• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] South Africa vs Scotland (10/09/2023)

Confirmed Horne concussion

Have the AB's ever really cared that much about possession? They're more interested in getting the ball, scoring a try, and handing possession back again IMO.
Plenty of AB matches have seen them win on 35%ish possession.
Thats why i said "to a lesser extent". Let us see their possession stats with Schmidt and Foster. If it is 35% tonight against France I will be extremely surprised.

Confirmed Horne concussion
Such a shame for Scotland. I think they had about a 20-30% chance of winning this match with Horne. I put that down at 10-15% with Ben White if there is a tactic if using the box kick a lot.

EDIT: Boks 28 - 16 Scotland

Springboks:

15 Damian Willemse, 14 Kurt-Lee Arendse, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Cheslin Kolbe, 10 Manie Libbok, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Jasper Wiese, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (c), 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Steven Kitshoff

Substitutes: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Ox Nche. 18 Trevor Nyakane, 19 RG Snyman, 20 Marco van Staden, 21 Duane Vermeulen, 22 Grant Williams, 23 Willie le Roux

Glad to see Marx retained as starter.
Good to see 6-2. I was hoping to see a return too 5-3 but with 7-1 seemingly not beyond us I'll take the 6-2 split! Wouldn't put it past Rassie to go 7-1 or even a full 8 just to troll.
Happy to see Arendse in there but was hoping to see Moodie make it as well. Between those two and Kolbe passes cannot be forced. Not that Kriel has been poor mind you, I just thought that for this fixture in particular Moodies strengths would've shone.
Over the moon to see Williams on the bench. Would've preferred Smith ahead of MVS but can see the rationale if you consider Smith as an 8 (which I don't necessarily).
Overall happy enough.

I think we will see guys like Moodie and Esterhuizen against the (with all due respect) weaker teams, and then changes being made for the quarters.

After watching France-New Zealand tonight, I don't think either South Africa or Ireland are worried about their odds in the QF regardless of who they play. They're not easy match-ups at all, but I think it's a lot more open than initially thought.

I think we will see guys like Moodie and Esterhuizen against the (with all due respect) weaker teams, and then changes being made for the quarters.

After watching France-New Zealand tonight, I don't think either South Africa or Ireland are worried about their odds in the QF regardless of who they play. They're not easy match-ups at all, but I think it's a lot more open than initially thought.
Out of nowhere, the world cup brings back a TRF GOAT.

Really sad to see injuries in training having impacts for both Scotland and New Zealand… but there is a part of me that I'm happy this has not happened to a South African player first to prove out that injuries do indeed happen in training. Although if we do get one, I'm sure that there will be someone who will make a comment about it and how they're faking it despite it being every player's biggest dream to be there and play there in the World Cup.

Also, I will be quoting this post in reply when that post comes.

Big game. Not the end of the world for either team if they lose though.

Eh, what??

South Africa lose and it puts massive pressure on them for the Ireland game.

Scotland I expect to talk the talk right up till kick-off then go fairly silent as reality kicks in.

Hey, Zeq! Yeah, our 2nd choices are on par with 1st across the board. Even better in places depending on who you are asking. And the guys rotating should be inflating scores against Romania and Tonga hopefully. I think we can trust them to pick up and kick on.

I'd sleep better if we could get past Scotland. We certainly are the favored side but it is a possible banana skin though Scotland is not what I call a bogey side for us from a traditional pov.

After France v NZ I am slowly but surely changing my opinion that you don't care about what the QF looks like. I was thinking both will be a big ask but very much there for a W. I'm starting to wonder if topping the pool isn't the best result because it looks like NZ really are in a bit of a downturn if you take away the first blitz in our first game against them.

Hey, Zeq! Yeah, our 2nd choices are on par with 1st across the board. Even better in places depending on who you are asking. And the guys rotating should be inflating scores against Romania and Tonga hopefully. I think we can trust them to pick up and kick on.

I'd sleep better if we could get past Scotland. We certainly are the favored side but it is a possible banana skin though Scotland is not what I call a bogey side for us from a traditional pov.

After France v NZ I am slowly but surely changing my opinion that you don't care about what the QF looks like. I was thinking both will be a big ask but very much there for a W. I'm starting to wonder if topping the pool isn't the best result because it looks like NZ really are in a bit of a downturn if you take away the first blitz in our first game against them.

Glad to be back. Aside from a few messages back in 2021, this is my first time posting again since 2016. Man, so much changed. I moved countries twice. Got married. And now live in a rugby-centric country for the first time since 2010.

Zander Fagerson is right there and he's saying that. Wild.
Never mind that, Ritchie is downwind from Nel and Schoeman most scrums so gets that heady Springbok aroma regardless of who they are playing. I hope they both make an unexpected detour to the post game showers and towel snap Ritchie's soft, pristine white skin until he yells out for a referee to blow for an infringement.

Scotland camp falling to pieces. :p

I've been a bit out of the loop lately. Can anyone explain the whole Springbok jersey colourblind controversy thing to me?

Are they not using the green jersey at all? Or us it just for the Scotland game?

I've been a bit out of the loop lately. Can anyone explain the whole Springbok jersey colourblind controversy thing to me?

Are they not using the green jersey at all? Or us it just for the Scotland game?
green and red is a no go. I don't know about green and blue. If it's a clash there is a coin flip to see who has to change.

green and red is a no go. I don't know about green and blue. If it's a clash there is a coin flip to see who has to change.

OK. So it's not decided yet who wears what jersey when etc? When is this coin flip?

Just trying to figure out what's going on because I heard people complain but can't find anything definitive online.

OK. So it's not decided yet who wears what jersey when etc? When is this coin flip?

Just trying to figure out what's going on because I heard people complain but can't find anything definitive online.
no idea. For France and Scotland we only found out when they came out. Still don't know who is changing for England vs Argentina. Apparently Romania changed today so Green vs Yellow is also a no go?

Apparently both sides camnot play in "dark colours". Doesn't help explain Romanian yellow versus Irish light green is a clash.

Amazing to read 1 in 12 males are colour blind but only 1 in 200 females are.

I think it's not just colour blind, but also the visually impaired, so colour saturation counts - hence yellow-light green clash.
Essentially - show it in gresyscale (black and white TV) would you be able to tell the difference?

I think..

Latest posts