• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 QF2] Ireland vs New Zealand (14/10/2023)

3. Ireland exiting at the QF

To think Irish fans thought they were actually going to win. It's at the point where it would be an upset if Ireland ever progressed

To think an Australian has the gall to disparage teams that actually managed to get to the QFs

Error, you went straight down the what-if route with your statement that the ABs would have scored "1 or 3" tries had Ireland scored. Make your mind up. :rolleyes:
You surely missed irony classes because my statement was deliberately provocative against the claim that IF Sexton had made the penalty shot, Ireland would not have needed a try at the death to win - the presumption being that the All Blacks's score remained static while Ireland were allowed to score points
Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
let's say the best two teams played a test series. Then I think they'd have a better chance to settle their nerves. And the sample size would be greater

To me the World Cup is just a spectacle event. it's fun but It doesn't imply who is best. Every test matters to me. And test series are the pinnacle.

Disagree to a point; WCs are more than just a spectacle. Agree it takes a different mentality to prevail, but that doesn't make it any less difficult and therefore rendering doing so to spectacle status.

IMO it's tougher because, as you note, there's less chance to settle nerves.

Disagree to a point; WCs are more than just a spectacle. Agree it takes a different mentality to prevail, but that doesn't make it any less difficult and therefore rendering doing so to spectacle status.

IMO it's tougher because, as you note, there's less chance to settle nerves.
I Agree it's tougher. It's really the small sample size of games that means I don't value it much as a demonstration of who is best. Plus as an all blacks fan we have traditionally had the mentality that every test matters. I feel that the world cup is given too much importance internationally and that takes away from the value of tests. Test series are the pinnacle for me. Beating South Africa in a series in South Africa in 1996 ranks for me as the greatest all blacks achievement since I've been watching the game, second is the lions series in 2005.

Another NZ SA final. Worthy sides but Damm it might have been nice to have a change
It's a worthy final with both teams on 3 RWCs each, with the winner taking bragging rights as the first to get to 4.

With the hosts out, the All Blacks will get a lot of local support from the French crowd as the ABs have always had strong support in France behind their own team.

You surely missed irony classes because my statement was deliberately provocative against the claim that IF Sexton had made the penalty shot, Ireland would not have needed a try at the death to win - the presumption being that the All Blacks's score remained static while Ireland were allowed to score points
View attachment 18165
you need to chill dude, why do you care if other people want to have a bit of a vent and speculate....95% of a forum is speculating in some form, the real beauty...you dont have to participate if its not your jam. We won, let people do what they need to

I Agree it's tougher. It's really the small sample size of games that means I don't value it much as a demonstration of who is best. Plus as an all blacks fan we have traditionally had the mentality that every test matters. I feel that the world cup is given too much importance internationally and that takes away from the value of tests. Test series are the pinnacle for me. Beating South Africa in a series in South Africa in 1996 ranks for me as the greatest all blacks achievement since I've been watching the game, second is the lions series in 2005.
Test Series are only enjoyable for me because I get to watch 2 or 3 tests between the ABs and whichever team happens to be touring or whichever country we're touring. Drawn 2-test series don't prove one team better than the other.

World Cups are the ultimate determiner of which team is top in the world in every sports code. Soccer, Cricket, league all have their tours in the intermediary years but their top decider is a World Cup knock-out tournament every few years to crown a Champion - just like rugby.

Barnes' decision on Aki's accidental head-knock was the best example of why he's the best. The TMO was trying his best but Barnes effectively over-ruled him.
I thought Aki's theatrical reaction to the tackle was the one blight on a great game of rugby. The guys a Kiwi and as such, he knows full well you just don't do that sort of carry on. Win a game fair and square, not by trying to buy Red Cards.

you need to chill dude, why do you care if other people want to have a bit of a vent and speculate....95% of a forum is speculating in some form, the real beauty...you dont have to participate if its not your jam. We won, let people do what they need to
I don't need an apologist to tell me to chill. I found it pathetic that anyone would suggest that the match score or even the match result might have been different had certain events happened for one team while the other was twiddling their thumbs. But do carry on with your pretend "results".
I suppose the French might not have lost had their FB not kicked the ball backwards from the 22 restart:p:D

I thought Aki's theatrical reaction to the tackle was the one blight on a great game of rugby. The guys a Kiwi and as such, he knows full well you just don't do that sort of carry on. Win a game fair and square, not by trying to buy Red Cards.
Haha, it's professional sport so it's up to the officials to sort out legitimate gamesmanship to get an edge from legitimate dangerous play.

To be honest, I thought teams like Uruguay, Namibia, Portugal etc played with more passion than Ireland did. After hearing from media pundits and journos over the last 6 weeks about how Ireland were going to annihilate all, their "powerful" forwards weren't seen much. At the end, they were an exhausted team going through the motions without any punch left in the 37 phases, with the exception of the late subbie who made one strong run but had no support.

Yep agree its a shame that WCs have taken on so much prestige as to devalue achievements in between. The 96 and 05 series wins you mention are my non-WC pinnacles as well. Three test wins on the trot in SA, and a Lions win followed by a Grand Slam which featured two completely different starting XVs being rolled out in consecutive weekends.... to think that display of depth has been reduced to just a footnote because the team shat the bed two years later is a real shame.

That said, knockout pressure and the fact unlike a regular season, both hemispheres align their seasons to the event, allowing all teams to aim to peak at the event, make WCs what they are.

They certainly require a different mindset though and I think that's something Ireland perhaps hasn't yet grasped. There's lots to to analyse about how each team played, but for me, a key one was Sexton turning down kickable penalties. I get they backed themselves to convert the field position into tries, and that belief was entirely justified based on how they've converted those opportunities in the last couple seasons.

But 07 in particular taught the ABs a very painful lesson - pride cometh before the fall, never turn down points. Jordie taking a nudge from 50 out showed how well that lesson has been learnt.

World cup given too much importance...

:rolleyes:

Since the South African teams decided to abandon super rugby, we can feel a weakening in the level of rugby in the southern hemisphere, on the other hand Argentina following its participations with the Jaguars have learned a lot in super rugby during the seasons (2016 to 2019) to improve their game.
They are better structured and more disciplined. I think the defeat against England was an accident.
I really don't see the All Black outclassing them, I sense a surprise for the Argentina - NZ semi-final.

Poster implying that Argentina will win.

But when New Zealand win he will come back and say the surprise was how many tries the All Blacks scored!

I don't need an apologist to tell me to chill. I found it pathetic that anyone would suggest that the match score or even the match result might have been different had certain events happened for one team while the other was twiddling their thumbs. But do carry on with your pretend "results".
I suppose the French might not have lost had their FB not kicked the ball backwards from the 22 restart:p:D
and others don't need to ranting at them like a prick...but they seem to be getting it anyway, you're becoming the definition of a poor winner

Latest posts