• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Fiji vs Portugal (08/10/2023)

If Fiji lose this, then it will be the second world cup in a row they have been beaten by a much lesser team.
2019 - Loss to Uruguay.
they shud have won the group and be playing Argentina and therefore in the Semi's....1 game away from the final.....and therefore 2 wins from Winning and the system could not allow that.

Portugal were great, and shows how much potential there is for the game in Europe. Unfortunately its time for them to get back into the box, and re-opened in four years time when we want to play "World" Cup.

That's just rubbish if you look at Cricket Ebony Rainford-Brent, Isa Guha and Mel Jones all give excellent insight and commentary. Gender or even playing the game does not make you an excellent pundit. Never had dome and never will do.
Add Laura Davies in golf, superb commentator

Really? Fiji were terrible tonight and awful last week. At what point do you see that them having to play their first XV is messing them up? We just need to stop playing two 10s.... easier fix
Yeah OK …

Actually I think the bigger issue for Fiji is psychological. I might be misinterpreting it, but it feels to me like they've struggled as a little bit of pressure has come on. That's probably England's best shot. As crap as we may be right now, we are coming in off the back of a 100% record in the pool rather than ending it with a loss to a lower ranked team.

To put it simply, I think it's more likely we win because Fiji bottle it rather than because we play well.

Last edited:
Add Laura Davies in golf, superb commentator
Good for them, but what's it got to do with rugby?

Do you believe anyone is criticising them for being women? They're being criticised for doing a bad job, and being forced on screen because they are women.

As mentioned Maggie Alphonsi does a decent job, these 2 are clearly not selected because they're good.

Good for them, but what's it got to do with rugby?

Do you believe anyone is criticising them for being women? They're being criticised for doing a bad job, and being forced on screen because they are women.

As mentioned Maggie Alphonsi does a decent job, these 2 are clearly not selected because they're good.

Actually you go back to the comment those two people countered it was literally a guy who was complaining about her being solely a woman and commentating on a mans game

"I don't want to an ex woman's player commentating on a man's game, and likewise a ex male player commentating on a woman's game"

She was poor, but for context someone was complaining merely about her being a woman

Actually you go back to the comment those two people countered it was literally a guy who was complaining about her being solely a woman and commentating on a mans game

"I don't want to an ex woman's player commentating on a man's game, and likewise a ex male player commentating on a woman's game"

She was poor, but for context someone was complaining merely about her being a woman
I mean you've rephrased it for your own purposes, but I believe you meant this quote:

'I don't get the obsession with having ex women's players on the pundit panel, just like I'd not be arsed to see ex male players commenting on the women's games.'

I read it as him not getting why, having shoehorned in women in every facet for the sake of there being a womans voice, and not for the content she can provide. Everyone agrees the ITV commentary has been awful, and the 2 prominent women have been dire, Nolli I thought was having a stroke last night with her claims of Portugal turning up to fulfil fixtures, Fiji winning to get through etc.

We can criticise women, its allowed. And the way these underperforming women have been given hugely prominent spots on TV is crazy, they have ignored real insight for genetalia IMO. As unsaid previously, I dont dislike Maggi Alphonsi, she has what seems to be a deep working knowledge and ability to speak about it in front of a crowd.

Maybe I misinterpreted the original quote wrong, and it was a lambasting against women, but I genuinely think he was referring to their performance and insight into the game.

Latest posts