[RWC2023] Italy vs Uruguay (20/09/2023)

Bruce_ma gooshvili

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Georgia
1645hrs UTC+1 - early kickoff midweek???

Italy: 15 Ange Capuozzo, 14 Lorenzo Pani, 13 Juan Ignacio Brex, 12 Paolo Garbisi, 11 Montanna Ioane, 10 Tommaso Allan, 9 Alessandro Garbisi, 8 Lorenzo Cannone, 7 Michele Lamaro (c), 6 Sebastian Negri, 5 Federico Ruzza, 4 Niccolo Cannone, 3 Marco Riccioni, 2 Giacomo Nicotera, 1 Danilo Fischetti

Replacements: 16 Luca Bigi, 17 Federico Zani, 18 Pietro Ceccarelli, 19 Dino Lamb, 20 Manuel Zuliani, 21 Giovanni Pettinelli, 22 Alessandro Fusco, 23 Paolo Odogwu

Last edited:
Arguably the biggest match of the pool stage (along with Wales vs Fiji) in terms of the possibility of a Tier1 missing out on auto qualification for RWC2027. It will be interesting to see if the ref 'does a Carley' if Uruguay start threatening for a win ( personally I suspect the ref will be totally impartial as I have a lot of faith in refs generally). Anyway, there are some large political implications for this match.

Uruguay will be slightly disadvantaged with a 6 day turnaround against a rested Italy, but that's not as bad as some of the joke scheduling in previous RWCs and you get the same in the 6N with a Sat game following a Sunday.

I don't think Allan is physical enough to play 12, so I like this alternative experiment to get him, Garbisi and Capuozzo on the pitch at the same time while maintaining a much more attacking outlook than Allan at fullback and Capuozzo on the wing (which frankly stank). I assume Morisi must be injured and this is an enforced experiment, but there does seem to be minor squad rotation by Italy, which is barking mad if that is the case. Forgive me ancestors, but I hope for this one game the experiment fails utterly.

The main thing will be whether Uruguay play safe with game manager Berchesi at 10 or roll the dice with Etcheverry. I hope the younger lad starts with it being close enough in the final quarter for Berchesi to coolly close it out.

A man can dream...

EDIT: Etcheverry it is. And he is 27, so not a pup. Berchesi is 32 which may explain him playing second fiddle.

I'm generally pro-ref but I'm not so big on Gardner. I've never thought he was partisan, just not the best and a has a condescending manner.

Anyway, apparently Garbisi has played 12 for his club so this isn't totally mad. I can't say I think it is an obvious option for him, he is pretty slow. I am quite fancying Uruguay to give Italy a minor heart attack, if they can kick penalties with any consistency. But with Allan and Capuozzo in their best position I think they will score enough points to distance Uruguay.

Italy 29 - 20 Uruguay

I'm going with a Uruguay win. A close match, but I think they'll do it.

No downward pressure as his hand was under the ball. Early smells of Wales vs Fiji again.

I think even a penalty is a bit harsh on Negri, will happen at plenty more rucks today.

Latest posts