• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] France vs Italy (06/10/2023)

Feels a bit mad that even after last week's hammering Italy pretty much are a win away from the knockouts and France after a relatively smooth tournament could be home despite being one of the favourites.

Normally I'd expect this game to garner a lot more anticipation but shipping 96 points is going to kill off any discussion of an upset. It's a pity because in a vacuum this would be one to look forward to after Italy pushed France all the way in February. If they manage to turn it around they have the capacity to threaten but it seems hard to picture that happening this week.

Crowley has a huge job on his hands to try pick his players up and get them into focus for Friday's game. A beating that bad is going to be hard to take and they really can't afford to linger on it.

Yeah. If 6N form Italy were here this had upset written all over it (or at least, a one score game for France). I have never seen an italian defence so poor and heartless. France should be walking in tries with any selected XV.

Italy: 15 Ange Capuozzo, 14 Pierre Bruno, 13 Juan Ignacio Brex, 12 Paolo Garbisi, 11 Montanna Ioane, 10 Tommaso Allan, 9 Stephen Varney, 8 Lorenzo Cannone, 7 Michele Lamaro (c), 6 Sebastian Negri, 5 Federico Ruzza, 4 Niccolo Cannone, 3 Pietro Ceccarelli, 2 Hame Faiva, 1 Simone Ferrari

Replacements: 16 Marco Manfredi, 17 Federico Zani, 18 Marco Riccioni, 19 David Sisi, 20 Manuel Zuliani, 21 Alessandro Fusco, 22 Luca Morisi, 23 Lorenzo Pani

Capuozzo at FB = good
Trying a FH at 12 again = a bit desperate

At least there is a legitimate attacking threat with this lineup.

France: 15 Thomas Ramos, 14 Damian Penaud, 13 Gael Fickou, 12 Jonathan Danty, 11 Louis Bielle-Biarrey, 10 Matthieu Jalibert, 9 Maxime Lucu, 8 Gregory Alldritt, 7 Charles Ollivon (c), 6 Anthony Jelonch, 5 Thibaud Flament, 4 Cameron Woki, 3 Uini Atonio, 2 Peato Mauvaka, 1 Cyril Baille

Replacements: 16 Pierre Bourgarit, 17 Reda Wardi, 18 Dorian Aldegheri, 19 Romain Taofifenua, 20 Francois Cros, 21 Baptiste Couilloud, 22 Yoram Moefana, 23 Melvyn Jaminet

If Italy can keep it tight in the first 20mins I can see them scoring a couple of tries and keeping it within 18 points. I don't think that will happen. Crowley is mentally on a plane to Japan and its impacting on the squad.

France 47 - 6 Italy

Italy are serial disappointers. All bark no bite.

Jokes on them though. They could easily have ended that play far earlier by kicking it from outside the 22 and letting Italy have the ball back. That's how a proper team does it.

Why the three do they really respect Italy that much given beating NZ, then what Nz did to them!

I usually say "its the hope that kills you" when it comes to Italy. But there has been none since early on the warm ups. Already shipped more points than I expected them to score. I'll be having a relaxed next 75mins, dulled to the disappointment over decades. Barely mustering a curse as the lineout falls apart.

Latest posts