• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Scotland vs Tonga (24/09/2023)

I was under the impression it comes down to head to head? Which is good for Scotland as they would need to beat Ireland anyway. And get 4 points more than Ireland from the game
So if all three are on 15 points then there cannot be head to head, right?

But if Scotland beat Ireland and nobody gets BPs in that match, then they are both on 14 points and Ireland are eliminated on head to head vs Scotland. Thats my take.

I think Scotland are finding Tonga have a bit too much abillity and heart to go running the score up on them. Ireland looked great against Tonga and 'only'won by 35 or so.

If Scotland gets BP wins for the rest of their games and beat Ireland by more than 7 then Ireland are out and Scotland is through

So if all three are on 15 points then there cannot be head to head, right?

But if Scotland beat Ireland and nobody gets BPs in that match, then they are both on 14 points and Ireland are eliminated on head to head vs Scotland. Thats my take.

I think Scotland are finding Tonga have a bit too much abillity and heart to go running the score up on them. Ireland looked great against Tonga and 'only'won by 35 or so.

Oh I see what you mean. Yeah not sure what happens if they all get 15, which id just seen as v unlikely

Well if it did go to points difference those two botched efforts by Scotland could be the difference. Academic really as there must be no way Scotland get 4 tries against Ireland in a neutral venue. Whereas winning by 8 points isn't a complete fantasy, just extremely unlikely.

Well if it did go to points difference those two botched efforts by Scotland could be the difference. Academic really as there must be no way Scotland get 4 tries against Ireland in a neutral venue. Whereas winning by 8 points isn't a complete fantasy, just extremely unlikely.
If it's anything like last night then "neutral" will be a bit of a stretch

That try probably just about keeps Scotland's wildly hypothetical points difference chances alive.

I cant really criticise Scotland for this game, theyve got the TBP, they have 38 points, the games been done for the last 20...

But it's been scrappy, error strewn and Scotland have never really controlled it.

C- job done, but needs to I.prove

Probably not popular here but many reds are deserved and down to the defensive player, in this instance it does seem like the attacker has to shoulder some share of responsibility he actively dropped his head height and charged into that.
That's what I thought. But it's close.

2nd one was a red 100% though.