• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Australia vs Portugal (01/10/2023)

Curry got a red card because his name made the TMO hungry and he was mad he still had 78mins of game to officiate before he could hit up the buffet

Australia dominated Georgia and everyone thought they were back. Turns out Georgia correctly chose australia as an easy game and it backfired.

Australia finish the pool stage (at least) with a negative PD.

They aren't just below average, they're below average for Pool C
I mean, writing is on the wall for NZ rugby as well. Just a few years behind us.

Quick question, so the teams that finish third automatically qualify for the next World Cup but the next World Cup is going to be held in Australia so that does that mean as hosts it goes down to the team finishing fourth if Australia finish third??

Quick question, so the teams that finish third automatically qualify for the next World Cup but the next World Cup is going to be held in Australia so that does that mean as hosts it goes down to the team finishing fourth if Australia finish third??
Ooh, good question. The answer is no, unless something has changed.

Looking at 2019, France (hosts this time) finished second in their group and Argentina got the last auto qualifying spot for third. Tonga finished 4th in their group and had to qualify for 2023.

In 2015 Japan (hosts in 2019) finished 3rd in their group and Samoa, who finished 4th in the same group, had to qualify for 2019 (or at least, I am near certain about that).

Ooh, good question. The answer is no, unless something has changed.

Looking at 2019, France (hosts this time) finished second in their group and Argentina got the last auto qualifying spot for third. Tonga finished 4th in their group and had to qualify for 2023.

In 2015 Japan (hosts in 2019) finished 3rd in their group and Samoa, who finished 4th in the same group, had to qualify for 2019 (or at least, I am near certain about that).
Thanks for the reply
That's a bummer for the team that will finish fourth, going to have all the 3rd place teams at the World Cup and one have to go through a qualifying campaign just seems unfair

Surely not many calling Steve Hansen a traitor now? He contributed to this almighty mess and then criticises the Aussie union for not binning a Super Rugby team. Were they late with his pay cheque or something? :p

No.
If Australia finish 3rd, it'd be no different to the next host finishing 2nd or 1st.
Either way, I think the host is only on top of the by-rights qualifier if they're not one of the by-rights qualifiers.

Australia were pretty good in the first half, and then they just fell away. Portugal are fun to watch and never gave up. Long may their progress continue.
Pretty good game.