• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] England vs Japan (17/09/2023)

Watching Wales, England, Argentina, Japan and Australia so far… you really have to feel sorry for Scotland, they've been royally shafted.
I don't know, it's not as if Scotland played well in their opener if we are being honest. I was disappointed with the performance. Hopefully Scotland can improve in later games, they're a good watch when it clicks.

Luckily no danger of Farrell back to spoil the party. Honestly believe that lately England play better without him. He's not the best 10 in the squad (not the 2nd best either) and also not the best 12. Maybe he brings a lot to the training park, and ups the intensity during the warm up, but seems to me he's a brilliant captain just as long as he doesn't actually run onto the pitch.

(Sorry for being controversial in my first post, but that's my way. 'Half-pint' because I'm that little guy that winds people up on purpose. Oh? You know me??)
Well said re Farrell......No way is he better vthan eitherf Ford or Smith....especially Smith.....

I swear we get a game every so often where Ford gets to play alone and everyone finally wakes up to the fact he should of always been No. 1 10. Then Farrell comes back and everyone thinks ford needs the support for no bloody reason.
Farrell obviously plays to order.

Yeah...

Farrell starting 10 for Chile and the usual the march on from there. But I'm not sure it matters when the team as a whole looks so dire until the 75th minute

It's a win and England don't have the players to play flair rugby all the time so there playing to there strengths.I thought the tactics were spot on for this team and this game.After the build up to the tournament I'd consider two wins from two games a good start.who knows what can happen in one off knock out games later in the tournament.be positive 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Yup. Perhaps SB can see the limitations in this side and has stuck with this gameplan as they're not capable of playing a more expansive game? The few times they passed the ball outside the 12 channel (v Argentina) they looked lost, not doing the very basics, not drawing and passing, drifting onto their outside man, slow passes etc Compare that to Fiji, 2 mins to go and they throw hard, fast passes out wide, all accurate onto men running flatout. Playing with confidence.

Oh god is this what accidentally/inadverdently topping the group feels like for that *OTHER TEAM*

I hate it. I do not want it.

I thought the quote about Japan kicking a lot more was quite telling of the conditions too. 16:45 kick off next week so proof will be in the grease proof pudding.

Yeah...

Farrell starting 10 for Chile and the usual the march on from there. But I'm not sure it matters when the team as a whole looks so dire until the 75th minute
I wouldn't be surprised to see Farrell at 10 and Smith at 15.

I'd be quite happy for Farrell to stay on the sidelines, but unfortunately, that ain't happening.

If they have to play together, Smith at 15 is marginally more palatable than Farrell at 12 IMO.

Last edited:
Yup. Perhaps SB can see the limitations in this side and has stuck with this gameplan as they're not capable of playing a more expansive game? The few times they passed the ball outside the 12 channel (v Argentina) they looked lost, not doing the very basics, not drawing and passing, drifting onto their outside man, slow passes etc Compare that to Fiji, 2 mins to go and they throw hard, fast passes out wide, all accurate onto men running flatout. Playing with confidence.
i think when he took over he made the decision to rip the tactics apart and go back to basics...much like he did at the Tigers. Its coming but its slow progress...and the players are following the instructions too much at the moment..ie there was WAY too much kicking last night...even SB said they need to learn to adapt...Daly kicking when wide open is not like him...hes a talented player.

Clearly the attack is there....they are are just focusing on building pressure etc and wearing teams down first.

I have faith it will come...but it wont be for this world cup...its a rebuilding job and we need some new personnel which i think SB knows...but the new players arent quite ready yet.

i actually think team selection for the Chile game might be the most interesting of all....

He and we all know the team needs to continue to build familiarization, so does he go with a similar full strength side to do that...or does he give some seniors a rest.

He MUST give Jamie George a rest. The other two hookers MUST have gametime.
Farrell probably back at 10.
What will he do with Smith

Aside from that it will be interesting.

View attachment 17773
Aaand I'm done.

An element of "Only smart people can understand what they're doing"

Basically any semi prominent rugby poster comes up on my "for you" feed so I'm exposed to some mad opinions and Squidge hasn't actually been that bad recently. Turns out he was saving the hot takes and mental ************ to take to the next level during the world cup. He also used "I'm just a purist" to explain why yesterday was a good game. It's likely that the Venn diagram of why him and I enjoy rugby are two isolated circles but I still can't believe that to be anything other than a bare faced lie!

The whole England being contenders thing is just pandering to his biggest audience, it has plausible deniability of "well, it was never really realistic" and if they reach a semi / final he can claim he was right.

I think England have set their stall early with regards to their approach and for a team in their position I think it's a good one. They're not going to try to innovate or attack with ambition, they'll set a strong defence, apply scoreboard pressure where they can and set a mark to beat, nothing more. I think it works more than 50% of the time against 13 teams in the comp, about 50% of the time v Fiji, it could catch any of NZ, France or Scotland cold but then you get closer to the 1 out of 10 region v SA and Ireland due to them being able to score going through the phases and generally keeping teams to less than 15-20 points. I think Borthwick knows he's long odds and coupled with the knowledge that 3 of his 5 biggest threats will be knocked out by each other he is just trying to eek out some positive EV.

The bad news for fans is that I think Farrell comes back in because of this. Outside of Ford you've weak tactical kicking options, yesterday is the only example you need, and it's the most vital part of the strategy. You need a second viable option here and it's Junior.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Farrell at 10 and Smith at 15.

I'd be quite happy for Farrell to stay on the sidelines, but unfortunately, that ain't happening.

If they have to play together, Smith at 15 is marginally more palatable than Farrell at 12 IMO.
Youngs Ford Malins Faz Manu Steward Smith

Thats what im expecting as many playmakers as possible with no-one to play.

Latest posts