• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 QF3] England vs Fiji (15/10/2023)

Yeah EJ asked him to put on a lot of mass, when EJ got the boot he promptly lost a lot of it and ended the season playing some of his best rugby this RWC cycle
Wouldn't be surprised if Borthwick has told him to bulk up again, he told Ben Curry he was too small during the 6N
The obsession with size is a little annoying. I think big fellas obviously have a role to play but you just don't need every single player in your pack to be hulking behemoths - particularly your flankers. See for e.g. Kwagga Smith, Ardie Sav, M Hooper etc

Wish they'd drop the number of bench players already and make these quivering sacks of meat redundant.

The big issue, among many, is the complete lack of intensity with England. Everything is slow and ponderous and it's worrying how gassed we look at the 60 minute mark, to the extent sides that traditionally are supposed to be the ones tiring there are finishing stronger. It's not even like we are getting tired playing high intensity rugby, we are getting knackered playing slow, low intensity rugby.
That's what I was thinking. Watching NZ/Ire and Fra/SA both fast, high intensity games. I can't imagine England being able to handle that kind of speed.

No, England was the better team and deserved to win the game. Im not saying we had a great game but not embarrassment. First half was pretty decent.

Next bit is irrelevant, England also missed 3 kicks at goal and had many opportunities to score in the first half.

As the rest argument as old as time on here funding and registered players. According to Rugby Paper Fiji are 6th in terms of registered players ahead of Ireland, Wales, Scotland and many others. Should Fiji be embarrassed they're doing worse in the rankings then those teams of course not.
I don't know where you they get their numbers - there are 9,000 registered adult players in Fiji.

It's a tiny country. there's only 70,000 males aged 18-30 and of them, of which half are Indians who don't play rugby much.

The obsession with size is a little annoying.

Yeah you need to wonder with some players if their size compromises their performance. I'm sure Billy Vunipola is fit, but at 130kg surely he's sacrificing some speed and mobility. Ardie Savea is the same height, but 35kg lighter. That's a sh!tload of weight. I'd like to see Billy's fitness test results.

Yeah EJ asked him to put on a lot of mass, when EJ got the boot he promptly lost a lot of it and ended the season playing some of his best rugby this RWC cycle
Wouldn't be surprised if Borthwick has told him to bulk up again, he told Ben Curry he was too small during the 6N

Players all have different physiologies. Some will carry weight better than others.

Earl's definitely bulked up but is playing the best rugby of his career and seemingly has kept all his speed.

Underhill's just always been built like a brick outhouse, although never been cited as especially heavy.

I'd guess that Curry's natural build is smaller than those 2. He's actually listed as heavier than both if you're daft enough to believe Wiki. To me, at times, Curry *looks* pumped, almost body built in the sense of carrying a lot more weight than his frame was designed for. Of course that could all be nonsense, but that's what it looks like to me.

Natural strength is also a real thing, irrespective of what the scales say. Pumped up cruiserweight v natural heavyweight.

Interesting to see what happens next. Earl's nailed down a shirt but there are other good potential 8 options and he plays most of his club rugby at 7. Underhill will probably be back. Pearson will emerge. Do we want a lock type at 6? Will Curry nail his colours to a mast? For me he's probably best a bit lighter and more mobile, but if that's not what the coach wants…..

Fiji head coach Simon Raiwalui has announced plans to step down at the end of the year after his team's Rugby World Cup campaign ended.

Raiwalui, 49, guided Fiji to a first World Cup quarter-final for 16 years after wins over Australia and Georgia in the pool stage in France.

Hopefully someone is brought in who can push Fiji on further after the successful world cup

I don't think we have enough mass in the right places thoigh.

I want big massive men at prop and lock. All this talk of skilful rugby is a bit of a joke when France and SA both have massive men who are also skilful and fast. Genetic wonders.

Eddie Jones?
Foster's available. Even though former ABs coaches abide by an unwritten self-imposed rule that they won't coach another country's national team against the ABs, we'll make an exemption for Foster. But he'll probably **** up the Fijians!!

I don't think we have enough mass in the right places thoigh.

I want big massive men at prop and lock. All this talk of skilful rugby is a bit of a joke when France and SA both have massive men who are also skilful and fast. Genetic wonders.
SA aren't actually that massive man for man. Their pack was a decent amount lighter than the Wallabies. They're just savages when switched on.

I wonder if they can bring that intensity three matches in a row.

SA aren't actually that massive man for man. Their pack was a decent amount lighter than the Wallabies. They're just savages when switched on.

Can England bring that intensity for 1 game?

I disagree from looking at them, they all look massive compared to England. But it might be my perception and I might be wrong so sorry if I am. It's also impossible to check as rugby treats stats like secrets rather than embracing them.

But yes they also bring that savage intensity that is hitting harder than hard whereas some of the English front 5 seem softer than Swiss roll!

Can England bring that intensity for 1 game?
My worry is that they can in a one off game. I know this is so cliche but if England can have a strong opening 20 mins then all bets are off. Let's hope for the good of humanity that SA blitz them early doors and never look back but I've got a horrible feeling England are going to make a game of this.

Racing have put out a press release having a crack at Curry for the "violent tackle without the arms" that injured Tuisova.

Didn't he play on for like an hour after the tackle?
Maybe their issue should be with the Fijian medics cause that can't have done much good after such a brutal and sustained violent assault upon him

So apparently only four of englands starting eight had any Carries whatsoever.
#BorthwickTacticalMasterclass

He's just taking it back to basics - like the level of age grade rugby where you can play 80mins and never see the ball because the 9/10 only passes to their mates and then they just take contact instead of passing it on

Latest posts