• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Fiji vs Portugal (08/10/2023)

I dont think Australia fans will even watch this, but they do technically still have a chance of qualifications Fiji slip up.

Hard on Fiji, that first loss has really pressured their tournament.

Wales win first up, and cruise past Portugal with a second team, before throwing the kitchen sink at Aus and making 11 changes to their 23 for Georgia.

ComparitivelyFiji lose first up, play a knockout game against Aus, then another knockout game v Georgia, before a tense knockout game v Portugal.

Wales go into final game using all their squad, first team starting just 2 games, half an injury, and no suspensions.

Fiji go into final game needing to perform, needing to use their first team, who have all player 3 knockout games, 2 of which were exhausting and tight...

It goes to show how important winning first up is, 2 teams, similar records, very different scenarios

I dont think Australia fans will even watch this, but they do technically still have a chance of qualifications Fiji slip up.

Hard on Fiji, that first loss has really pressured their tournament.

Wales win first up, and cruise past Portugal with a second team, before throwing the kitchen sink at Aus and making 11 changes to their 23 for Georgia.

ComparitivelyFiji lose first up, play a knockout game against Aus, then another knockout game v Georgia, before a tense knockout game v Portugal.

Wales go into final game using all their squad, first team starting just 2 games, half an injury, and no suspensions.

Fiji go into final game needing to perform, needing to use their first team, who have all player 3 knockout games, 2 of which were exhausting and tight...

It goes to show how important winning first up is, 2 teams, similar records, very different scenarios
Fiji will still have the advantage because Portugal have used their first team players in the last three games as well

Fiji will still have the advantage because Portugal have used their first team players in the last three games as well
So have Fiji. I would also add Fiji have played 3 knockout games, AND have another to play in 2 weeks so have the added pressure of taking their eye off the prize

Honestly this feels like a game Fiji could lose.
IDK I'm so desperate for them to go as far as possible.

But Portugal are decent and I just feel Fiji will start slow.

Fiji still has potent weapons like former Olympian Jiuta Wainiqolo, Filimoni Botitu and Sireli Maqala, all considered 2nd best players because they couldn't perform as expected during the Pacific Nations Cup, but when they on the good mood, they can do outrages things like they normally do in the Top 14.I think the only issue is they might have to rest Josua Tuisova with Drua and Bristol Bears bound, Kalivati Ravouvou, coming in, with Levani Botia too rested. Both were Fiji's main weapon winning big plays in the breakdown.

I kinda agree. Fiji are a temperamental team and this is a heavy game. A slow start, allowing an early try from Portugal, too much anxiety followed up by a poorly timed tackle and a trigger-happy TMO? You've got a hell of a problem.

It's hardly the most likely scenario, granted, but it is not that far-fetched.

Chances are a Fiji England QF, ill be cheering England(obviously), if Fiji win ill be cheering them over the rest of the tournement as its great to see them coming on and not just being that team that does Flying Fijian stuff then has zero decapline. And actually putting some good performances together.

Josua Tuisova has missed the funeral of his seven-year-old son to help Fiji secure qualification for the quarter-finals of the Rugby World Cup in their final pool match against Portugal.

The Fijian centre was told of his son ***o's death last week before the team's game against Georgia on Saturday. The Pacific Islanders recovered from a 9-0 half-time deficit to win 17-12 and leave them needing only one point from this weekend's meeting with Os Lobos to reach the last eight.

The funeral of ***o, who died after a long illness, took place in Votua, Ba on Tuesday morning. Fiji Village reported that Tuisova's father, Isikeli Ratulevu, had spoken to the 29-year-old, who said he was unable to attend the funeral.

I mean some things are just bigger than a rugby match

I just cant fathom this. No criticism to him, he does what he feels best, but I cant imagine he can possibly be focused going into this game!!!

A friend of mine has a disgraceful bet, Tuisova to get red carded within 20 mins, odds are great apparently but i couldnt see myself laying that bet out!

I kinda agree. Fiji are a temperamental team and this is a heavy game. A slow start, allowing an early try from Portugal, too much anxiety followed up by a poorly timed tackle and a trigger-happy TMO? You've got a hell of a problem.

It's hardly the most likely scenario, granted, but it is not that far-fetched.
Weirdly, I would feel more confident in Fiji if they had to win by 40 points. In that scenario, there's no confusion, they would have to run the ball and play to their traditional strengths. This is nothing against Portugal, who have been a breath of fresh air at this World Cup, but I hope Fiji blitz it in the first 20 minutes and not allow any anxiety to fester. Come out fast, get 2 or 3 tries up, and then just manage the game. With the talent in the team, they should be able to do that - but I have my doubts. A bad start and pressure do strange things.

Weirdly, I would feel more confident in Fiji if they had to win by 40 points. In that scenario, there's no confusion, they would have to run the ball and play to their traditional strengths. This is nothing against Portugal, who have been a breath of fresh air at this World Cup, but I hope Fiji blitz it in the first 20 minutes and not allow any anxiety to fester. Come out fast, get 2 or 3 tries up, and then just manage the game. With the talent in the team, they should be able to do that - but I have my doubts. A bad start and pressure do strange things.
Portugal have scored first in 2 of their 3 games so far havnt they, or at least in within 20 mins.

They got their try against Wales on 30 odd mins too didnt they?

Portugal have scored first in 2 of their 3 games so far havnt they, or at least in within 20 mins.

They got their try against Wales on 30 odd mins too didnt they?
I think they scored the try against Wales in the second half but I remember that the game was close at half-time. It was 7-3 if memory serves me right (could be wrong). Portugal started well against Australia and Wales, it was the Georgia game where they were dominated first half and should have been out of it.

I think they scored the try against Wales in the second half but I remember that the game was close at half-time. It was 7-3 if memory serves me right (could be wrong). Portugal started well against Australia and Wales, it was the Georgia game where they were dominated first half and should have been out of it.
Ah no your partly right.

Wales scored a 40 odd minute second try to make it 14-3, it was a second half try they scored.

They were dominated by Georgia but managed to be in the game v Georgia, and certainly were in the Welsh game. I think they were a bit undone by the yellow against Aus, but they should have had 2 first half tries, instead of just the one, and they definately had another try in the second chalked off unfairly.

I think Fijis biggest issue going into it is going to be patience, Portugal have tries in them, they scramble passionately and there will be mistakes. I think Fiji have to do to Portugal, what Wales didnt manage to do to Fiji in 2007, relax, impliment their strengths and wait for errors.

If Fiji panic and start to play wild I see Portugal capitalising. If Fiji play with the handbrake on, keep it tighter for long periods, hold ball successfully they'll cruise to victory

Opposite actually. Portugal were better in the 2nd half. Georgia were better in the 1st.

Opposite actually. Portugal were better in the 2nd half. Georgia were better in the 1st.
That's what i was saying - maybe didn't make it obvious with what I wrote. Georgia did a number on them in the first half.

Who's the Fijian kicker for this game? Lomani?

Fiji playing with fire with some player rotation. Portugal sadly without their fullback and with their captain on the bench. So i don't expect Portugal to be as explosive and therefore...

Fiji 24 - 12 Portugal

Latest posts