• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Ireland vs Romania (09/09/2023)

Are you old enough to remember when we beat you 24-6 in Bucharest in 1983 and 15-9 in Cardiff on 10.12.1988?

Have you ever known that Romania was about to be invited to join the Five Nations in the 80s, but ultimately it could not be done as we were a Communist country?

Comparing San Marino (football) with Romania (rugby) is completely disrespectful and shows a poor knowledge of the history of the game...just for your info, we were invited to join the first-ever Rugby World Cup in 1987 and only missed one ever since over an administrative complaint.
I played the game so now a lot about it. It's just that it's just in Rugby there seems to be teams in final tournaments who are easily beaten. In the football world cup, it happens but it's nowhere commonplace, hence my point it should have never been expanded to 20 teams and Romania were not originally good enough to be in the 20, until it was noted Spain fielded an ineligible player.

I do have respect for your team and I lived in Cluj for a while in the mid 2000s. Mititei was my daily diet! (Those of you not in the know, Google it!).

It's a shame communism affected sports development and i am aware of the Six nations bid, especially having made many friends there.

I did say however in my original post that allowing teams that get beaten easily into the tournament, does at least allow promotion of the sport in the country concerned, as well as aid development in the game there as well with the prize money.

I hope one day that Romania become ENC winners regulars, and become Rugby World Cup regular qualifiers again, seeing you missed out 4 years ago on a points deduction.

I still remember it really well when I was in Sibiu, walked over Liars Bridge and went into a small shop and bought a few beers. One of them had "Rugby Romania" on the top of the can and from there I knew Romania had good sponsorship.

It's good that your country has a team that is playing in any world cup after the recent disappointments with the football team.

Last edited:
I played the game so now a lot about it. It's just that it's just in Rugby there seems to be teams in final tournaments who are easily beaten. In the football world cup, it happens but it's nowhere commonplace, hence my point it should have never been expanded to 20 teams and Romania were not originally good enough to be in the 20, until it was noted Spain fielded an ineligible player.

I do have respect for your team and I lived in Cluj for a while in the mid 2000s. Mititei was my daily diet! (Those of you not in the know, Google it!).

It's a shame communism affected sports development and i am aware of the Six nations bid, especially having made many friends there.

I did say however in my original post that allowing teams that get beaten easily into the tournament, does at least allow promotion of the sport in the country concerned, as well as aid development in the game there as well with the prize money.

I hope one day that Romania become ENC winners regulars, and become Rugby World Cup regular qualifiers again, seeing you missed out 4 years ago on a points deduction.

I still remember it really well when I was in Sibiu, walked over Liars Bridge and went into a small shop and bought a few beers. One of them had "Rugby Romania" on the top of the can and from there I knew Romania had good sponsorship.

It's good that your country has a team that is playing in any world cup after the recent disappointments with the football team.
All good, mate, thank you for the reply.