• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 QF4] France vs South Africa (15/10/2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's within the laws, timed perfectly to exploit a kicker who has an extremely slow kick action, which starts after a long period of standing still. Just like in the other examples, where some players take a step back before they Kick, or do a tiny shuffle before they kick it. Those were ruled within the law, as this one was, correctly. That's my opinion.

Wow at the Rassie tweet.

Last edited:
I'm assuming this was discussed earlier in the thread but interesting Rassie planned to call a scrum from a mark to force the French pack to move around the park rather than stand as statues while kick tennis goes on (apparently not because he felt his scrum was dominant). On the one hand I get it because I too think the French have fitness issues. On the other hand teams struggling with increased "ball in play" time seem to intentionally scrum as a way to slow the game down and get a breather. Plus the risk of conceding a penalty in your 22 on the whim of a referee.

So yeah, it looked strange at the time and on reflection it still looks a little strange. I don't expect a repeat against England as I don't think they have the same fitness issues.

I'm assuming this was discussed earlier in the thread but interesting Rassie planned to call a scrum from a mark to force the French pack to move around the park rather than stand as statues while kick tennis goes on (apparently not because he felt his scrum was dominant). On the one hand I get it because I too think the French have fitness issues. On the other hand teams struggling with increased "ball in play" time seem to intentionally scrum as a way to slow the game down and get a breather. Plus the risk of conceding a penalty in your 22 on the whim of a referee.

So yeah, it looked strange at the time and on reflection it still looks a little strange. I don't expect a repeat against England as I don't think they have the same fitness issues.
I thought it was more about gaining territory through a penalty and get the throw in rather than a clearing kick with the opposition getting the throw in.

Its certainly a tactic. And one that worries me a lot if a team is dominating scrum time. I hate using scrums to buy penalties and this is an extension of that idea.

I thought it was more about gaining territory through a penalty and get the throw in rather than a clearing kick with the opposition getting the throw in.

Its certainly a tactic. And one that worries me a lot if a team is dominating scrum time. I hate using scrums to buy penalties and this is an extension of that idea.
He could just be messing about with his explanation but it reads like he is being sincere.

It's within the laws, timed perfectly to exploit a kicker who has an extremely slow kick action, which starts after a long period of standing still. Just like in the other examples, where some players take a step back before they Kick, or do a tiny shuffle before they kick it. Those were ruled within the law, as this one was, correctly. That's my opinion.

Wow at the Rassie tweet.

Let's hope for him he has the provision to buy his ticket as well, not to mention the whole SA team and staff 😂

Let's hope for him he has the provision to buy his ticket as well, not to mention the whole SA team and staff 😂
Selective reading like selective seeing? He didn't say that. Like he addresses in the tweet, before focusing on death threats towards his players.

Selective reading like selective seeing? He didn't say that. Like he addresses in the tweet, before focusing on death threats towards his players.
Much better than selective thinking 😁
You can have a big forehead, a large rugby brain and a very small brain. Maybe you should think too much about it ..

Much better than selective thinking 😁
You can have a big forehead, a large rugby brain and a very small brain. Maybe you should think too much about it ..
Yeah. As I thought. Enjoy whatever you are doing the next two weekends.

When you see someone as calm as Dupont being upset during the game you know something is wrong.
I watched the game again, could find 4 (or 5) french non-referred penalties (offsides mainly, a high tackle by Penaud), and 12 to 15 obvious SA non-referred penalties. And there's too much big decisions here (Etzebeth inteception, Danty face hit by du Toit, last SA penalty that should have been for France...). Kolbe save is legit imo.

Last time I had this feeling was in 2011 final with Craig Joubert.

Smart, witty, so creative, endless imagination. True to form 😁
And you are insulting not only me with your Saffa comments, but every one of us on the forum. Good stuff. Says quite a lot about you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts