• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] South Africa vs Scotland (10/09/2023)

I mean, both have beaten SA in the last calendar year. Don't think SA are anywhere near as unbeatable as people make out.

Sometimes, their forwards dismantle their opposite numbers so comprehensively that leaves me wondering if there's a side in the world who can cope with their forward power sufficiently to beat them. As you say, it doesn't happen enough to make me seriously think that it might actually be the case.

Interestingly, I see that they're now favorites for the tournament.

Tough watch for a Scotland fan, suffocated out of the game by a god defensive line from the boks. We just weren't able to find a way out, the line out and scrum weren't reliable to apply pressure.

I kinda like SA as my second team, but there is some cynicism that really grates on my love of the game - they got lucky with the non red and maybe us too with a non yellow.

Officiating didn't have a great day at the office all round IMO.

Think Scotland need to rebuild and do everything to heap the pressure on to Ireland last game

You know your setup better than I, it would be a strange universe where ranked no1 didn't have confidence against a ranked lower team, I might have more confidence if Leinster having been dominant all season hadn't walked away with a grand total of FA, I appreciate its different and a fair bit of leadership probably comes from players from other teams, this is simply my opinion as a neutral.
Absolutely fair enough!!! Opinions are opinions! I guess my main point is that today mostly didn't boost SA in my estimations.

Absolutely fair enough!!! Opinions are opinions! I guess my main point is that today mostly didn't boost SA in my estimations.
I think they showed that their scrum can be dominant when called upon. They also can score tries even when they aren't dominant through some magic. Holding Scotland to 3 points isn't easy. It wasn't the prettiest game but not every win is going to be pretty.

Interestingly, I see that they're now favorites for the tournament.
World no 1 ranking also now at least for another 2 weeks for what it's worth. Ugly but a job done.

I do think though for higher honors we are going to miss Etzebeth and Pollard. Am as well but he wasn't 100 percent even before injury and all sides are missing someone.

World no 1 ranking also now at least for another 2 weeks for what it's worth. Ugly but a job done.

I do think though for higher honors we are going to miss Etzebeth and Pollard. Am as well but he wasn't 100 percent even before injury and all sides are missing someone.
No SA still stay 2nd and Scotland 5th, just

Screenshot_2023-09-10-19-39-01-490_com.android.chrome.jpg

Yes, winning by 15 point margin gives us .88 points and we only .74 or. 76 behind Ireland.
I make you 1 point shy
"For each match, there are only five possible outcomes that can affect points exchanges: either side winning by more than 15 points, either side winning by up to 15 points, or a draw."

ETA: Sorry, looks like simultaneous posting with AlRums

I was dead sure it was 15+ and not more than 15. Have they changed it recently do you know?

I was dead sure it was 15+ and not more than 15. Have they changed it recently do you know?
Not to my knowledge, but it's not something I look at particularly often; and when I do, I tend to just trust the calculator

His cross kick for the try was sublime and was the only true outstanding individual play of the match followed by Russell's 50:22
4th or 5th time I've watched Van-D-M stray infield to allow a try. This time he allowed a clever kick to be caught by a circus dwarf!

We won today because of our defense. PSDT got assigned his special job of sprinting up into the middle of the field and either obstructing the pass or smashing the receiver (rather than his normally assigned role of smash the flyhalf). I really think a lot of credit needs to go to the coaching staff on that work, they completely nullified a very strong attack and dominated territory. Russell was constantly having to pass through multiple Boks or drift a bit hoping that someone would make a run passed the defenders.

Think it should've been 18-10 at the end, and Darcy should get a harsh talking to for not making the pass. Same with DVDM, when he had a side line two on one but didn't pass.

Not terribly convincing on attack, but we got the job done in an intensely physical game. We also need to just assign our placekicking to Faf or Willemse to take the pressure off Libbok. He is a great attacking weapon, but the post kicking is too risky. 2007 had our fullback as the kicker, why does it have to be the flyhalf? Faf kicked a great conversion from the corner today. Let's let him take the role in the next game to see how he does in a full match.

Hopefully DDA gets seen as the second set centre to AE after that one. Lot of bashing up which wasn't very effective. Also really was a weird cameo from WLR, he was uncharacteristically terrible and every time he touched the ball it was some sort of turnover. Mbonambi's lineout throwing was not ideal and we need to get tighter on our mauls. I'm not worried about those few scrum penalties though, think we will get that smoothed out and we got some decent penalties in the second half.

Overall, very content with that result. Scotland are very strong at the moment and to win with a 15 point margin is probably more than we could've asked for.

Hard day for Scotland but you get another bite at Ireland. Sucks on the refereeing but I wouldn't have put it past SA to win with 14 tbf.

Latest posts