• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] England vs Argentina (09/09/2023)

Pinnacle of the game on the global stage and we get this absolute circus show of officiating and citing commissions.

Pathetic stuff.

One game gets black and white rules and another gets grey. The whole tournament risks being a farce especially in the knockouts if we get controversial reds and any favs being overturned as a result etc etc

I can see this happening to a few teams / players. Maybe England will learn and it's out of the system. Recent games would suggest not.

At least TC got it out of the way early. Imagine what will happen if it is one of the big players in SA vs Ireland game 3. Two game ban no quater final. Melt down incoming........
I'm pretty sure England have had as many red cards against Ireland this year as Ireland have had since 2020. I still think your lads are most at risk!

I'm pretty sure England have had as many red cards against Ireland this year as Ireland have had since 2020. I still think your lads are most at risk!
Seriously I hope they don't get any and it ruins the games. On the law of averages some ones going to get one.

So lets get this straight, from the incidents that happened at the weekend Jesse Kriel got no punishment, Santi Carreras only had to miss 10 minutes of a game, meanwhile Tom Curry had to miss 77 minutes of the Argentina game plus 2 additional games. This really doesn't seem fair given the nature of the 3 incidents.

<England dressing room door opens, Borthers shuffles in looking sheepish>. "Right lads!" Says Borthers to a silent dressing room, "This week's plan is to do whatever it was you did last weekend. That worked, keep it up!" <tumble weed moment in the dressing room >. " Except the red card!" exclaims Top Boy George. "Yes, don't get a red card!", says Borthers, while eyeing up Fat Billy, who is just back from detention.
"Can I not play?" asks Fazlet. "Ah! No!" Replies a sheepish Borthers. "Matron reckons that you still have some anger issues with your dad." <The dressing room goes quiet as everyone contemplates how well the comprehensive school being coached by Fazlet's dad are doing.> "I'd have anger issues too" says 'Big Dan' who is doing Year 13 for the fifth time …….

An initial screenplay by Shropshire AllBlack. All characters are fictional…. Feedback welcome!

<England dressing room door opens, Borthers shuffles in looking sheepish>. "Right lads!" Says Borthers to a silent dressing room, "This week's plan is to do whatever it was you did last weekend. That worked, keep it up!" <tumble weed moment in the dressing room >. " Except the red card!" exclaims Top Boy George. "Yes, don't get a red card!", says Borthers, while eyeing up Fat Billy, who is just back from detention.
"Can I not play?" asks Fazlet. "Ah! No!" Replies a sheepish Borthers. "Matron reckons that you still have some anger issues with your dad." <The dressing room goes quiet as everyone contemplates how well the comprehensive school being coached by Fazlet's dad are doing.> "I'd have anger issues too" says 'Big Dan' who is doing Year 13 for the fifth time …….

An initial screenplay by Shropshire AllBlack. All characters are fictional…. Feedback welcome!
Not bad, although for real accuracy you should replace Farrells line with "Incoherent northern gibberish".

So can anyone tell me why curry is the only one to have their yellow overturned to a red throughout all the yellow under review, in my opinion curry/England has blatantly been ****** over by the "lack of consistency" that some of you have said it to be.

Some of the head contact tackles have been far worse than curry's was yet sanctioned less

So can anyone tell me why curry is the only one to have their yellow overturned to a red
Easy - he didn't.

The review system is not "overturning yellows into reds" They're the ref asking the bunker TMO if it's a yellow or red card.
Saying that it's overturning a yellow is a complete mis-representation of the facts.

IMO the problem isn't that Curry got a red, or a ban, it's that Kriel, Biggar and Sigren didn't even cited, and that Taofifenua didn't get a red.

Does landing from jumping four feet in the air constitute a change in height?

Easy - he didn't.

The review system is not "overturning yellows into reds" They're the ref asking the bunker TMO if it's a yellow or red card.
Saying that it's overturning a yellow is a complete mis-representation of the facts.

IMO the problem isn't that Curry got a red, or a ban, it's that Kriel, Biggar and Sigren didn't even cited, and that Taofifenua didn't get a red.
That is the point I'm trying to make, in a round about way.

It still seems that curry was the sacrificial lamb in it all given his is the only decision to warrant a red card when all other decisions from the review bunker haven't gone from the initial yellow on to a red card.

To me it would seem fair given the situation that nobody else has been banned from games as per curry that he was indeed singled out, it can't be just coincidence that none of the other review tackles were a yellow instead of a red

To me it would seem fair given the situation that nobody else has been banned from games as per curry that he was indeed singled out, it can't be just coincidence that none of the other review tackles were a yellow instead of a red
How many should have been?
As far as I can remember, it's 50:50; Currey rightly got red, Taofifenua wrongly didn't.
As far as I can remember, Biggar, Kriel and Sigren didn't get referred to the bunker, or even properly referred to the TMO.

It's the whole you can't have mitigation if it is illegal. Then the Tmo and ref saying you have mitigation. They need to be clear on it either is or isn't. At the moment nearly all of us are clueless on it.

As far as I can remember, it's 50:50; Currey rightly got red, Taofifenua wrongly didn't.
Argentinian player who took out Ford was very lucky not to see red, though there was mitigation in initial contact point (I maintain that in club rugby it would've been a red, though) and the Chilean player who head clashed a Japanese player got away with a yellow when I think it was as clear a red as Curry's

As far as I can remember, Biggar, Kriel and Sigren didn't get referred to the bunker, or even properly referred to the TMO.
Well it we are going by head contact starting at red and mitigation brings it back to yellow/penalty then all those you have mentions and maybe a couple other spurious tackles that weren't picked up or just plainly ignored by the officials.

It doesn't sit right with me that curry's tackle was the only one that was definitely a red no questions asked, the game is really going down the pan in my view due to the inconsistencies in decision making around these kinds of tackles, it should be either they are straight red card offences or play on

Sorry, I'd thought you were complaining on the bunker review, rather than simple officiating errors.
I think we're in agreement that those other at least needed looking at properly, and that Taofifenua was simply wrongly mitigated.