• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SA vs Wales (June 2022 series)

South Africa aligning themselves with Europe is looking better-and-better the longer time progresses.

What do the home nations get out of it?
  1. Exposure to our refereeing interpretations come Internationals
  2. NZ Clubs sides arent playing SA sides regularly which might damage their pathway to Internationals somewhat, reducing quality, this comes from only playing yourself and not growing. This helps NH sides with elusive wins over the All Blacks
  3. Influx on tv money, both Club level and International level.
  4. Large amounts of extra viewers, with added bonus of same time zones. This makes even your sponsors happy even if they think our viewers are of "less" value
  5. Regular competition against some of the best teams both club and international level.
  6. Large Saffa expat communities in Europe and England contribute to match-day economic value
  7. Again, the more the Saffa moves weaken the NZ and Aussie game, the better for the NH which has been dominated by them historically.
  8. Rugby excitement, a chance to play against teams you never played against, and to end the debate about which club teams are better.
  9. A shot at more realistic world cup chances due to a culmination of the above.

All of that sounds like wishful thinking with the exception of increased excitement which seems demonstrably false from the consistently negative fan reaction whenever SA joining the Six Nations gets floated

Just a bit **** that the Pro14 bending over the for the SARU has the knock on effect of disrupting the rest of European rugby at club and inevitably international level

1. Exposure to our refereeing interpretations come Internationals
  2. NZ Clubs sides arent playing SA sides regularly which might damage their pathway to Internationals somewhat, reducing quality, this comes from only playing yourself and not growing. This helps NH sides with elusive wins over the All Blacks
  3. Influx on tv money, both Club level and International level.
  4. Large amounts of extra viewers, with added bonus of same time zones. This makes even your sponsors happy even if they think our viewers are of "less" value
  5. Regular competition against some of the best teams both club and international level.
  6. Large Saffa expat communities in Europe and England contribute to match-day economic value
  7. Again, the more the Saffa moves weaken the NZ and Aussie game, the better for the NH which has been dominated by them historically.
  8. Rugby excitement, a chance to play against teams you never played against, and to end the debate about which club teams are better.
  9. A shot at more realistic world cup chances due to a culmination of the above.
Good list but the only one that truly matters is #3. What did you think CVC was going to do? Sit around and collect a yearly cheque from Six Nations broadcast rights? Heck no. They are going to get SA into the Six Nations, use that to terminate the existing media rights, negotiate a new deal with broadcasters, and cash out.

I don't want SA in the Six Nations. At all. It is one of the least appealing notions that has developed in recent years. I think the Bokke benefit far more from honing their steel against NZ and Aus. We have the Autumn fixtures and the URC for exposure to the NH. I respect the tradition of 6N but I just cannot get excited about it. Five or six matches in the grey, cold and drizzly, without the substantial theatre of a comp like the WC. Not the environment I want to see SA play in year in, year out. Far more amped for the RC.

Would like to see Japan a part of either 6N/RC though.

What do the home nations get out of it?
Weaker New Zealand and australia.
More tv revenue for domestic comps.
Front row seats to france and South Africa fighting over control of rugby Africa.
Airline miles.

I need to talk my wife into retiring in the Western Cape. Cape Town is gorgeous.

I need to talk my wife into retiring in the Western Cape. Cape Town is gorgeous.
Yeah western province is absolutely stunning. Cape Town is an amazing cosmopolitan city and the wine lands are something to enjoy.

This is the scrumhalf that dominated the u20s a couple years ago right? He's doing a decent job.

South Africa keeping it simple and just letting wales move backwards.

Latest posts