• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 SF2] England vs South Africa (21/10/2023)

Why even bother with the inquiry? You all have your minds made up. Do you need concrete closure or what? Anywyay, im out. Till the the next WC. Keep well.
No, we are asking the actual process for this sort of thing actually be followed. Is this not what the SA camp have been arguing for years? That proper processes be followed? Have we not all seen the videos of the SA management complaining when they felt it wasn't followed?

If the proper inquiry is done and it concludes there isn't enough evidence then fine, that's all that can be done. However I point again to my flipped scenario, are you honestly telling me that such a scenario would be swept under the carpet? Both how the RFU and SARU have reacted to this have been unexpected. The RFU doesn't tend to go in with strong language like this and the SARU and Bongi seem to have been very reluctant to simply go "it was a misunderstanding, end of" but are not at all reluctant to embrace trolling. Neither reaction is what you'd expect from a simple misunderstanding.

I have openly said I want it to simply be a misunderstanding and not assumed it was racism but the way Bongi has chosen to mock it rather than try to settle it down is quite telling. Even if innocent, the actions after are pathetic.

Last edited:
All I'll say is that if a player was accused of using a racist slur against a player of colour then this would not be dropped by world rugby and wild 100% be treated differently.

Double standards.

It's also odd that Bongi hasn't come out to explain what he said, like he doesn't care about the death threats to curry. Pure scum.

It was investigated and there was insufficient evidence. What more do you expect WR to do?

It was investigated and there was insufficient evidence. What more do you expect WR to do?
Uhhh have you been reading at all? They didn't interview the accused and the accussee at all or anyone who might be a witness to the event. The RFU statement after the "investigation" states this.

The bone of contention is WR didn't do a proper investigation. Not what the conclusion of the investigation they did do was.

Hate to tell you oral evidence is still evidence.

But some SA fans aren't interested in a proper investigation. They aren't even interested that neither Bongi or SAR have corroborated their theory on what happened.

As other have said if it was the other way around and Curry was accused he'd still be the one with death threats against him. He'd probably be currently suspended from both club and Country until the RFU (and Sale) had committed a full and through investigation.

To quote a line from a song
Silence is golden.
A chat handshake puts water on the fire.
He kind of looks stupid for not doing either.
Whatever was said.
Old fool here what happened on pitch stays on pitch solve before you leave it.
Both don't cover themselves in glory.

Tbh at this point I feel like Curry probably did mishear. But for Bongi/SA to be making a joke out of the situation is frankly just kind of odd. It just doesn't sit right with me.

As others have said, the SA posters here are top drawer and I would never want a single one of them to feel hurt by this whole situation. But SA fans on other platforms have been incredibly toxic. Like, absurdly toxic. I just hope it all gets figured out.

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

I don't know what exactly WRs investigation comprised of so can't comment. It would be interesting to see what ground was covered. If the rfu statement is fact and there is no reason to think otherwise it is sad as I see it as an opportunity to have had the air cleared.

Which gets me to posters saying Bongi is all manner of explitives for not shaking hands or whatnot. Here I am not going to give Bongi a break as some things are bigger than rugby and can't just stay on the field, I'm sorry. I don't believe a non South African can fully comprehend how serious a South African would take such an allegation.

And saru has in fact come out with an official response even if it is short and simply states that they have every belief in Bongis innocence and await findings.

Death threats to Curry... And not to get on tangent but how sad is it that we've also seen same for Reinach and Barnes as well... are revolting and should be a police issue.

The jersey given to Bongi was from the mayor of Cape Town. Even if you accept that SANS see the issue as settled and merely a misunderstanding I feel that the joke is in poor taste. I for one am sure that Curry was also sincere in his complaints and even if he wasn't it would set too dangerous a precedent to pursue any train of thought going in another direction.

At the end of the day I hope that Curry and Mbonambi can make up but I also doubt that it will because both will probably be waiting for an apology which comes down to differences in culture again. And if it is found that Mbonambi actually did abuse Curry I hope that comes out. Wish it were handled better but it wasn't. I also think it unfair to paint an entire nation with the same brush. We even get online abuse for the actions or non actions of non South Africans (WR, Barnes, O'Keefe) and then people are surprised if my countrymen react to it. Not the type of spice I'd like to have in our next encounter.

I don't believe a non South African can fully comprehend how serious a South African would take such an allegation.
If this is the case, then it makes it all the more baffling that they haven't gone to greater lengths to explain what actually went on. Rather, they've come out wearing a t shirt taking the **** out of the situation. So you can see how we might not comprehend how serious you all say you take it.

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

I don't know what exactly WRs investigation comprised of so can't comment. It would be interesting to see what ground was covered. If the rfu statement is fact and there is no reason to think otherwise it is sad as I see it as an opportunity to have had the air cleared.

Which gets me to posters saying Bongi is all manner of explitives for not shaking hands or whatnot. Here I am not going to give Bongi a break as some things are bigger than rugby and can't just stay on the field, I'm sorry. I don't believe a non South African can fully comprehend how serious a South African would take such an allegation.
I agree with most of your response and really don't feel every SA fan or otherwise should be held accountable for some individuals behaviours etc, if only a SA can comprehend how one would take such allegations the shirt Saga is an extremely poor message to send, how about showing a bit of maturity and trying to actually explain how they feel about their unique take on racism whilst also sympathising with Curry who felt he was genuinely being abused. Rugby is supposed to have strong moral foundations etc but the only one coming out of the SA camp with any real credit is Sia. Curry felt abused and nothing has actually been said to try and convince him otherwise.

If this is the case, then it makes it all the more baffling that they haven't gone to greater lengths to explain what actually went on. Rather, they've come out wearing a t shirt taking the **** out of the situation. So you can see how we might not comprehend how serious you all say you take it.
This, I really can't comprehend how you'd take an allegation that seriously without bending over backwards to explain yourself. the two things simply doesn't add up to me.

Bongi certainly isn't all manner of expletives for not reacting like that but he isn't covering himself in glory at all.

So mid game Curry needs to go and use google translate? 😂
Pretty much how I read it. I'm also trying to understand when anyone provided the RFU with this explanation because this is the first time anyone Bongi, Team or SARU have said it publically. I don't know how the RFU acted supposedly unprofessionally they had an accusation from one their players and they followed up on it in the manner they should have by any professional standards.

I mean I work for a large corperation and did Business Conduct training just 2 weeks ago that is given exactly the same globally. The RFU definitely acted within those pretty standard guidelines.

Professional behavior would of been him walking up to Curry shake his hand and explain the misunderstanding.

Except Bongi DOES speak English. Again if it was just a miscommunication, why all the trolling and secrecy? This stinks. Be can't even just say it was a misunderstanding without trying to get a dig in. Originally I thought this was a misunderstanding but I'm coming round to the view that it wasn't and he did it. Of all this things that would have been normal reactions from him, he has done none. If it was as serious as we keep hearing to accuse someone of racism, why do they keep trolling on the issue and reigniting it every chance they get?

We've had him refusing to shake Curry's hand, taking a shirt that was taking the **** and now making advice comments about how it's weird to think that someone who speaks English might use an English phrase just because they also happen to speak another language... Yeah if he didn't speak a word of English then fair enough but he does!

He's being a dick.

The Boks / Bongi need to:

* Hire some PR consultants, or

* Start listening to the PR consultants they have, or

* If they are listening to PR advice get some new consultants.

This could / should have been put to bed weeks ago.

Latest posts