• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Australia vs Portugal (01/10/2023)

As if we wanted to watch any more of Aus than strictly necessary

Last edited:
Imo it's 100% a bad thing but I suppose a bit of it should be expected. It'd be nice if they minimized its use instead of referring every-single-bloody-call to the bunker.

We are 2 millimeters away from having a robot on the field who blindly follows the calls from a booth. And 3 millimeters away from having an AI at the bunker that gets rugby's laws and 10 million games with cases as inputs and spits out the calls. You want consistency? Careful of what you wish for.

Then again, I reckon i am a minority.

Yeah it's interesting. I'm not playing the same game as Rory McIlroy when I go out and play golf each weekend. I can get the same equipment and everything but I'll play on courses that have wider fairways, longer grass on fairways and greens and shorter rough and that's even if I go and the same courses he does. I don't have ball spotters or access to the data that he has to prepare (even if I wanted to pay for it).

These guys are the best at what they do and it's their livelihood. An injustice there is a lot bigger than an injustice in your hobby. The issue would be lower pro levels that don't have the facilities but harming the elite level isn't the way to fix that.

Oh well we gave our all that yellow in the 1st half did us in, but ever so proud that we have played 3 games and we have not been smashed in any of them.
Yes, a very good showing by Portugal and winning a lot of new fans. They may look back with regret on not beating Georgia or getting at least one BP here. With better executiin and avoiding that yellow card anything could have happened today. I think they've every reason to think they can give Fiji some kind of contest.

Kind of tragic the Wallabies have to stick around for a week to see if Fiji implode. What a miserable week that will be unless EJ lets them let down their hair.

Nope they have score a point against Portugal next week.

Love hearing from the Portugal Captain and Coach post match. They're both annoyed and don't want to just make up numbers looking for a win next week.
Interesting that one of the commentators brought up that he would love to see a shield for all the teams that get knocked out in the group stage

Interesting that one of the commentators brought up that he would love to see a shield for all the teams that get knocked out in the group stage
Very good point especially for teir 2 or 3 nations.
Think there is a simple version so each gets 1 game extra after being eliminated.
Decent world ranking points can be given.
OK Scotland and Australia might hate this ( of course guessing results to come)
But nice game for others and tv audience in mid week between the knockout games.

Very good point especially for teir 2 or 3 nations.
Think there is a simple version so each gets 1 game extra after being eliminated.
Decent world ranking points can be given.
OK Scotland and Australia might hate this ( of course guessing results to come)
But nice game for others and tv audience in mid week between the knockout games.
Spot on even if it only involves fourth and fifth teams in the groups, as whore-of-shame. Mentioned above.

A shield would only be acceptable if it was exclusively for 4th and 5th place teams for a spot at the next cup. Amateur hour participation trophy otherwise.

I'd rather not have it in all honesty, far better ways to get exposure for smaller teams.
I agree about 4th and 5th. But we also have the problem that the world cup is too large with some teams clearly making up numbers. And the rest weeks especially this one kills tournament momentum.

The argument against a shield is allowing Australia and Scotland to compete. There by defintion has to be at least two Tier 1 scalps and obody want to watch matches leading to their punch ups. But Italy and the other nations could probably do with some proper decent competition matches between themselves.

Latest posts