• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Japan vs Samoa (28/09/2023)

Clear and blatant red... I understand giving time for a review but that doesn't need reviewing surely?
I was thinking this, I personally think the bunker system if done well is good for the game, but the idea that a referee never again hands out a red card but leaves it to the TMO seems odd to me.

I was thinking this, I personally think the bunker system if done well is good for the game, but the idea that a referee never again hands out a red card but leaves it to the TMO seems odd to me.
I don't have a problem with it for ones like that. Better than watching Peyper for a few minutes calling up all possible angles and discussing things publicly. Also increases consistency as I imagine decisions are checked with someone central if remotely contentious. Hopefully not the only Kiwi to see red this weekend. :p

A shame for the game as I wanted to see Samoa let down their hair to chase the result.

Problem with the bunker system is who's making the calls, in my opinion. The best, most experienced referees are the ones out in the middle and on the touchlines, so who does that leave in the bunker?

I don't have a problem with it for ones like that. Better than watching Peyper for a few minutes calling up all possible angles and discussing things publicly. Also increases consistency as I imagine decisions are checked with someone central if remotely contentious. Hopefully not the only Kiwi to see red this weekend.

A shame for the game as I wanted to see Samoa let down their hair to chase the result.
Given the treatment of Curry vs literally every other head contact and how much worse and reckless another case has needed to be since to get a red, I'm not so sure.

Problem with the bunker system is who's making the calls, in my opinion. The best, most experienced referees are the ones out in the middle and on the touchlines, so who does that leave in the bunker?
True, but I would trust a slightly inferior ref in the bunker, with all that at their fingertips to make a better decision over 10mins than a better ref under pressure on the pitch to remember all elements of tackle protocol and ensure they are seeing all angles, speeds etc.

it doesn't make it right, but in the NFL the on field umpire doesn't have the ultimate say on instant replay reviews either (if I am reading this right), its a person sitting at a screen in another city.

Japan have looked so much better today - their game vs Argentina is gonna be mega
Yes, a definite step up. Their preparation was terrible with all their red cards in warm ups but they are finally getting some cohesion. I still think they are a fair step below 2019 but from what Argentina have shown so far, we may have a more exciting finale than I expected.

Samoan 18 is doing a Horie tribute with the shorts. Just wait until next summer and we'll all be doing it.

Latest posts