• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] New Zealand vs Italy (29/09/2023)

I think the important part is mentioned above, Ireland will be kicking their lips, seeing media ramp up the kiwi threat.

Ireland are no.1, been dominant over NZ and France for a few years, now beaten SA in a RWC pool, and handily (I disagree the goal kicking was the difference).
Ireland are solid favourites, but want to be underdogs.
Not sure how you have come to the conclusion Ireland have been dominant over France for a few years, France were grand slam champions tournament before last and then lost to Ireland away, they have been pretty closely matched….

Ah stop tempering expectations would ya! We're the team to beat, not them, when you focus on Ireland the question is "how the **** do you beat these guys?" That question isn't there for NZ, we know exactly how to beat them and know that we can do it.

That's not to say we will win but it'll be a failure if we don't.
Agreed. I think your Irish compatriot was trying to shift the pressure off his mob, and/or have the Kiwi's talk themselves up :D not going to work. The only ones who think the world is a different place today than it was last week are the click-bait media and the overly excited casual fans.

I had been looking to dissect this performance in regards to the upcoming Irish match, but after ten minutes came to the conclusion that this was going to be a beer and popcorn match to enjoy rather than ruminate on. That being said, there are some takeaways for NZ,

1. Good for confidence. There were moments of hesitancy on attack, i.e. take the tackle or keep running into space, but NZ generally got the balance right.
2. Lineout was really good, and having three excellent locks and six (?) takes by Frizzel on top of that, makes me comfortable that we will fair well against Ireland in the lineouts. A bad day for the Hooker can obviously negate all this though :D
3. Scrum was fine.
4. Richie and D-Mac on-form with place kicks.
5. D-Mac really adds so much to the AB attack.

Few weak points still evident,

1. Missed touch from an early penalty.
2. BB still no-one's preferred option except the head coach's. A poor chip-kick, a poor shovel pass, and I don't believe he hit the line in attack either. However the coach will persist so we'll just have to live with it.

For Ireland, I think NZ's best chance of winning will lie with Joe Schmidt, hopefully he will know the weakness of the system he contributed to developing. From my perspective it is pretty hard to beat accurate and consistent. Creating messiness maybe, grubber kicks behind the line, playing deep? I don't know...

I do know that we should avoid playing down James Lowe's wing, and target Mack Hansen instead. James is a machine in the turnover, and to minimise his involvement in the game will be worth about 6 points I reckon. SA got that decision wrong in my opinion, and they will need to learn from that should they meet IRE again.

Agreed. I think your Irish compatriot was trying to shift the pressure off his mob, and/or have the Kiwi's talk themselves up :D not going to work. The only ones who think the world is a different place today than it was last week are the click-bait media and the overly excited casual fans.

I had been looking to dissect this performance in regards to the upcoming Irish match, but after ten minutes came to the conclusion that this was going to be a beer and popcorn match to enjoy rather than ruminate on. That being said, there are some takeaways for NZ,

1. Good for confidence. There were moments of hesitancy on attack, i.e. take the tackle or keep running into space, but NZ generally got the balance right.
2. Lineout was really good, and having three excellent locks and six (?) takes by Frizzel on top of that, makes me comfortable that we will fair well against Ireland in the lineouts. A bad day for the Hooker can obviously negate all this though :D
3. Scrum was fine.

2. BB still no-one's preferred option except the head coach's. A poor chip-kick, a poor shovel pass, and I don't believe he hit the line in attack either. However the coach will persist so we'll just have to live with it.

For Ireland, I think NZ's best chance of winning will lie with Joe Schmidt, hopefully he will know the weakness of the system he contributed to developing. From my perspective it is pretty hard to beat accurate and consistent. Creating messiness maybe, grubber kicks behind the line, playing deep? I don't know...

I do know that we should avoid playing down James Lowe's wing, and target Mack Hansen instead. James is a machine in the turnover, and to minimise his involvement in the game will be worth about 6 points I reckon. SA got that decision wrong in my opinion, and they will need to learn from that should they meet IRE again.

👏

Not sure how you have come to the conclusion Ireland have been dominant over France for a few years, France were grand slam champions tournament before last and then lost to Ireland away, they have been pretty closely matched….

32-19 this year was a blow out, France werent really in the game.

France snuk past ireland last year.

I get what your saying, and they have been closely matched, but performances this season Ireland have been a level up!

SA imho are the only team matching France and Ireland, and let'be honest Ireland dispatched of them without a photo finish. NZ showed themselves lacking in firepower up front.

32-19 this year was a blow out, France werent really in the game.

France snuk past ireland last year.

I get what your saying, and they have been closely matched, but performances this season Ireland have been a level up!

SA imho are the only team matching France and Ireland, and let'be honest Ireland dispatched of them without a photo finish. NZ showed themselves lacking in firepower up front.
I have to disagree with your SA/Ire photo finish, if SA had had a decent kicker on board it could have been very different

3. Conceding penalties, as always. We weren't even under pressure and still conceded them. Though TBF not getting carded is progress

The ABs need BB in the team for off-field reasons. He brings in the money - half of the domestic market are only interested in their Beau. Though yes, on-field he's overrated. Maybe he'll be given a rest during QFs 🤞

That was a perfect storm....AB's finally executed their game plan effectively....and Italy we're really bad, disappointingly so, several overthrown lines outs, several holding on penalties...soft defence

It was enjoyable to watch but we need to be careful it doesnt paper over the cracks..yes we executed the game plan...but that once on several tests and against a team that didn't come to play...will it work against Ireland srush defence even if we do our part?

That was a perfect storm....AB's finally executed their game plan effectively....and Italy we're really bad, disappointingly so, several overthrown lines outs, several holding on penalties...soft defence

It was enjoyable to watch but we need to be careful it doesnt paper over the cracks..yes we executed the game plan...but that once on several tests and against a team that didn't come to play...will it work against Ireland srush defence even if we do our part?

As far as pressure and expectation goes, there isn't much on the ABs. This is when they're at their most dangerous.

Latest posts