• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] New Zealand vs Uruguay (05/10/2023)

Roigard is having a mare. Slow at the base, poor box kicking, going for snipes when they aren't on.
god i love this game....another forum im on he's being talked about as MotM, in everything, attacking the line, not just passing. depending on what your looking for you can see the game completely differently

"Paul Grayson
Former England fly-half on BBC Radio 5 Sports Extra
Uruguay will point at the scoreboard and say we're better than Italy. They didn't concede 90-plus points. They kept New Zealand out for 20 minutes.
What they learnt today they'll take home and implement against lesser teams. Their curve is only upwards."

Paul Grayson does realise that Italy beat Uruguay fairly recently right....

If Lomax is fit wont he be starting in the quarter finals? He has been the allblacks starting tighthead for the last 2 years.
thats the issue, he's not fit, first game back from that huge leg gash so needs minutes in the legs

god i love this game....another forum im on he's being talked about as MotM, in everything, attacking the line, not just passing. depending on what your looking for you can see the game completely differently
At that point of the game when I messaged this 100% stood. He improved as it went on.

Kiwiwomble's brain isn't poisoned enough to understand a squidge tweet
....i actually went and found the tweet to check if the comments explained...i get it now...thats a niche stat

The ABs last 3 results have been ridiculous:

71-3, 96-17 and now 73-0.

Even though they weren't great against Fra they still drew the try count and were way ahead on some key stats like metres gained, carries over the gain line and defenders beaten. Their big issue was discipline - 12 pens conceded and a yellow against 4 from Fra. Somehow also managed to concede 12 v Namibia and a red. 7 conceded under little pressure v both Ita and Uru.

They're beatable, but if teams don't shut them down they will take advantage. And while the Boks thumped them at HQ the ABs did them in the Rugby Championship. Remain my dark horses.

i just have to add i was actually really impressed with Uruguay, especially the first 30 mins, i think the score ultimately flattered us a little or at least showed the importance of 80mins performances...but Uruguay shows some really good shape, tackle technique, attacking intent in that 20-30 mins, really hope they keep improving, having Uruguay up closer to Argentinas level would be awesome for world rugby

Followed the path of most games between (so called) big teams and ( minnow).
Minnow try like crazy and well at start then run out of puff.
Fair play to Uruguay good effort.
NZ have 4th best teams chance.
I've not written them off by any means.
Savea however makes the team so much better.
Riogard ball alot of time was poor due to 8s inability to control properly. Still a livewire for me off bench.

For this game I will be watching the following;

no cards
less than 3 penalties in each half
penalty kicks finding touch
set pieces to remain tight
good kicking in general play

our style is already set, so hoping for some innovative back moves from set play is not going to happen, although we did use a grid-iron style back flick from Jordie & co. three times in the Italy game. Worked only for attempt #3. We appear to have a simple attacking plan here which worries me as the big teams won't give us much to work with and i'd be way more comfortable if we had our own attacking structure to run from phase play rather than live off mistakes or errors.
how did we do?

no cards - 🤙 (although Vaa'i might have had a yellow on another day for the check on the Uruguay winger, who then made an ER episode out of it, currently being piloted by NBC I hear)
less than 3 penalties in each half - 🤙 7 in total, so I'll let it pass
penalty kicks finding touch - 🤙 all found, although Jordie made about 6 meters with his first one I think (don't we have a left footer on the team anywhere)
set pieces to remain tight - 🤙 great scrum, nearly awarded a penalty every time, I don't think the Uruguayan scrum was dominated that much by the French. Lineout worked well too, as did the maul defence, pushing the south-Americans backwards quite easily.
good kicking in general play - 🤙 not a lot done, one box kick from Cam was short, and when BB came on he put his usual aimless kick down-field.

So I have to give the AB's a good score for successfully doing these things.

On the critical side, BB kicked long when we hadn't kicked long all game until he came on. The kick gave the Uru's 25 metres of free space to do as they please. BB also powered one over the dead ball line from 40 metres out when given a massive hole to run into, and Christie on his inside. Dmac had another exceptional game and really we have to start with him, and keep BB on the bench only for injury back-up.

Leicester gone done like a Xmas dinner early on, coming up to tackle, and his chase back on the winger was slow and lethargic, being outsprinted by his own forwards ( a prop and Jacobsen I think). He redeemed himself somewhat by really hunting for work in the last 30 minutes, but I think he needs a few more years before he's ready.

Some poor identification & communication between the forwards and backs, particularly the instance where Dmac is the sole defender in a ruck, and all the forwards move ten meters away preparing for a set of something, exposing us to an easy counter ruck, and not only does Cam not clear it asap, but he then decides to snipe around the ruck and gets tackled, and the closet player is ten meters away. The ref called it back for an earlier infringement, so nothing came of it. But I just can't believe that professional players would make such basic errors.

Attachments

• 1696586916380.png
    1696586916380.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 0
how did we do?

no cards - 🤙 (although Vaa'i might have had a yellow on another day for the check on the Uruguay winger, who then made an ER episode out of it, currently being piloted by NBC I hear)
less than 3 penalties in each half - 🤙 7 in total, so I'll let it pass
penalty kicks finding touch - 🤙 all found, although Jordie made about 6 meters with his first one I think (don't we have a left footer on the team anywhere)
set pieces to remain tight - 🤙 great scrum, nearly awarded a penalty every time, I don't think the Uruguayan scrum was dominated that much by the French. Lineout worked well too, as did the maul defence, pushing the south-Americans backwards quite easily.
good kicking in general play - 🤙 not a lot done, one box kick from Cam was short, and when BB came on he put his usual aimless kick down-field.

So I have to give the AB's a good score for successfully doing these things.

On the critical side, BB kicked long when we hadn't kicked long all game until he came on. The kick gave the Uru's 25 metres of free space to do as they please. BB also powered one over the dead ball line from 40 metres out when given a massive hole to run into, and Christie on his inside. Dmac had another exceptional game and really we have to start with him, and keep BB on the bench only for injury back-up.

Leicester gone done like a Xmas dinner early on, coming up to tackle, and his chase back on the winger was slow and lethargic, being outsprinted by his own forwards ( a prop and Jacobsen I think). He redeemed himself somewhat by really hunting for work in the last 30 minutes, but I think he needs a few more years before he's ready.

Some poor identification & communication between the forwards and backs, particularly the instance where Dmac is the sole defender in a ruck, and all the forwards move ten meters away preparing for a set of something, exposing us to an easy counter ruck, and not only does Cam not clear it asap, but he then decides to snipe around the ruck and gets tackled, and the closet player is ten meters away. The ref called it back for an earlier infringement, so nothing came of it. But I just can't believe that professional players would make such basic errors.
Lomax injured after 9 minutes.

Kind of tragic to see such a plucky and accomplished start by Uruguay turn into that. Fitness differences are larger than ever, I suspect due to the "ball in play" rules (which I favour). If you've less fitness and you are defending as the weaker team you just seem to go pop at around 20mins with zero chance to recover before the final whistle.

Hard to read NZ from that. They barely looked the better team for 20mins and their selection was stronger than the French one that struggled against Uruguay.

thats doesnt feel right...im sure we've been kept scoreless for more time even in the last few years

edit:...a month ago against south africa it was 70min before our first points.....

I think his grammar is a bit off; I think he meant a team the AB's have played for the very first time

Latest posts