• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 SF2] England vs South Africa (21/10/2023)

The Boks / Bongi need to:

* Hire some PR consultants, or

* Start listening to the PR consultants they have, or

* If they are listening to PR advice get some new consultants.

This could / should have been put to bed weeks ago.
I don't think they care, SARU and fans what to play the us vs. them card. This feeds into everything they've done over this and other events.

TBF to SARU I don't think they've done anything particularly wrong in terms of aggrevating from their perspective other than they should of offered an explanation publicly when WR closed their investigation. But that's minor they offered support to their player and backed him you wouldn't expect them to do anything else.

Doubt boks care
They do it on purpose. Can't have a chip on your shoulder, siege mentality if everyone loves you so they create and feed controversy.

No coincidence they only got yappy around the World Cup this year and the Lions tour. They naturally had a lot to prove in 2019.

It's worked well.

It only fuels the hate for all things SA though which they deserve.
I get you're upset about the situation and I don't think it's the wisest response from Bongi/he is not acting professionally in his response to this situation. But I'd be careful about throwing out xenophobic statements in your annoyance.

Bongi: England were unprofessional

Also Bongi: Doesn't shake hands

Also also Bongi: Poses holding shirt

Seeing this got me thinking - did anyone look at footage from any other games to hear if SA indeed use that same call or communication in other games? It would be fishy if not.

I get you're upset about the situation and I don't think it's the wisest response from Bongi/he is not acting professionally in his response to this situation. But I'd be careful about throwing out xenophobic statements in your annoyance.
He was clearly talking about the rugby.

This "oh Bongi can't be racist, you're the racist" line that seems to be floating about now stinks

Bongi: England were unprofessional

Also Bongi: Poses holding shirt

Seeing this got me thinking - did anyone look at footage from any other games to hear if SA indeed use that same call or communication in other games? It would be fishy if not.
From the footage that was distributed I think the call is legit, he yells it 2 to 3 times.

The question is as reported what was said off the ball.

He was clearly talking about the rugby.

This "oh Bongi can't be racist, you're the racist" line that seems to be floating about now stinks

What bothers me the most about all this is that both sides are completely oblivious to the most likely scenario here, which is that Tom Curry heard something, interpreted it like something it wasn't, and was sincere in his complaint.

Literally lost in translation. That's the most likely scenario here. But noooo. We have people on either side of the conflict flocking to both extremes. One side accusing Mbonambi of racism bevause "Curry said so" and the other side accusing Curry of making it up.

Quite narrow minded from either side.

What bothers me the most about all this is that both sides are completely oblivious to the most likely scenario here, which is that Tom Curry heard something, interpreted it like something it wasn't, and was sincere in his complaint.

Literally lost in translation. That's the most likely scenario here.
I haven't seen many Englishman on this site suggest that this anything other than the most likely scenario. Just a desire WR, SARU and Bongi were handling it way better on clarifying this as fact.

At least we may get an atmosphere in twickers next time we play South Africa

From the footage that was distributed I think the call is legit, he yells it 2 to 3 times.

The question is as reported what was said off the ball.
Well I think I can safely say that none of us are smarter for having had to witness this going round in circles and how badly it has been handled on most sides
Could it be that we're dumber? Possibly. Time will tell..

I'm just talking rugby. But my statement still stands, they deserve all the hate they get with Rassie being Rassie and some of the worst fans out there with multiple death threats on refs and players and then to top it off Bongi being a prat and basically fuelling the fire of the death threats with his antics.

i cant remember the last post i saw anyting even asking a full investigation (other than the on going discussion here)....but the socials are full of SA fans posting about KANT this or KANT that like it a big joke....hardly the very serious racism argument that no one outside SA can truly understand

Last edited:
i cant remember the last post i saw even demanding a full investigation (other than the on going discussion here)....but the socials are full of SA fans posting about KANT this or KANT that like it a big joke....hardly the very serious racism argument that no one outside SA can truly understand
Add to the fact SA fans can't seem to make up their mind. On the one hand, demanding Curry apologise and saying he made the whole thing up and it was entirely malicious and on the other laughing at the similarity between what he claimed he said and what Curry alleged he heard. If Curry did think he heard what he alleges, he doesn't have to apologise for anything, even if that isn't what was said.

And as pointed out, we also hear about how incredibly bad it is to make an accusation of racism and yet SA fans and the player himself seem to just be using the whole thing as an excuse to troll and not treating it with the apparent seriousness we hear it should be treated with. I can't think of anyone outside SA who is looking at how the SA fans and player have reacted to this and see them as the aggrieved party here.

Latest posts