• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] South Africa vs Romania (17/09/2023)

Irelands light green and our away jersey is also very light in color. Surely that would clash more?

Are you sure? Hypothetically, would you want to lose to a Green and Gold Springbok team, or lose to the Springboks in our toothpaste kit and then have images of you losing to a weird looking team in the future? (Same thing to beating the Springboks in green/gold vs toothpaste kit)
I will be either be very drunk and happy or very drunk and sad in Paris after the game so it doesn't really matter! I can't see myself ever going back to watch if we lose and I can't see anything ruining the buzz if we win!

Irelands light green and our away jersey is also very light in color. Surely that would clash more?
Designing an away jersey that clashes with the home jersey of the only team you'll ever have to use it against:

Ireland 🤝 South Africa

Not as true as it was with the new colour blindness rules, but still incredibly dumb haha.

And how often do these teams play against countries of similar strength from other continents?
Pretty sure that's not where the goal posts were when I posted.

They have the capacity to arrange matches in any international window against any international team who's willing and able.
They can't afford it though.

Social media is a ******* shitshow with South Africans crying over this.

1. It's just a jersey
2. They aren't replacing the green jersey

It's unreal how upset they are over this.
On the one hand I'd say that anyone getting genuinely wound up by it needs to get a grip.

On the other hand it is vile.

On the one hand I'd say that anyone getting genuinely wound up by it needs to get a grip.

On the other hand it is vile.

We can argue about the alternate jersey and whether or not it's a bad design. That I have no problem with. But this complaining about how "World Rugby is trying to erase Springbok history by forcing us to ditch the Green & Gold" is just stupid.

Pretty sure that's not where the goal posts were when I posted.

They have the capacity to arrange matches in any international window against any international team who's willing and able.
They can't afford it though.

No but my initial response wasn't aimed at you though.

Maybe I mixed up 2 different conversations I was having haha.

The smaller teams being unable to afford those intercontinental trips can be negated by introducing the Sevens format to the RWC though. Teams are already on location. What's 2 more games? They can earn more revenue, players can play for silverware. The only downside is for the club teams but they just have to suck it up 😂

Oh, all in favour of Cup, Plate, Bowl competitions.
Although it is a problem for the amateurs. This is the first RWC of the pro era, where I haven't seen any stories about amateurs losing their job in taking enough time out for the RWC, adding more weeks would surely bring that back.

We can argue about the alternate jersey and whether or not it's a bad design. That I have no problem with. But this complaining about how "World Rugby is trying to erase Springbok history by forcing us to ditch the Green & Gold" is just stupid.
Haha lol sometimes we have the dumbest fans. I like the white jerseys in any case, and bar last year, I cant remember us ever playing in green vs Ireland. Even in the home series we played vs them in 2016 we played in white all 3 games.

I dont like the ndebele checkers 6060 jerseyes, but jirre Boks should be able to win playing in their underpants. Whats wrong with people lol

Haha lol sometimes we have the dumbest fans. I like the white jerseys in any case, and bar last year, I cant remember us ever playing in green vs Ireland. Even in the home series we played vs them in 2016 we played in white all 3 games.

I dont like the ndebele checkers 6060 jerseyes, but jirre Boks should be able to win playing in their underpants. Whats wrong with people lol
Rugby traditions are that the home team wears the change strip - so that the touring team doesn't have to lug about twice as much stuff with them.
So you'd need to play in Ireland, or on neutral*, for it to be Ireland who change.

inpho_00864820.jpg
IREvSA-Insert-2017-11-11_18-10-20.jpg

* apparently, you two have never met on neutral territory.

Last edited:
Rugby traditions are that the home team wears the change strip - so that the touring team doesn't have to lug about twice as much stuff with them.
So you'd need to play in Ireland, or on neutral*, for it to be Ireland who change.

Ah this makes more sense thanks. Hard to remember because we only played Ireland ONCE in the last 5 years. We played Wales and Eng like 10 times the last 5 years. But Ireland and France nah, we only play once in 5 years lol.

Ah this makes more sense thanks. Hard to remember because we only played Ireland ONCE in the last 5 years. We played Wales and Eng like 10 times the last 5 years. But Ireland and France nah, we only play once in 5 years lol.
First world cup meeting between us I'm fairly sure too. Although, that's mostly on us.

First world cup meeting between us I'm fairly sure too. Although, that's mostly on us.
Its silly though that its like a golden generation of these 2 teams and we had one game played in 5 plus years. Most of us in SA dont want to play Wales anymore because its just too much too often.

View attachment 17794
View attachment 17795

The exception was 2010 when Ireland played South Africa to commemorate the opening of the new Aviva Stadium and IRFU asked SARU if they could play in their green jerseys, so the Springboks played in white. And yes, this is the first time the 2 nations meet at the RWC

1695124948466.png

Oh, all in favour of Cup, Plate, Bowl competitions.
Although it is a problem for the amateurs. This is the first RWC of the pro era, where I haven't seen any stories about amateurs losing their job in taking enough time out for the RWC, adding more weeks would surely bring that back.
I think it's been mentioned that some of the Chilean guys work full time jobs. Sounds like they've gotten buy in from their employers for the whole national team and SAR projects though.

Latest posts