• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Ireland vs Tonga (16/09/2023)

Also, my not so hot take, is that Furlong is the most important player in the Ireland side - even more so than Sexton
The drop off behind is too significant considering the sides Ireland will have to beat
Sexton obviously massively important but think the other 14 can manage with Byrne at 10, whereas without Furlong the scrum is a mess, and that's where South Africa make their hay
Played 80 today right? When you take the extra minutes at the end of each half into account.

Loving how they work Mack Hansen into the backline, almost acting like a 10 at times (his old position).

I have a suspicion that Ireland are going to change things up for the Boks. Not drastically so but the lads who haven't seen game time, or have seen very little, might feature from the start. Big Stu, Henshaw, JOB, Beirne, Sheehan and Conan (if he's ready) all to start.

I think. Counted 17 players in that game had played for a nation they weren't born in, whether in their current team or a former team. This is presuming the only ones in the Ireland team that fit that category are lowe, aki, and Hansen.

And 13 born in NZ.

Will be interesting to do this count in the samoa Japan match

I think. Counted 17 players in that game had played for a nation they weren't born in, whether in their current team or a former team. This is presuming the only ones in the Ireland team that fit that category are lowe, aki, and Hansen.

And 13 born in NZ.

I guess cos of the new rules? If it means the tier 2 nations perform better, then it's probably a good thing. Not sure how many non Portuguese in their side, but a 28-8 result is a lot better for rugby than the 100 points they leaked last time they played.

And 13 born in NZ.

Rob Herring and Finlay Bealham.

I was quite surprised when I looked up van der Flier and found out he wasn't South African. Same with Jack Corstiaan van Poortvliet. Jack van Poortvliet is from the same county as me.

So excited for next week, we're humming very nicely. I'd say a few of the Leinster guys, Lowe, Keenan, Ringrose and VdF, as well as POM, can take it to the next level again and everyone else look like they're at the top of their game. Bundee looks fitter than he's ever been, big difference to last RWC where he rocked up as heavy as he ever played. Hansen, Beirne, Porter, Furlong and Sexstallion all look like they're right where they want to be.

I can't think of us pulling out a new move since the Keenan try v France, just varying current moves very very well so I'm hoping for one or two new plays to be pulled out of the bag. Show up and we can win this game but it's the most 50/50 game of the pools I reckon.

It'll be the second 1 v 2 in the world game I attend this year which is wild.

One injury out of these two games is a great result if we're being honest about it, and we will get Bealham back. Fairly goosed if Furlong pulls up next week though. Not sure how we manage that. Think Ryan is probably our best option.

I honestly didn't appreciate how good we were yesterday watching it live and only realised we played some very nice stuff watching highlights this morning. I stand by Aki needing to start he's in the form of his life, he's yoked and seems to have added pace from somewhere.

Tonga, despite apparently targeting this game and having "a plan for Ireland" played straight into our hands, booting the ball at us and just shoveling the ball out wide, which we will defend all day.

One injury out of these two games is a great result if we're being honest about it, and we will get Bealham back. Fairly goosed if Furlong pulls up next week though. Not sure how we manage that. Think Ryan is probably our best option.

I honestly didn't appreciate how good we were yesterday watching it live and only realised we played some very nice stuff watching highlights this morning. I stand by Aki needing to start he's in the form of his life, he's yoked and seems to have added pace from somewhere.

Tonga, despite apparently targeting this game and having "a plan for Ireland" played straight into our hands, booting the ball at us and just shoveling the ball out wide, which we will defend all day.
Ah mate the beers will do that to you :D

I guess cos of the new rules? If it means the tier 2 nations perform better, then it's probably a good thing. Not sure how many non Portuguese in their side, but a 28-8 result is a lot better for rugby than the 100 points they leaked last time they played.
It's not really to do with the new rules, only three players were playing this game due to the new rules, and two of those were Tongan born anyway. Samoa and Tonga always have New Zealand born players, and to a lesser extent Australian born, because the population of Samoans and Tongans in New Zealand and Australia (combined) is greater than that in samoa and Tonga.

It's not a new thing either. Over half of the 2003 samoan squad were born in New Zealand.

But the moana pacifika super rugby team helps. Because the New Zealand super rugby teams have a quota for players not eligible for the all blacks, it means players in those teams don't want to play for samoa or Tonga as then they can only continue to play in super rugby if they are one of the few chosen to meet the quota. But now players living in New Zealand (, which actually is much more than just those born in New Zealand, many of whom went to school in New Zealand but were born in the islands), can continue to live in New Zealand, play for an island nation and play for moana pacifika.

I have no issue with players playing for more than one nation. For New Zealand born Samoans and Tongans they are often genuinely both New Zealanders and Samoans or Tongans.

Last edited:

Latest posts