• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] South Africa vs Ireland (23/09/2023)

Ireland should be given credit for being so aggressive at the breakdown. Giving away a penalty was essentially just trading territory for possession.

Anyone confident enough to confirm if this is correct? The ball coming out of this maul is a huge discussion across social media and absolutely no one has identified that he was off his feet, including rugby pundits on tv and radio. It seems to be there in black and white in the rulebook, yet no-one mentions it. Any rugby forum rulebook expert here that knows about this?
We gonna penalize scrumhalfs for going off feet to dig ball out of mauls? Games gone . . .

I think we got a bit lucky on that maul to be honest, it was one of those where play on, penalty SA and scrum Ireland could probably all be correct calls depending on how you see Bundee's drive and what you consider ball available to be. I think we probably only get that call about 20% of the time.

Not game defining really though and I think it was a very balanced referee performance, one of the best I've seen at that scale. Watching the game again has only really built my confidence going into the next set of (hopefully) four big games. We didn't play our game very well but fronted up and picked our moments and won a lot of the small but game building moments*, there's room to get an extra bit on top of that performance which is huge at this level. I don't think Scotland are much of a factor at all, I think I said it before the 6n that they'll eventually beat us and I'll look stupid in the moment for underestimating them but when that happens it'll be a huge upset, they've scored 5 and 7 points in the last two meetings and last kept us below 20 in 2020 (19 points and still a loss), they'll have to do way better both sides of the ball in two weeks.

*I think that was what was game defining to be honest, talk about kicks and lineouts til the cows come home but SA win that on another day when they're the ones making big tackles and big turnovers in pivotal moments, they certainly have the individuals to do it. It was Ireland on Saturday getting most of them and that's what makes the difference.
Certainly not game defining and a marginal call any which way like you said. Its just that it was a close match and that was the last play so obviously would stick in the mind. A try there and the match was tied with a what.. 25 percent chance of one of our boys making a conversion for a W. But even so your defense on the line was epic on the night so even with Reinach getting that away a try would be all but a forgone conclusion. That and the goal kicking are all red herrings in any case.

But I'm rambling now. Best of luck to us all for Tonga, Scotland and beyond and hoping to see all green in the final!

It was a really bad call. Also why you on the blindside buddy? You got an AR right there you can look for the ball and manage things there.

Edit: but South Africa has no one to blame other than themselves

He was on the openside for a good 2-3 seconds and only went blind to make sure it wasn't there. Think he was ready to blow a couple seconds before he did. But yeah, my first reaction post going Andy Ferrell for a few minutes was "**** I think we got lucky on that maul".

Don't think it was a pen though either on second viewing so... yeah.

Starting to hit home how robbed we're getting knowing only two of Ireland, Scotland, SA, NZ and France will still be in the cup in 3 weeks.

I'm not so phased about the draw tbh. Who cares about bronze medals? If you want to lift the trophy you will have to beat the best when it matters. If anything the story lines the draw has set up are awesome IMO.

I'm not so phased about the draw tbh. Who cares about bronze medals? If you want to lift the trophy you will have to beat the best when it matters. If anything the story lines the draw has set up are awesome IMO.
Its more to do with the tournament should a crescendo rather than having demi finals a week early followed by some final warm up matches.

Its more to do with the tournament should a crescendo rather than having demi finals a week early followed by some final warm up matches.
I hear you but at the same time those semi's could be ambushes if only due to the nature of knock out rugby and the allure of the "form" sides to look past them and at the final. I remember we barely scraped past a very much unfancied Wales in 2019.

Yeah, thats it. The 6th and 7th best teams will play the 1st and 2nd in the semis and a team who plays some really nice rugby to watch (and with a potential to upset France or NZ) will almost certainly be out in the pools.

Ireland's run in is fine for a world cup, as Stormer more or less says if we're the best in the world we can get through it. I just think we'll only see 5 absolutely must watch games, two of them in the pool stages. Could have been a few more with more interesting 2nd v 3rd seed battles if done correctly.

I hear you but at the same time those semi's could be ambushes if only due to the nature of knock out rugby and the allure of the "form" sides to look past them and at the final. I remember we barely scraped past a very much unfancied Wales in 2019.
That Welsh team were grand slam champions. It'll be Fiji or bottom half RC / 6n teams in this year's semis.

?

They were the number 1 ranked side coming into that World Cup.

That Welsh team were grand slam champions. It'll be Fiji or bottom half RC / 6n teams in this year's semis.
?

They were the number 1 ranked side coming into that World Cup.
Fair enough if that's what the stats were at the time. In my mind I suppose I just never saw them as contenders for the ***le but then again I suppose we weren't either. Probably I put too much store in the idea of rwc "pedigree".

Fair enough if that's what the stats were at the time. In my mind I suppose I just never saw them as contenders for the ***le but then again I suppose we weren't either. Probably I put too much store in the idea of rwc "pedigree".
Don't worry only Welsh fans considered them real contenders ;)

I think everything was really tight in that tournament with no stand outs. This year we have a real clear top 3/4 (I think NZ in mainly reputation) who are all playing rugby at a better standard than anyone was in 2019.

Law 16 is the maul, 17 & 18 are the Mark & Ball in Touch & Quick Throws.

16.8 The ball carrier can go to ground as long as the ball is presented immediately.
16.9 All other players in a maul must endeavour to stay on their feet.

There's no other reference to players off their feet in law 16.
As Cobus wasn't bound to the maul, he was in open play, so 13 applies.
Only as you see it .but ga.e is in maul situation as I see it.
Law 17 maul unsuccessfully ends.
Law 18 maul Law.
I did miss 16 o reply of course my bad.
Use it had been called of course there is usually 2 calls which in this situation was unhelpful.
I have again now reason to see that it was an early call just in fact a correct it's a refs interpretation of what he sees.

Do you maybe remember it that way because they'd been absolutely decimated by injury at that point in time? They had consistently beaten us going into that game (I think) so there was a lot of uncertainty on the outcome of that game still.

Hmmm. Could Jonny be in trouble for this?
The current regulations enforced by the RFU stipulate that team medics are permitted to carry only water during matches.
1695746226156.png

Latest posts