• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] South Africa vs Ireland (23/09/2023)

You could be right.
I was sent the pic from a mate and just thought I'd put it out for discussion.
Any idea when in the game it was. Watching again now and the defensive shift he put in was insane. Could barely make it to the bench coming off.

Also interesting that SA won the first 15 mins 3-0 when we looked absolutely dominant and then it was the reverse in the last 15. The defensive effort was monumental.

Any idea when in the game it was. Watching again now and the defensive shift he put in was insane. Could barely make it to the bench coming off.

Also interesting that SA won the first 15 mins 3-0 when we looked absolutely dominant and then it was the reverse in the last 15. The defensive effort was monumental.
I think a large chunk of that was down to Irelands misfiring lineout. If you had a working lineout, I doubt you would have been kept to 0 in the first 15 mins.

No idea at what point it was. I'd guess it was after Jonny got a clattering in the 2nd half and looked a bit dazed.

The current regulations enforced by the RFU stipulate that team medics are permitted to carry only water during matches.
Are you sure about that?
Medics will carry first aid kits, kinda by definition.

A pitch-side medic without medical equipment is about as useful as a eunuch in a brothel

Games even more gone than I thought if we are gonna be ban taking illegal substances on the pitch in order to get through injuries

I can't imagine it'd be an illegal substance surely? Can't think there'd be anything in it the game is under such a microscope these days.

That's not very sound. Can you name one other national team in the World Cup that can consistently field people from two countries/nation-states?

And besides rugby and cricket, could you kindly list those 'many other sports' where Ireland feld a united-island team. Let's make it semi-serious and avoid sports like curling or korfball. Big, wannabe global sports.
Footie? No.
Olympic Games? No.
Doesn't get more global than those two. Hockey maybe? Still.

We can argue whether they representing Ireland as a whole makes sense or not, but they are basically given an option that every other single country doesn't have access to.
Missed the last load of pages, but since you asked, I'll give you: basketball, boxing, cricket, golf, hockey, lawn bowls, rugby league, tennis, swimming, athletics, rowing. There are more, but they might not pass your rather arbitrary "wannabe global" test.

The point that some seem to be making is that Ireland shouldn't be able to play as an all-Ireland team because that doesn't reflect the current reality of the relevant nation states. Somebody had better tell the English, Scots and Welsh, as by that reckoning they need to pack up and move out as separate teams...

Mind you, the eligibility rules laid down by World Rugby are a nonsense anyway, in my opinion; many teams have players from more than one country already, some of whom have already played full internationals for another.

Second time i really try to let this go, but i like to give a straight answer to a straight question, so here it goes:

I asked a question, you replied with 'since you asked' as a prelude to an answer, and yet you managed to avoid answering the question. Go figure. Mentioning other spots is disingenuous at best, plain ignorant at worst.

The point that some seem to be making is that Ireland shouldn't be able to play as an all-Ireland team because that doesn't reflect the current reality of the relevant nation states.
No, that was a corollary of the argument, not the core of it. If you want to put words in other people's mouths kindly make sure you grasp their arguments first.
To keep it simple the points are

1) They are the only ones allowed to do that
2) They benefit from that

And since you don't like 'arbitrary wannabe tests', those are facts.

NB: Olyy has asked us to drop this. I kinda respect the guy and this is his place, so I will. I dont like it but I understand his point. Happy to continue via pm tho.

Latest posts