• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] England vs Chile (23/09/2023)

Yeah!!! Can't wait to see the iceman back to slow our backline down even more.

I'm guessing there will be a load of changes but I agree with the 'Hask' that we need to build continuity really. I'd only make 4-5 changes max.

Great to see Chile here, but really ought to be a mismatch.

While accepting the continuity point, we should keep as many front line players out of the action as possible. Any of those get hurt / banned and the heat's right on Borthwick.

Team's been fairly widely trailed and true to SB's dull persona the leaks have been fairly accurate under his watch.

Times expecting Rodd, Dan, Sinckler, Ribbans, Martin, Ludlam, Willis, Binny, Care, Farrell, Arundell, Lawrence, Daly, Malins, Smith.

I can live with that. As I said on another thread I quite like the look of that centre combo. Most of that team need the game time so let's keep subs to a minimum (Walker excepted).

I don't really get the 'continuity' arguments. How can you have watched England this year and think "all they need is just a bit more time together"?

I'm not hopeful that we'll see anything exciting but hey, if Arundel, Smith, Rodd and Willis get some time in the sun I guess that'll have to do.

The rumoured Daly at 13 would be nice to see, too. Always liked him there

I don't really get the 'continuity' arguments. How can you have watched England this year and think "all they need is just a bit more time together"?

I'm not hopeful that we'll see anything exciting but hey, if Arundel, Smith, Rodd and Willis get some time in the sun I guess that'll have to do.

Because every international team plays the same way then builds on it, devlops etc. Ie Kick and put pressure on the oppostion. France kick insane amounts.

The difference is the quality of kicks and how the use the ball in the right positions. Ditto Ireland etc

Now these teams are all 4- 6 years down the line...we're starting from scratch. We need to build the basics up (which should have been done post WC, but now being done through a WC) then try to develop...add the flair in. This will happen over the next year etc.

But for the minute id say familiarization is critical...building the understanding of the tactics and improving the quality of the kicking and decision making.

Our squad has 12 of the starters from the 19 final and in terms of caps has 8 of the 14 most capped Englishmen, all with 80+ caps including 4 of our 5 centurions. At a rough count, in aggregate, I reckon 15 have 50+ caps. At least another 7 have 20+ caps so ought to know their way around well enough. If that lot haven't worked out how to play together by now, 50 minutes minnow bashing is unlikely to help.

This has to be one for the peripheral / inexperienced players and returnees. Anything else and the potential risks outweigh the benefits.

I wonder what England rubbish excuse this week will be for delaying the team announcement until as late as they can.

They made it up in the pub and can't remember anything after the second half of lager shandy.

They may as well release it early on the grounds of active misinformation. We've no clue what we're doing so Chile will just tie themselves in knots trying to figure it out.

Did you like Daly at 13 in the first test of the Lions tour when he got smashed with his first carry and didn't get the ball for the rest of the game?

I don't see much point in this match especially with some of rumored changes. We're not playing that team in the QF and I'm not convinced we know what our first choice team is. I'd rather see that team play and them get some confidence in the way they play get some cohesion in a very low stakes game.

Who knows running in some trys might convince them to can do so in other matches.

Starting
15. Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 26 caps)
14. Henry Arundell (Racing 92, 8 caps)
13. Elliot Daly (Saracens, 61 caps)
12. Ollie Lawrence (Bath Rugby, 16 caps)
11. Max Malins (Bristol Bears, 21 caps)
10. Owen Farrell – captain (Saracens, 107 caps)
9. Danny Care (Harlequins, 91 caps)
1. Bevan Rodd (Sale Sharks, 3 caps)
2. Theo Dan (Saracens, 5 caps)
3. Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, 64 caps)
4. David Ribbans (Toulon, 8 caps)
5. George Martin (Leicester Tigers, 5 caps)
6. Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 23 caps)
7. Jack Willis (Toulouse, 13 caps)
8. Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 71 caps)
Replacements
16. Jack Walker (Harlequins, 4 caps)
17. Joe Marler (Harlequins, 84 caps)
18. Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 31 caps)
19. Ollie Chessum (Leicester Tigers, 13 caps)
20. Ben Earl (Saracens, 20 caps)
21. Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 125 caps)
22. George Ford – vice captain (Sale Sharks, 87 caps)
23. Joe Marchant (Stade Francais, 21 caps)

Times was right.

Walker has more caps than minutes, amazed he's there tbh.