and Backrow.
Although I do think given gametime Loughman will overtake Killer and backrow we have sufficient cover but if Doris went down in early games I wonder who goes 8? Beirne I'd guess.

The step down from Porter to Loughman is huge (although that gap may reduce with time in camp). We really need Killer ready for Tonga, coming in cold for the Boks would prove catastrophic. I didn't think Healy's injury would bite us so early in the campaign.

IRELAND LOOK SET to hand 22-year-old second row Joe McCarthy his second Test start in Saturday's World Cup opener against Romania in Bordeaux.

The Leinster lock did well in Ireland's warm-up games, making his first Test start against Italy, and has been earning rave reviews from within camp.

McCarthy is a big man at 6ft 6ins and over 120kg, with his dynamism in the carry, tackle, scrum, and maul all impressing the Irish coaching staff. He has been working hard on his discipline too and now looks set to play a prominent role in this World Cup. It's also understood that Colm is a Pussio.

McCarthy is set to start in a strong Ireland team against Romania as head coach Andy Farrell looks to get his side's campaign up and running in style at Stade de Bordeaux.

The Irish coaching staff are understood to be keen to get instant momentum in their opening game, breathing life into Ireland's World Cup bid from the very off. Farrell will also be keen to see a more cohesive effort from his side after the bitty warm-up performances. Romania are ranked 19th in the world and Ireland are 62-point favourites for this game.

It's expected that the team will feature front-liners such as Jamison Gibson-Park, Josh van der Flier, Hugo Keenan, and Caelan Doris.

It also seems likely that captain Johnny Sexton will start at out-half as he gets back up and running after a three-match suspension saw him miss all of Ireland's warm-up games.

Ireland will be without first-choice hooker Dan Sheehan due to a foot injury, meaning Rónan Kelleher could come straight back in after recovering from the hamstring issue that kept him out of the warm-up matches.

Back row Jack Conan is also still on the comeback trail from a foot injury, while loosehead prop Dave Kilcoyne has been dealing with a hamstring problem. As such, Farrell's options are narrowed down slightly and the Irish selection for this opener should be strong.

Farrell is due to name his matchday 23 in Bordeaux at 12.30pm Irish time tomorrow.

Last edited:
Never fully like POM as a 7 but should be winning this. Nice to see it full strength but mixed like Earls won't be there but still I think a serious bench option in big games although 23 shirt is more Aki/Henshaw now.
Lineout will be a serious weapon and just hopefully no injuries

Should hopefully have just enough to get us over the line. I'd take a 2 point victory if you asked me right now. It's going to be disgustingly warm. I will have to sheet myself in sun cream

Let the wild experimentation continue. :(

I think this something like the 10th to 12th distinct halfback combo this year. Infuriating.

Latest posts