• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 QF2] Ireland vs New Zealand (14/10/2023)

Duty rumours on what was said coming out in the press... Ouch

Ioane said to Sexton something along the lines of: "Enjoy retirement and don't miss the flight home".

That set Sexton off who started shouting more explicit stuff back.

Brodie Retallick got one back on Irish back row Peter O'Mahony, allegedly telling him: "Oi Peter, four more years you ****wit".

Ioane said to Sexton something along the lines of: "Enjoy retirement and don't miss the flight home".

Brodie Retallick got one back on Irish back row Peter O'Mahony, allegedly telling him: "Oi Peter, four more years you ****wit".
You gotta be able to take it if you can dish it out.

I'm pretty sure someone said this as a joke on the rugby union subreddit and now everyone has run with it - they claimed Sam Cane said it in a whatsapp group message

There's an extended spidercam shot of it floating around on twitter and it just looks like Sexton was annoyed that Ioane was celebrating as they were walking towards each other - no refusal to shake hands or anything, like the press was saying

I'm pretty sure someone said this as a joke on the rugby union subreddit and now everyone has run with it - they claimed Sam Cane said it in a whatsapp group message

There's an extended spidercam shot of it floating around on twitter and it just looks like Sexton was annoyed that Ioane was celebrating as they were walking towards each other - no refusal to shake hands or anything, like the press was saying
You're probably right. Looks like The Rugby Pod and Rugby Onslaught have ran with it.

Why let the truth get in the way of a good rumour.

Haha I am an Ireland fan and love the sledging.

Ireland were better than the All Blacks 5 times in 118 years, suggesting Ireland need 23.6 years on average to evolve to beat them again - which implies a deliberate policy of selective breeding (perhaps with current All Blacks??) to produce 23-year-old Irish players to beat them in 2045
View attachment 18190

And we'll not bring up the subject of how many of their team are actually Irish and not Aussies, Kiwis, Brits, ok?

Gotta laugh at NZers acting like they haven't been stealing born and bred Celts like Christie for generations.
Christie moved to NZ when he was 7.

What age did Aki, Gibson-Park, Lowe, Boss move to Ireland? They were men, who had represented at a senior level. in total, youve had 17 Kiwis that have played for Ireland. Very few of those moved as kids - Carbury is the only one I can recall.

And how many 'born and bred Celts' have played for NZ? Two in my memory - Christie - who had never touched a rugby ball before moving to NZ, and John Gallagher who emigrated to NZ to be a copper and started playing for my local club, Oriental-Rongotai. He became a citizen before he became a pro player.

You're comparing them with guys who moved to play rugby. Who were never going to get in their national team. Who were attractive to Irish rugby because they had learned their craft in NZ and played a NZ style of ball.

Nobody is sending talent scouts to Scotland and Ireland and Wales to spot and recruit talent to NZ. But your teams are definitely doing that in NZ.

I'm not sure why you are claiming you 'gotta laugh' - your clubs seem to take it pretty fkn seriously to try and convince young Kiwi talent to move to Ireland. It's not just your national team, but there's a bunch of young kiwi rugby players in your provinces playing for your clubs. And you're paying them to do it.

Yea I saw that footage as well.

You can see Ioane holding his arm up looking at the crowd as they start to cross paths, they both shake hands fine at that point and start to move on, but then Reiko turns back around as if responding to something Sexton said. So doesn't look like Reiko's antics were directed at Johnny, but whatever they were obviously ****** Johnny off enough to prompt a reaction. Given Reiko's history, that's no surprise either...

That aside, that footage was otherwise really cool. Was especially good to see Jordie and Aaron Smith comforting a clearly devastated Bundee, and even saw some genuine commiserations between Colesy and O'Mahony.

I am sure most of you must have seen this by now, but I'll still post it

Sexton's tribute

truly a memorable player
As brilliant as Sexton's been for Ireland, I would not have started him v ABs. His age alone should have precluded his run-on selection - his static ball distribution all match made the ABs defensive formation a lot easier. I'd have brought him off the bench.

Latest posts