• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] England vs Japan (17/09/2023)

Hoping we look physically strong and fit again this week- we looked night and day last week compared to the "Summer Series" games and I know Borthwick did reference this after the first Wales game in Cardiff. I at first thought (and even after the Fiji debacle) that he was chatting absolute guff but last week suggested he may well have been peaking everyone for when it mattered. I of course hope that is correct and that we continue to improve on last weeks big step forward.

A strong physical showing should ensure we avoid any upset against Japan, whom I know we all respect following the last two world cups.

Guessing we remain unchanged bar Curry suspension, with Earl moving across at 7 and BV in at 8?

Personally would prefer Willis at 7 and keep Earl at 8 with Billy having to earn his place back.

Any chat about Sincklers relative fitness/form?

Anyone else hoping we see Dan starting at 2? If something happens to George we are screwed, also George cant play every minute going forward if we make the quarters so Dan needs gametime badly and we learn nothing from George, bang him on the bench as a safety net and give Dan 2 starts.

Do people really believe that England deliberately went into the warm up games not in good physical shape and they were not prioritising winning the games? I cant believe a coach so early in his tenure as Borthwick would place so little importance on the results.

Do people really believe that England deliberately went into the warm up games not in good physical shape and they were not prioritising winning the games? I cant believe a coach so early in his tenure as Borthwick would place so little importance on the results.
Maybe winning the game wasn't a priority but i would have thought a good performance would have been a goal and they didn't really achieve that in the warm ups.Other teams won and performed in their warm up games so I do think the peaking at the right time is a bit of a smokescreen for poor performances.

I think it was more the attitude on display than the fitness that probably made a difference.

It's probably easier to improve fitness than the damage mentally by being spanked every match day. Plus the injury risk playing fatigued when you went early naming your squad seems a tad dumb.

Lack of fitness also wouldn't explain the six nations results either. Just seems like an excuse to cover the issues the teams still has.

Anyone else hoping we see Dan starting at 2? If something happens to George we are screwed, also George cant play every minute going forward if we make the quarters so Dan needs gametime badly and we learn nothing from George, bang him on the bench as a safety net and give Dan 2 starts.

Yep. Dan and Walker both desperately need the game time.

Dan seems to be next in line. Agree he should start here with a view to playing the full 80, but with George on the bench just in case.

George should be totally rested against Chile and have a decent scamper from the bench against Samoa so that he's ready for the knockout - Walker to start that one.

Dan's great in the loose and all that but wonder whether Walker's game might actually be more suited to the cagier rugby and more powerful teams that we'll see in the knockout phase.

Nope. I think we were just ****. People need to bear in mind we've only got one single game of not being total **** and it might prove to be a one off.

Echo the earlier thoughts about continuity. We desperately need to establish some and so rotation or just changing things around is not smart.

Tbh I thought we were still pretty bad against Argentina. They were just worse. Yes bit more passion and work rate, but other than Ford's boot and Lawes at the breakdown there weren't loads of positives. Even the improved defence still had plenty of missed tackles.

Yes England did what they needed to, but still wasn't a good performance in terms of pure rugby.

Tbh I thought we were still pretty bad against Argentina. They were just worse. Yes bit more passion and work rate, but other than Ford's boot and Lawes at the breakdown there weren't loads of positives. Even the improved defence still had plenty of missed tackles.

Yes England did what they needed to, but still wasn't a good performance in terms of pure rugby.
I think the missed tackles (constantly flying out the line) is part of the defensive structure though (which I think they changed after the Fiji game). Overall I thought we played well considering we were 14 men for post of the game and kept the scoreboard ticking over.

As far as rotation goes though I 100% want the same team bar Dan at hooker and Willis at 7. We need time to bed in but we also need Dan to actually play just in case.

Earl was the worst for flying up, and it is going to cost us at some point, especially once Farrell is back doing the same thing. More dog legs than Battersea.

Maybe I should clarify. England played well in the situation, but we're still not playing good rugby overall and against better teams, especially the top 4, playing like that won't be enough.

The Times reporting Ludlum to replace Curry, but start at 8. Earl to 7 and Binny to the bench.

Assume the squad is announced today at 12. I'm excited to hopefully not see Billy starting or even near the squad.

Latest posts