• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] New Zealand vs Namibia (15/09/2023)

I love rugby but there is obviously no chance for Namibia. Such a dead rubber game which holds no interest for me.

All Blacks might be seething after that loss to France so I worry for Namibia even more. I just hope they score a try!

I love rugby but there is obviously no chance for Namibia. Such a dead rubber game which holds no interest for me.

All Blacks might be seething after that loss to France so I worry for Namibia even more. I just hope they score a try!
Completely agree, can we stop the pretence that the pool matches really matter, this is absolutely pointless.

And then what, we ignore Namibia for another four years, then remember them when we need a world cup?
....not sure when i said that....if you'd been here for more than a couple of days you'd know that im the first to say we should be doing things like making everyone qualify for the World cup so tier 1 nations have to play tier 2/3 nations at least twice each over the intervening 3 years

but given the current situation, as wrong as it is....it does have some importance

....not sure when i said that....if you'd been here for more than a couple of days you'd know that im the first to say we should be doing things like making everyone qualify for the World cup so tier 1 nations have to play tier 2/3 nations at least twice each over the intervening 3 years

but given the current situation, as wrong as it is....it does have some importance
I like the idea of some sort of plate competition running along side the knock out rounds. Excluding the tier one sides or something.

I like the idea of some sort of plate competition running along side the knock out rounds. Excluding the tier one sides or something.
i think if we made qualifying a bigger thing in the off years, spain and romania gatting to host England and France etc....then we could make the big show 16 teams, less mismatched games, more of a spectacle of rugby whilst giving emerging teams exposure to the top teams

i think if we made qualifying a bigger thing in the off years, spain and romania gatting to host England and France etc....then we could make the big show 16 teams, less mismatched games, more of a spectacle of rugby whilst giving emerging teams exposure to the top teams
I've said before, I'd have 8 automatic qualifiers (the quarter finalists), and a 24-team qualifying tournament a year out to provide the next 8

NZ hot off back to back losses are sure to lose this one as well. No chance I would say.

The whole round, outside Aus v Fiji, is a dead rubber.

Rugby is actually an extremely predictable sport. Genuine upsets are super rare and that's why they are such a big deal when they happen (still talking about Japan beating SA 8 years later as an example).

This this this. And sort out the draw at the same time.
Exactly.
I'd have that tourney (4 pools of 6, top 2 go through) as 5 matches each in the June/July window, and draw the pools based on rankings at that point (before the QN starts).
If the practicalities allowed (and I doubt that they would) I'd then have a knock-out phase for everyone from the 24-team tourney who failed to qualify for the RWC "proper". If not practical, then each pool could be held in a different country.

For me, the question would be when to make the draw for the qualifying tournament, as it would affect touring plans that are put in place a decent way in advance.

It would mean that, if we took the rankings as of 1st January 2021 to the hold a 2022 qualifying tournament (excluding the 2019 quarter finalists, and excluding any geographic considerations), the pools would have been.
Pool A: Scotland, USA, Spain, Namibia, Netherlands, Kenya
Pool B: Argentina, Samoa, Uruguay, Canada, Brazil, Korea
Pool C: Fiji, Italy, Romania, Hong Kong, Belgium, Germany
Pool D: Georgia, Tonga, Portugal, Russia, Switzerland, Chile

You'd expect the top seed from each group to win, but there are viable upsets (except Scotland), then a proper fight between each pool's 2nd and 3rd seeds.

Assuming the top 2 seeds, then (with the proviso that rankings would have been changed as a result of different matches happening at that point) from the rankings end of July 2022, this world cup would likely be
Pool A: Ireland, Wales, Argentina, Tonga
Pool B: France, Scotland, Japan, USA/Spain
Pool C: South Africa, Australia, Samoa/Uruguay, Italy
Pool D: New Zealand, England, Fiji, Georgia

Which looks a tonne more balanced than what we've got.

Last edited:
New Zealand: B Barrett; Clarke, Leinert-Brown, Havili, Fainga'anuku; McKenzie, Roigard; Tuungafasi, Taukei'aho, Laulala, Retallick, Whitelock, Jacobson, Papali'i, Savea (capt).

Replacements: Coles, De Groot, Newell, S Barrett, Vaa'i, Smith, Mo'unga, Ioane.

Namibia: Loubser; Mouton, Deysel (capt), Malan, Rossouw; Swanepoel, Stevens; Benade, Van Jaarsveld, Coetzee, Retief, Uanivi, Conradie, Gaoseb, Hardwick.

Replacements: Van der Westhuizen, Sethie, Shifuka, Van Lill, Booysen, Katjijeko, Theron, Greyling.

Sure All blacks would have liked to use this as a rest game, however need to put out a decent team after 1st match.

i have no idea why savea and BB have to play this game, one is unbalancing our loosies forcing us to pick certain other players...and the other is just not in good form and this would have been a perfect game for jordan to get some minutes at 15

i have no idea why savea and BB have to play this game, one is unbalancing our loosies forcing us to pick certain other players...and the other is just not in good form and this would have been a perfect game for jordan to get some minutes at 15
It's such a random selection that reeks of being planless. why not do something like start who would be your top teams finishing 15, or finish with your top teams starting 15, or finish with your top teams finishing 15 but start other players. Something that helps with cohesion.

It's such a random selection that reeks of being planless. why not do something like start who would be your top teams finishing 15, or finish with your top teams starting 15, or finish with your top teams finishing 15 but start other players. Something that helps with cohesion.
so, we're going to have to play close to our top team against italy, cant risk losing that now....so, assuming fizzell, BBBR, Lomax and Jordie are fit again...IF we make the QF....we might have 4 guys just back from injury and at least two that have played every game this year.....that does not sound like what people normally want going into knock out rugby

playing the two of them do often is actually stinting depth in those positions...like we havent even taken a number 8 in the squad....most of the squad gets rotated TOO much so lots of players dont get time to settle into a position...but those too are the opposite

and if savea is so god like that he never breaks, is undroppable and is the vice captain...that ends up being captain so often because cane gets so many injuries...just make savea the captain and let us develop someone else at 7....or play saeva at 7 and let us develop a big 8

damn fozzie

edit: i forgot Cane!....5!...5 guys coming back from injury

Last edited:
Let's assume they haven't changed their preferred 23. That means the finishing 15 would be something like
Ofa
Taukeiaho
Laulala
Barrett
Retallick
Blackadder
Cane
Savea
Christie
Mounga
Faingaanuku
Jordie
Alb
Telea
Jordan

So, I would have started that, but replacing cane with papalii and Jordie with havili with reserves of
Williams
Coles
Newell
Vaai
Jacobson
Roigard
Mckenzie
Havili

so, we're going to have to play close to our top team against italy, cant risk losing that now....so, assuming fizzell, BBBR, Lomax and Jordie are fit again...IF we make the QF....we might have 4 guys just back from injury and at least two that have played every game this year.....that does not sound like what people normally want going into knock out rugby

playing the two of them do often is actually stinting depth in those positions...like we havent even taken a number 8 in the squad....most of the squad gets rotated TOO much so lots of players dont get time to settle into a position...but those too are the opposite

and if savea is so god like that he never breaks, is undroppable and is the vice captain...that ends up being captain so often because cane gets so many injuries...just make savea the captain and let us develop someone else at 7....or play saeva at 7 and let us develop a big 8

damn fozzie

edit: i forgot Cane!....5!...5 guys coming back from injury
Savea is in the worst form f his career too, so maybe that is further evidence he could do with a rest.

Last edited:
Let's assume they haven't changed their preferred 23. That means the finishing 15 would be something like
Ofa
Taukeiaho
Laulala
Barrett
Retallick
Blackadder
Cane
Savea
Christie
Mounga
Faingaanuku
Jordie
Alb
Telea
Jordan

So, I would have started that, but replacing cane with papalii, with reserves of
Williams
Coles
Newell
Vaai
Jacobson
Roigard
Mckenzie
Havili

Savea is in the worst form f his career too, so maybe that is further evidence he could do with a rest.
even when Savea is being awesome....its like having michael jordan/tiger woods/michael phelps in the team...yes, superstar, world beater...but is it working with the rest of the team? his unpredictable ball running etc just gets him isolated too often, yes he's just driven an extra five meters with a couple of tacklers hanging off him...but not hes behind their line surrounds by jackles and with no support

Latest posts