• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Fiji vs Portugal (08/10/2023)

I mean you've rephrased it for your own purposes, but I believe you meant this quote:

'I don't get the obsession with having ex women's players on the pundit panel, just like I'd not be arsed to see ex male players commenting on the women's games.'

I read it as him not getting why, having shoehorned in women in every facet for the sake of there being a womans voice, and not for the content she can provide. Everyone agrees the ITV commentary has been awful, and the 2 prominent women have been dire, Nolli I thought was having a stroke last night with her claims of Portugal turning up to fulfil fixtures, Fiji winning to get through etc.

We can criticise women, its allowed. And the way these underperforming women have been given hugely prominent spots on TV is crazy, they have ignored real insight for genetalia IMO. As unsaid previously, I dont dislike Maggi Alphonsi, she has what seems to be a deep working knowledge and ability to speak about it in front of a crowd.

Maybe I misinterpreted the original quote wrong, and it was a lambasting against women, but I genuinely think he was referring to their performance and insight into the game.

According to this he is:

Saw another article saying he also works in finance in Dubai as well as coaching, might be retiring from coaching after 16yrs in charge?
Damm, and there I was starting to like him...

I mean you've rephrased it for your own purposes, but I believe you meant this quote:

'I don't get the obsession with having ex women's players on the pundit panel, just like I'd not be arsed to see ex male players commenting on the women's games.'

I read it as him not getting why, having shoehorned in women in every facet for the sake of there being a womans voice, and not for the content she can provide. Everyone agrees the ITV commentary has been awful, and the 2 prominent women have been dire, Nolli I thought was having a stroke last night with her claims of Portugal turning up to fulfil fixtures, Fiji winning to get through etc.

We can criticise women, its allowed. And the way these underperforming women have been given hugely prominent spots on TV is crazy, they have ignored real insight for genetalia IMO. As unsaid previously, I dont dislike Maggi Alphonsi, she has what seems to be a deep working knowledge and ability to speak about it in front of a crowd.

Maybe I misinterpreted the original quote wrong, and it was a lambasting against women, but I genuinely think he was referring to their performance and insight into the game.
It's OK to say that someone's not doing a good enough job but it has quickly become about underperforming women in general rather than the one or two individuals in question. I don't see any reason why the problem should be described through a gender lens here, in an industry where your name alone is enough to get you a shot at punditry regardless of talent.

And on that point, for me, there are a ton of average and 'underperforming' commentators and pundits, many of whom are men but gender is rarely brought into it when we call them out. For consistency I'd have to question why this is the case? Since historically most if not all rugby commentators have been men, wouldn't you equally have to admit they were chosen for the sake of 'shoehorning' men in, to use the original phrase? I think we are personally just used to the old guard who have been commenting forever, some who are good and some who are pants. And when it comes to women pundits, they are largely pretty new to this having not bad so many gigs in the past.

Look I'm not here to claim that there aren't poor female pundits, there definitely are, but I for one don't see why gender needs to be immediately brought into it and feel pretty uncomfortable with the motivations of someone who does.

Back to rugby, hopefully.

It's OK to say that someone's not doing a good enough job but it has quickly become about underperforming women in general rather than the one or two individuals in question. I don't see any reason why the problem should be described through a gender lens here, in an industry where your name alone is enough to get you a shot at punditry regardless of talent.

And on that point, for me, there are a ton of average and 'underperforming' commentators and pundits, many of whom are men but gender is rarely brought into it when we call them out. For consistency I'd have to question why this is the case? Since historically most if not all rugby commentators have been men, wouldn't you equally have to admit they were chosen for the sake of 'shoehorning' men in, to use the original phrase? I think we are personally just used to the old guard who have been commenting forever, some who are good and some who are pants. And when it comes to women pundits, they are largely pretty new to this having not bad so many gigs in the past.

Look I'm not here to claim that there aren't poor female pundits, there definitely are, but I for one don't see why gender needs to be immediately brought into it and feel pretty uncomfortable with the motivations of someone who does.

Back to rugby, hopefully.
I totally get your point, there are some bad commentators out there, and noone references their gender. For example I cant stomache Gareth Thomas, and have never mentioned his gender.

I also 100% agree that I question the motivations of those who bring up gender ahem ITV lol.

So we agree, it should be the best person for the job?

Ps, disappointed with Shanklin, I used to like his commentary, I'm not sure if hes got wrapped up in the verbal dhiarea trend, but hes becoming more annoying also

Yeah, I like Shanks when alongside the very likeable Flatman in a pod format but not so much as a commentator. Shane Williams is another who's a bit meh even though he's obviously a god amongst men. I think Warburton always offers something albeit a bit bland.

Yeah, I like Shanks when alongside the very likeable Flatman in a pod format but not so much as a commentator. Shane Williams is another who's a bit meh even though he's obviously a god amongst men. I think Warburton always offers something albeit a bit bland.
How dare you criticise my new best friend!!! We have progressed from nodding to making jokes about the kids in the pool, I'm merely years away from a dinner invite.

I have warned my daughter to be nicer to his, currently she isnt a fan FFS. She has 4 weeks to play nice or I'm trading her in for another daughter who will hahaha

I have warned my daughter to be nicer to his, currently she isnt a fan FFS. She has 4 weeks to play nice or I'm trading her in for another daughter who will hahaha
children can be so annoying can't they. Like my nephew having a birthday party on the same day as the Georgia game. I have disassociated myself from him and now it's time you do the same with your daughter unless she bucks up her attitude.

Last edited:
Portugal (7) already has more cumulative RWC table points than Namibia (6), and Namibia has been at every RWC (7) since the days when you got table points just for showing up (1999)

This table excludes points for showing up and points from cancelled games. Equal weight to each RWC i.e. 6 out of 6 in 1987 is equivalent to 20 out of 20.
Georgia, Uruguay, Romania, Portugal are all pretty much in the same place

Table Point Percent Complete.png

Last edited:
All the videos I have watched of Portugal's return are amazing, the team have caught the imagination of the nation. What next, um, well, not getting any games against the six nation teams anytime soon

Latest posts