• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] South Africa vs Scotland (10/09/2023)

I'm not going to make excuses for Kriel. I think we were lucky he didn't get a yellow but I will say that the way the media and casual fans are reacting on boards elsewhere you would swear that they believe that there is a conspiracy where somehow Rassie, Kriel, WR and reptilians are all in on it whatever it might be.
Agreed with you on not making excuses for Kriel. But on the media and casual fans, there was some heavy priming of the audience caused by the commentary and half time panel on Itv, it was a constant talking point and criticism, so not surprised fans have taken a similar strong stance on it.

This is an area where I think there is work needed on the bunker system - post review communication. All good and well saying it's being reviewed in the background, but to avoid outcry, at the next break after a decision from the bunker, clearly explain to the unhappy captain (and fans watching) the reason why it hasn't been taken further instead of just a "we reviewed, nothing in it" or whatever similar basic sentence they say.

clearly explain to the unhappy captain (and fans watching) the reason why it hasn't been taken further instead of just a "we reviewed, nothing in it" or whatever similar basic sentence they say.
This is a good shout, fans were quite rightly left baffled in the England/Argentina game where they saw is quick succession a player not acting maliciously being told he's no longer playing and another clearly acting reckless being told he could return.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. My thoughts. That is a RC. No conspiracy, no nothing, ref made a mistake, that's all.
Two comments.

1)
From the link

"Not that I have to educate you on this, but we all know that if it isn't direct head contact – which it wasn't, because he made contact on the ball and then moved up after he tackled on the ball – then it is not an issue."

If i understand correctly, he is stating that if your arms made first contact, and they did so legally, then the head clash is as if it never happened. I don't believe that is true.

2) The second video does look better. The problem i have is with 'why?' it looks better. My opinion is it looks better precisely because it prevents you from watching quite a relevant piece of the puzzle here.

my two cents.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. My thoughts. That is a RC. No conspiracy, no nothing, ref made a mistake, that's all.
Two comments.

1)
From the link

"Not that I have to educate you on this, but we all know that if it isn't direct head contact – which it wasn't, because he made contact on the ball and then moved up after he tackled on the ball – then it is not an issue."

If i understand correctly, he is stating that if your arms made first contact, and they did so legally, then the head clash is as if it never happened. I don't believe that is true.

2) The second video does look better. The problem i have is with 'why?' it looks better. My opinion is it looks better precisely because it prevents you from watching quite a relevant piece of the puzzle here.

my two cents.

Fair points, yea on his first I don't agree with him. I think there is maybe some mitigation if it is indirect and then less force in the hit, but not irrelevant that head contact took place. Head contact is head contact.

I thought from the second angle it looked better because it was clearer that the knock back/whiplash to the attacking players upper body was from the hit on the ball, (which also rose up a bit against his body towards his chin) rather than a ricochet effect of the player making contact with head to head.

Appreciate the neutral view 👍. The correct answer for Kriel is get lower so we don't have these issues. If he gets cited and is out for three weeks (or whatever it is) then so be it.

This is an area where I think there is work needed on the bunker system - post review communication. All good and well saying it's being reviewed in the background, but to avoid outcry, at the next break after a decision from the bunker, clearly explain to the unhappy captain (and fans watching) the reason why it hasn't been taken further instead of just a "we reviewed, nothing in it" or whatever similar basic sentence they say.

Yup agreed. I think this is particularly pertinent when there is contact with the head. Both Ritchie and Russell (Captain and VC) asked the ref to look at it and heard nothing further.

The consensus in Scotland is that SA won fair and square and that the Scots own lack of accuracy/performance was more of a factor than the ref. Just have to take it on the chin and move on. Congrats to SA.

Rassie on the Kriel hit:
Second angle looks significantly less bad than the one all the screenshots are coming from (embedded video in the link, it shows the first angle, then the Curry hit, then the second angle). It's definitely secondary contact rising up from making contact with the ball as Rassie said, but I'm really not sure what the law says on this.

I know I'm a Saffa so not going to comment further on it. But intrigued on the view of others with that second angle. @Cruz_del_Sur , thoughts?
Neutral in this.

For me, the second is better because it doesn't show head to head contact, because the camera's on the wrong side. Not showing foul play always looks better than showing foul play.
For me, I could always tell that there was collision with the ball between the players, that amount of bounce simple doesn't happen without some form of compression-release between the players - but that's me, can't comment on other people's opinions.
From the first angle, we know that head on head contact happened, and that there was a reasonable degree of force, and the the tackle was entered into with force.

From the text "Not that I have to educate you on this, but we all know that if it isn't direct head contact – which it wasn't, because he made contact on the ball and then moved up after he tackled on the ball – then it is not an issue." to the best of my knowledge, that's what we call gaslighting. Its not true, it's a lie, and one that's aimed to have us all believing Rassie over the evidence of the last few years and the written law.
"Direct head contact" = one head hits another head =/= first contact is between heads.
The debate is the colour of the card, not whether it was a legal tackle or otherwise. In the WR framework we' going down route 3. There is a very fall for the final point noted for potential mitigation (contact is indirect), but that's mitigation of sanction, not legality.

FTR, SA were well deserved winners, and I suspect would still have won, even had the card been red (I suspect that a TMO would have seen that as a starting point of red, mitigated down to yellow, based on the initial contact)
Framework.png

Last edited:
Agreed with you on not making excuses for Kriel. But on the media and casual fans, there was some heavy priming of the audience caused by the commentary and half time panel on Itv, it was a constant talking point and criticism, so not surprised fans have taken a similar strong stance on it.

The thing is the top nations are always going to be (often wrongly) judged more harshly and be deemed to get away with a lot, NZ spent years being accused of similar then you factor in the Razi affect and it's not hard to see why and some of it probably is self inflicted in terms of coaching setup influence rather than player.

No-one has mentioned South Africa's god awful kit yet…..😳

We had to deal with it throughout the Rugby Championship, we are all used to our toothpaste kit on our end at this point.

We had to deal with it throughout the Rugby Championship, we are all used to our toothpaste kit on our end at this point.
It's awful, I feel sorry for you having that.
I thought the colour was spearmint, how does that relate to the colours of SA in any way ?!

I've seen kits far worse than this one. It's an alternate kit. Not worth the debate anyway. But some South Africans (not necessarily here but still) act like this permanently replaced the green and gold which is not the case.

Massive overreactions.

It's awful, I feel sorry for you having that.
I thought the colour was spearmint, how does that relate to the colours of SA in any way ?!
We are a victim of the new colour blind laws, Our kit is darker and in most cases will need to be changed. only two of our games are confirmed to be in the original kit. I have read reports that SA rugby and NZ will challenge the decision in court at some point as it represents a loss of income due to the brand being potentially damaged by not getting to play in your main kit, teams with darker kit will be most affected and with that said no reason Nike could not just design a plain white kit, which has historically been used.

Latest posts