• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] South Africa vs Tonga (01/10/2023)

This is gonna be the point where we found out Farrell has been working from the inside for the last 8 years and has been planning Ireland's exit from the group stage ever since he got a load of stick from his Irish mates in 2015

Scotland need 8 or more points and no BP for either team (or 1 BP for Sco) to go through and eliminate Ireland

So, a result of 8-0 to Sco will do
When you say it like this, I allow myself a wee bit of hope!! It would be against the current run of results but, completely within Scotlands capability to do it. The bigger question is how to throw Ireland off their stride....

If it happens I'll be in for a lot "banter". It'd be a meltdown that I just can't see coming from this Ireland team though, expect us to win 25-7 or something similar.
Yeah me too. Ireland are just too good imo. Scotland would have to be at their best in the last 2 years, and Ireland at their worst the last 2 years.

Hang on. So I muted the half time talk and the pre-game chat since I don't think the ITV discussions add much value. But I just saw a tweet online… did Clive Woodward really say something along the lines of: he would leave "Mapimpi" on at Hooker instead of bringing on "this loose-forward bloke" at Hooker.

If he did that's next level of uselessness at your day job. Not knowing the names of both the players you are meant to be discussing is beyond amateur. Although Nisbett beat him to it on calling most of the SA team Mapimpi.

Hang on. So I muted the half time talk and the pre-game chat since I don't think the ITV discussions add much value. But I just saw a tweet online… did Clive Woodward really say something along the lines of: he would leave "Mapimpi" on at Hooker instead of bringing on "this loose-forward bloke" at Hooker.

If he did that's next level of uselessness at your day job. Not knowing the names of both the players you are meant to be discussing is beyond amateur. Although Nisbett beat him to it on calling most of the SA team Mapimpi.
People just love saying Mapimpi. Can't blame them. It's just rolls off the tongue.

I think Tonga were referred to as Fiji by the commentators at one point.

Looking at the Boks options on the previous page, it's pretty frightening if they get it right.

Bryan Habana is such a bad commentator wow. He was annoying AF.

Mapimpi out for the comp. Do SA bring a real boy hooker in now?

Wales getting involved would be wild.
The man did not look happy. And the swelling! I don't know who we bring in. TBH we don't really need anyone other than if we had a fit Marx or perhaps one of Am or De Jager available but even then you'd probably not risk them so in all likelyhood whoever we bring in isn't going to feature in any way.

You probably do bring in Dweba even though you still keep Fourie on the bench rather? We don't need winger replacement.

Is Akker vdM rubbish now?
Was playing as well as I've ever seen him at the end of the season, after suffering on an off with a lower leg injury
Was even hitting his man in the lineouts on a regular basis
This is actually 21/22, but basically how he was playing this year too

Was playing as well as I've ever seen him at the end of the season, after suffering on an off with a lower leg injury
Was even hitting his man in the lineouts on a regular basis
This is actually 21/22, but basically how he was playing this year too

I was a huge fan of his at the Lions. Always felt bad we capped him only once. He probably coulda played for Eng by now if not for that. He is at the Bulls now, so Im hoping he has a great season coming up. Already 32 though. We really have nothing after Marx. Bongi is made to look WAY better than he really is if Marx comes on or starts. Without him you see how average Bongi really is compared to him.

Grapevines are suggesting Am comes in.

I've never liked this mathematical permutations stuff. I don't like this head to head either. Team with most wins, go through. If wins are equal, then play an extra game to decide who goes through. To discourage the extra game, teams have to go all out to prove they are worthy 1 & 2 in the group. Most of you won't like this idea, but it's my idea, so I'm fine with it. :D

Last edited:
Dweba is so kak. Is Akker vdM rubbish now?
There is also Johan Grobbelaar who is decent. Kind of a poor man's Schalk Brits.

Otherwise continue doing what we are doing and do a reverse John Smit- You just know how good the scrum is going to be if we plat Nyakane at Hooker. We could also always ask nicely if we can get in Rob Herring now it seems Sheehan is fit and going well. Jokes aside, yeah, even at the Stormers I'd say I feel more comfortable with one of Venter or Kotze being starting hooker his basic game has been so erratic and on top of that it looks like he has lost the balance in his running and that explosiveness that made him such a threat ball in hand. I'd actually be surprised if we get him in in all honesty.
Grapevines are suggesting Am comes in.
Sure, but then again, would we ever field him ahead of Kriel and even Moodie (well, okay, probably ahead of Moodie as is) coming in cold as he would be? Probably better Am and have him as a squad player and there and training if we truly need to call on him than bring in Dweba..

I hate the above compared to a three way tie being points difference. It is so complex and I think increases potential for a fixed result in the final match. Thankfully

Ireland 28-49 Scotland (Boks go home)

does not seem a credible result for the pair to collude towards. I don't think there is any scope for collusion in any other pool.

South Africa did the necessary, and played well. Tonga tried, but they lack discipline and rounding off of their skills. Good game.

Latest posts