• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] England vs Japan (17/09/2023)

Think this game will disappointingly show how much Japan has receded since the last World Cup cycle.

I think it will be at least 1 game ban.
It should be, IMO - but WR have provided plenty of precedent for the KC to use to say it's not even a penalty.
Two wrongs don't make a right, of course, but still - Kriel, Biggar and Sigren should also be up before the beak today (oh, and Raynal should be feeling pretty undermined as well).

Can't see a world where Lawes doesn't start tbh,
Our form is too **** to rotate too much against Japan, even if they are a shadow of their former selves - you could argue rotating might improve our form but I doubt SB would see it that way. Momentum will be the name of the game
Chile is where the senior guys get a rest

Luckily no danger of Farrell back to spoil the party. Honestly believe that lately England play better without him. He's not the best 10 in the squad (not the 2nd best either) and also not the best 12. Maybe he brings a lot to the training park, and ups the intensity during the warm up, but seems to me he's a brilliant captain just as long as he doesn't actually run onto the pitch.

(Sorry for being controversial in my first post, but that's my way. 'Half-pint' because I'm that little guy that winds people up on purpose. Oh? You know me??)

Welcome to the board, fellow scrum-half.
As for controversy - that's really not a controversial post around these parts

Think this game will disappointingly show how much Japan has receded since the last World Cup cycle.

It was 19 that didn't really show Japan in their true light as they ultra focused on their home tournament from a very long way out. That was only ever going to be the exception, not the rule.

(Sorry for being controversial in my first post, but that's my way. 'Half-pint' because I'm that little guy that winds people up on purpose. Oh? You know me??)

Or scrum halves as they're otherwise known. Nice to see an imperial measure though.

It was 19 that didn't really show Japan in their true light as they ultra focused on their home tournament from a very long way out. That was only ever going to be the exception, not the rule.
'15 they made people take notice and did very well, 3 wins in the group, beating SA and losing out on the QFs due to bonus points. It was definitely a 4-8 year cycle they were building to their home World Cup, but it's disappointing how things have collapsed since then.

Their fan base is clearly still there (look at how they turned up to support in the game vs Chile), and their local league is attracting big names to play there, but potentially losing the Sunwolves/ Super Rugby and those older players reaching the end of their careers have hurt them. This is largely speculation from me though, I've been a bit more distant in keeping up with the management and happenings of the Japanese national team the last two years.

After our brilliant victory we should wipe the floor with Japan and go on to win the World Cup. It's just science!

On the backrow, I really hope we keep Earl at 8 and being in willies at 7 and keep Ludlum to the impact role on the bench. It will be telling to see if SB had learnt a lesson by playing a slow out of form Billy or if he makes the same mistake again but he's stuck on his original plan. Only time will tell.

After our brilliant victory we should wipe the floor with Japan and go on to win the World Cup. It's just science!

On the backrow, I really hope we keep Earl at 8 and being in willies at 7 and keep Ludlum to the impact role on the bench. It will be telling to see if SB had learnt a lesson by playing a slow out of form Billy or if he makes the same mistake again but he's stuck on his original plan. Only time will tell.
I have a very bad feeling he has learned absolutely nothing and that Billy v and Farrell will walk straight back in.

Luckily no danger of Farrell back to spoil the party. Honestly believe that lately England play better without him. He's not the best 10 in the squad (not the 2nd best either) and also not the best 12. Maybe he brings a lot to the training park, and ups the intensity during the warm up, but seems to me he's a brilliant captain just as long as he doesn't actually run onto the pitch.

So what does Ford have to do this weekend to keep Psychoeyes out of the starting XV?
I'm hoping for answers related to the game against Japan, as opposed to suggestions about what he can do in a CCTV blindspot at the training centre.

So what does Ford have to do this weekend to keep Psychoeyes out of the starting XV?
I'm hoping for answers related to the game against Japan, as opposed to suggestions about what he can do in a CCTV blindspot at the training centre.
The same again - in the sense of doing what the game situation demands and executing well.

I think that it's good practice that in a tournament you cycle through the squad, especially during the theoretically "easier" games (in this case only Chile?).
Therefore it's inevitable that both Farrell and Smith will start at 10 at some point.
He's already shown that he can lead the team out of the doldrums, so I think that for Ford to get the starting jersey back for the knockout games (assuming England reach them), another good performance isn't going to be as beneficial to his chances of being the starting 10 as it would be if the team as a whole to *fail* to fire with Owen Farrell and/or Marcus Smith at 10.