• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Wales vs Georgia (07/10/2023)

Not the only score this world cup that flattered Wales!!
Really?

They took Fiji to peices before Fiji scored twice late on to lose by 6.

Wales A team comfortably dispatched of Portugal, if the last 2nd try probably got them an undeserved TBP.

Murdered Australia and should have scored more tries.

You were saying?!

Really?

They took Fiji to peices before Fiji scored twice late on to lose by 6.

Wales A team comfortably dispatched of Portugal, if the last 2nd try probably got them an undeserved TBP.

Murdered Australia and should have scored more tries.

You were saying?!
Oh come on the refereeing was comical in Wales favour, a proper ret would have seen Fiji win that

Oh come on the refereeing was comical in Wales favour, a proper ret would have seen Fiji win that
You didnt watch it properly, its wasnt a good refereeing performance but it was poor for both teams.

Fiji were given carte blanche ball in hand at the ruck, off their feet from all sorts of angles

Your letting poor memory and an emotive response late on dictate your opinion

Faletau out with a broken arm. Wishing him a speedy recovery. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67040245
That's a massive loss to our chances going forwards imo. He was back approaching his best after an injury ravaged few years. It's componded by the lack of genuine alternatives as well. Wainwright will play 8, and he's shown lots of promise in that position, but he's far from a proven international there.

Also, who plays at 6 with Aaron switching positions? Dual opensides with Morgan and Reffell could work as Morgan is an abraisive, hard working player, but it hasn't always worked in the past. Maybe Basham, but I think he'll remain on the bench to cover all 3 backrow positions. I just hope Gats doesn't turn to Lyds who doesn't cut it anymore.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Botham and Morris should have been in the extended squad and given a chance during the warm-ups. Botham would be a great option at 6, whilst Morris is the only other genuine 8 available.

That's a massive loss to our chances going forwards imo. He was back approaching his best after an injury ravaged few years. It's componded by the lack of genuine alternatives as well. Wainwright will play 8, and he's shown lots of promise in that position, but he's far from a proven international there.

Also, who plays at 6 with Aaron switching positions? Dual opensides with Morgan and Reffell could work as Morgan is an abraisive, hard working player, but it hasn't always worked in the past. Maybe Basham, but I think he'll remain on the bench to cover all 3 backrow positions. I just hope Gats doesn't turn to Lyds who doesn't cut it anymore.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Botham and Morris should have been in the extended squad and given a chance during the warm-ups. Botham would be a great option at 6, whilst Morris is the only other genuine 8 available.
Yeah it's the kybosch on any (minuscule) chances we had this RWC tbh… gutted! I'd probably go 6. Lydiate, 7. Morgan 8. Wainwright. Think they might pull Plumtree back into the squad, if they don't scratch about for a 10 that is.

edit. Having said that, 6.Morgan, 7. Reffell, 8. Wainwright could be the way to go… a bit light-weight though I reckon.

I'd prefer anyone over Lydiate who's shown nothing when he's played. Morgan, Basham or Tshiunza.

Not convinced with Plumtree either. Had a good cameo off the bench for his first cap, but was shockingly bad on his second cap!

I'd prefer anyone over Lydiate who's shown nothing when he's played. Morgan, Basham or Tshiunza.

Not convinced with Plumtree either. Had a good cameo off the bench for his first cap, but was shockingly bad on his second cap!
Tshiunza has all the physical tools… but just hasn't impressed me whenever I've seen him. The only reason I'd probably go with Lydiate is for overall back row balance rather than his individual performances. As much as I like Basham, I see him more of an impact player in the last 20 when things have opened up. For all the energy and exuberance he undoubtedly shows… he's just a little light and can go missing when things are tight at test level.

The only reason I say that they (the coaching set up) might go with Plumtree is due to his having been with the squad at the various camps and the amount of positions he can (apparently) cover… including at eight.

im with you on your original post though… big fan of Morris and wouldve liked him to be in with a shout, can't see it though unfortunately.

I'd put Reffell in there. I've always seen him as a 6 anyway. I know everyone wants a 6,4 18 stone lump at 6 but Reffell is a top player. Would rather him than Lydiate.

I'd put Reffell in there. I've always seen him as a 6 anyway. I know everyone wants a 6,4 18 stone lump at 6 but Reffell is a top player. Would rather him than Lydiate.
I see Reffell more as an out and out 7 myself… and think Morgan could do a job at 6 but it's not ideal either way sadly. our back row which has been class this World Cup will become pretty average without Faletau, regardless of who we play and where.

I see Reffell more as an out and out 7 myself… and think Morgan could do a job at 6 but it's not ideal either way sadly. our back row which has been class this World Cup will become pretty average without Faletau, regardless of who we play and where.
I know I'm in the minority as everyone sees him as an out and out 7 but for me Morgan is an out and out 7 as his game is more rounded. Reffel tackles hard as is great over the ball. Sure, you want your 6 to be a lineout option which Reffel isn't but for me, meh.

I'm a Basham fan boy anyway.

I know I'm in the minority as everyone sees him as an out and out 7 but for me Morgan is an out and out 7 as his game is more rounded. Reffel tackles hard as is great over the ball. Sure, you want your 6 to be a lineout option which Reffel isn't but for me, meh.

I'm a Basham fan boy anyway.
Furry muff… it's just one of those problems for which there is no right answer… apart from cryogenic-stem-cell treatment and maybe a time machine to get Toby back and fit from a few months from now.

I really enjoy watching Georgia. Pity they did not get more from this game. Wales played well against a valiant Georgian team.

Ref fell looks like the real option, Gatland would prefer a larger ball carrying/ lineout option, but it is what it is.

I think this opens the door for Tziunsa on the bench, wanting a big physical option late on.

I think we could see Reffell at 7 and Morgan at 8? I know Wainright has been preferred there previously, but Captain Morgan has showed he could play 15 if you asked him too lol

Yeah can't call it myself who goes where. All about balance and it hasn't quite been there before with Reffel and Morgan on the field together. Though let's see. I think Basham should probably come in, has he played 8 much? Or would it be Wainwright there?

Don't want lydiate that's for sure. And Tshiunza either has done f all to deserve it. Still way too young

Yeah can't call it myself who goes where. All about balance and it hasn't quite been there before with Reffel and Morgan on the field together. Though let's see. I think Basham should probably come in, has he played 8 much? Or would it be Wainwright there?

Don't want lydiate that's for sure. And Tshiunza either has done f all to deserve it. Still way too young
Basham has played some 8 but he just hasn't got the size and power ratio needed at this level really… would love for him to prove me wrong though. I think it's nailed on we'll get Wainwright at 8 but then how the two flanks fall into place is anyones guess. Obviously Morgan has to play and while he prefers to play open side, the versatility of his skill-set could mean he may have to play on the blind.

Also, don't know if it's been mentioned previously… but I did like seeing LRZ at 15 for a spell yesterday. Obvs Sanjay is integral at 15… and I'd still pick Halfpence at 15 over LRZ at this point in his career if Williams is crocked but it does have a nice look to it.

Last edited:
Also, don't know if it's been mentioned previously… but I did like seeing LRZ at 15 for a spell yesterday. Obvs Sanjay is integral at 15… and I'd still pick Halfpence at 15 over LRZ at this point in his career if Williams is crocked but it does have a nice look to it.
Me too. Next year when Williams is in Japan and Halfpenny likely retired I'd like to see more of LRZ at fullback where he gets more time on the ball.

Latest posts