• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Wales vs Portugal (16/09/2023)

I am talking about the long-term. Of course, the start of a World Cup is no time to make big changes. (Similarly, look at how England kept Borthwick even after the home loss to Fiji).
There was zero chance of borthwick losing his job even after Fiji.

Watch Shawn Michaels land the sweet chin music and compare but include the studs 😂
Surely comparing wrestling to someone who you're saying ISN'T acting isn't the way to go?

I'm assuming that guy is a wrestler, I've never actually watched it.

Can't believe we missed those 3 kicks. Specially the 1st 2 kicks he usually berries them for fun I guess that's been the occasion must be nerves kicking in

Always thought that would be the way to go rather than change the 6n but.... LIONS LIONS LIONS

Would see the back of the Lions in a heartbeat.
Agreed, I think the professional era has started to devalue the Lions which is a real shame. Would love to see an 8 team European championship to begin with, 2 groups of 4 (six nations plus top 2 in the rugby europe championship), then expand gradually to 10, then even 12 teams. This is why (IMO) the Churchill Cup was a waste of time, Georgia could be an even better team, even if half of that time was given to their development.

Interestingly, Rugby Vision actually predicted quite well the scores for both this match and NZ-Namibia, but got France-Uruguay wildly wrong:
F55EC6HbgAAU-NL?format=png&name=medium.png

Whoever it was that got the boot in or near the face, if you're going to go down, don't have a good think about it first because it makes you look like you're trying to get someone sent off.
A la sexton

sexton-flipped-acting-gif.gif

Americans, surprised they didn't call it a touchdown
Can't even explain it with that - TNT is just BT Sport rebranded,
Maybe they've not brought the rugby social media team back from summer holiday yet so are using the football ones

Agreed, I think the professional era has started to devalue the Lions which is a real shame. Would love to see an 8 team European championship to begin with, 2 groups of 4 (six nations plus top 2 in the rugby europe championship), then expand gradually to 10, then even 12 teams. This is why (IMO) the Churchill Cup was a waste of time, Georgia could be an even better team, even if half of that time was given to their development.
There are loads of teams in Europe playing rugby. I would love to see a European rugby championship held every 4 years with a 4 groups of 4 to give these tiered 2 teams playing experience against the big boys

There are loads of teams in Europe playing rugby. I would love to see a European rugby championship held every 4 years with a 4 groups of 4 to give these tiered 2 teams playing experience against the big boys
There's a massive elephant in the room there though - it is called Italy. They don't want to risk their place at the top of European rugby, nor risk frequently embarrassing themselves by losing to the Tier Two teams. (For that matter, I think some of the other European teams might at least frighten Scotland and Wales too).

There's a massive elephant in the room there though - it is called Italy. They don't want to risk their place at the top of European rugby, nor risk frequently embarrassing themselves by losing to the Tier Two teams. (For that matter, I think some of the other European teams might at least frighten Scotland and Wales too).
Would not affect their 6 nations as this euro would be held every 4 years and they would be in automatically and that would leave 10 places left for the tier 2 nations a chance to play and build experience against the big boys
Georgia Romania Spain Portugal Holland Germany Russia Belgium Poland etc

Oh boy still buzzing been waiting since 2007 for this day.
Big game! Great dedication and ability to put up a fight against one of the best teams in Europe! If we had the experience of playing at the highest level, our performance would be even better.
A team in substantial decline though, which at least used to have its cracks disguised by a decent first-string that could dominate the Six Nations and occasionally beat Australia and South Africa. (On the other hand, the Second Coming itself will happen before Wales beat NZ again).

I was impressed how Portugal hung in there in the second half, I really thought the benches would tell. Georgia and Fiji should be a little nervous on that showing. Job done for Wales, Gatland is the master of getting the bare minimum, ugly (like an inverse Scotland).

A word on the strips. No.

This match was a wonderful example of how and why, after Italy and Scotland, Wales in fact have the worst record among Tier One nations in terms of losses to Tier Two nations. The inglorious record is as follows (excluding uncapped matches):

Canada 1993, Fiji 2007 (World Cup), Georgia 2022, Japan 2013, Romania 1983/1988, Samoa 1991 (World Cup)/1994/1999 (World Cup)/2012

Well for my two penneth… that was a bit flat. For Wales. Portugal played really well. Wales, seemed too relaxed. Im hoping it's because they don't want to show their hand too early to Aus for the next game. Bare minimum, but maximum points. I dont know? Guessing. Its exactly the same in autumn intls… play too casual for the lesser teams?!

Anyway, nothing really to boast about that one! Looking forward to Aus v Fiji tomorrow

Faletau wound back the years tbf - he's looked old and slow recently but today was the pick of the backrowers, that's much needed going into the bigger games

Can't even explain it with that - TNT is just BT Sport rebranded,
Maybe they've not brought the rugby social media team back from summer holiday yet so are using the football ones
Well one of their sister channels is the cartoon network

Latest posts