• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Scotland vs Tonga (24/09/2023)

Wheres's brigantine? This seems up his alley.
If Scotland win Tonga, Romania and Ireland with BP then Scotland have 3x5 points = 15, 1 more than Ireland's 14

If they beat Ireland by more than 7 (with BP as above) then no BP for Ireland, Scotland go through

Couldn't be simpler

I cant really criticise Scotland for this game, theyve got the TBP, they have 38 points, the games been done for the last 20...

But it's been scrappy, error strewn and Scotland have never really controlled it.

C- job done, but needs to I.prove

I cant really criticise Scotland for this game, theyve got the TBP, they have 38 points, the games been done for the last 20...

But it's been scrappy, error strewn and Scotland have never really controlled it.

C-

Scotland are 109 points adrift in points scored difference

On the assumption Sco and Ire end up level in the table. Scotland will have to beat Ireland by 110 - (points difference Sco Vs Rou)

Scotland are 109 points adrift in points scored difference

On the assumption Sco and Ire end up level in the table. Scotland will have to beat Ireland by 110 - (points difference Sco Vs Rou)
I think it's decided by head to head in case of a draw

If 3 teams end up level, the one with the best points difference progresses (hopefully SA) and then the team who one the head-to-head between the two (Scotland)

If Scotland win Tonga, Romania and Ireland with BP then Scotland have 3x5 points = 15, 1 more than Ireland's 14

If they beat Ireland by more than 7 (with BP as above) then no BP for Ireland, Scotland go through

Couldn't be simpler
even without a BP win against Ireland if Ireland doesn't get a bonus point and they are tied on 14 Scotland would go through.

I think it's decided by head to head in case of a draw
You are correct, here are the rules for 2019 which I assumed haven't changed

In that case Scotland (assuming BP win from Romania) will only need to beat Ireland by +7

What confused my little brain was after last night I assumed SA were more vulnerable to elimination than Ireland, so I was working off that assumption. However, it is almost unthinkable SA go home if they get the BP win over Tonga whereas Ireland still have a decent bit of work to do. Their win over SA really only means instead of needing any soŕt of win vs Scotland they can now lose by 7 points or less. Its effectively changed very little for Ireland and despite typing all that out, it hurts my head and feels wrong.

Thankfully, there doesn't appear to be any feasible way for Ireland or SA to play around with their final result in order to eliminate their main rival. Something that would be a concern given their last pool games are played at different times.

According to the match stats the second bunker review was upgraded to a red card.

Some concerns I've had with this bunker system

I agree generally.

I always said we would never get the justifications for or against a red since the decision would be made remotely.

It's noticeable not one referee has had the balls to call a red card on the pitch. Every time they have send straight to the bunker.

Shoddy referring in this game I felt. Absolutely no try to the Scottish fullback, he was tackled, his knee was on the ground, he did not release the ball, but just got up and ran again. Absolute sitter of a call and the ref either cheated or was incompetent.

Scotland weren't all that great, but they got the job done. Tonga were poor. It's questionable wether they should be at the World Cup. Just nowhere near good enough.

Shoddy referring in this game I felt. Absolutely no try to the Scottish fullback, he was tackled, his knee was on the ground, he did not release the ball, but just got up and ran again. Absolute sitter of a call and the ref either cheated or was incompetent.
If I am thinking of the right one, he wasn't held?

Half limped our way through there I would say, bit laboured at times but it's kind of expected after hardly seeing an attacking ball vs the Boks then a 2 week lay up. Could have been an easy game to overthink and implode on for Scotland's of past so happy enough with the result.

Same again vs Romania, Horne and Healy should be getting a run at that game, I wouldn't go too off script in the forwards however.

In a strange way the scheduling is maybe being as kind to us as is possible, its a mountain to scale in the last game but mentally you could almost reset after the Boks game and try and build up some momentum ahead of Ireland who conversley have to sit for 2 weeks and watch.

Ive just seen the Tongan winger's tackle on Jamie Ritchie. Its an interesting one because the tackler does bend at the knees which probably goes in the tackler's favour under the stupid criteria. However, the tackler was clearly intending to make contact with Ritchie high up: it was reckless if not serious foul play. Therefore should have been a red card if there was any consistency/justice.