TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Game 1
Springbok team:
15 Damian Willemse, 14 Cheslin Kolbe, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Jasper Wiese, 7 Franco Mostert, 6 Siya Kolisi, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Ox Nche
Substitutes: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 Salmaan Moerat, 20 Elrigh Louw, 21 Kwagga Smith, 22 Herschel Jantjies, 23 Willie le Roux

Wales team:
TBA

Game 2
Springbok team:
15 Warrick Gelant, 14 Kurt-Lee Arendse, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Andre Esterhuizen, 11 Aphelele Fassi, 10 Handre Pollard (captain), 9 Jaden Hendrikse, 8 Evan Roos, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Marcell Coetzee, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Trevor Nyakane, 2 Joseph Dweba, 1 Thomas du Toit
Substitutes: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Ntuthuko Mchunu, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 Ruan Nortje, 20 Rynhardt Elstadt, 21 Deon Fourie, 22 Grant Williams, 23 Damian Willemse

Wales
Liam Williams; Louis Rees-Zammit, George North, Nick Tompkins, Alex Cuthbert; Dan Biggar, Kieran Hardy; Gareth Thomas, Ryan Elias, Dillon Lewis, Will Rowlands, Adam Beard, Dan Lydiate, Tommy Reffell, Taulupe Faletau.
Dewi Lake, Wyn Jones, Sam Wainwright, Alun Wyn Jones, Josh Navidi, Tomos Williams, Gareth Anscombe, Josh Adams.

Game 3
South Africa
15 Damian Willemse, 14 Cheslin Kolbe, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Jaden Hendrikse, 8 Jasper Wiese, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Trevor Nyakane

Substitutes: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 Franco Mostert, 20 Kwagga Smith, 21 Elrigh Louw, 22 Faf de Klerk, 23 Willie le Roux

I'll update the OP as line-ups become available and for tests 2 and 3 closer to the time. It seems this series is the least... anticipated so I thought it good to just run the one thread? We are all expecting very unsurprising line ups and dull(ish) matches though I suppose we'll see soon enough.

Last edited:

Bokke set to announce our line-up today, Wales expected Thursday only. With both Vermeulen and PSdT unavailable I am hoping for (assuming Kolisi and Wiese are givens):

6 Fourie (fairytale cap at 35 and an actual fetcher)
7 Kolisi (c) Kolisi can then play as an actual blindside which is what he is IMO
8 Wiese

20 Coetzee (utility)
21 Roos (to bring the boom during the last 30 minutes)

I'm going to be so happy when Fourie gets a cap. He was always a player I thought was incredibly unlucky between ~2010-2013 to not get some kinda cap as he was often one of our best runners of the ball and fetchers. Totally deserves this.

I'm expecting that it will be Elstadt and Kwagga (one starting and one on the bench) with Fourie on the bench (along with Kolisi and Wiese). I think first match will be that of tried and tested players still while other players get more familiar with our gameplan/approach and then a bit more of the fresh faces seeping through from the bench in test 2 and 3.

I'm not as optimistic as everyone else is. Wales has been a team we haven't smashed in a while and in fact the games have been consistently close. In fact before the World Cup we had a 4 game losing streak against them (although that was Gatland in the helm). It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I also don't want to get too carried away with how weak their URC teams were, because they also have a fair few strong players plying their trade in other markets. I still believe we should get the win, but I don't think its going to be the easy walkover that I'm seeing a lot of on twitter.

Recent history would suggest the games will be close but I honestly think we'll get pumped in at least one game. If we get our pants pulled down in the first test then we're screwed. If we can keep it tight in that first game then maybe we can nik one but I doubt it.

I'm going to be so happy when Fourie gets a cap. He was always a player I thought was incredibly unlucky between ~2010-2013 to not get some kinda cap as he was often one of our best runners of the ball and fetchers. Totally deserves this.

I'm expecting that it will be Elstadt and Kwagga (one starting and one on the bench) with Fourie on the bench (along with Kolisi and Wiese). I think first match will be that of tried and tested players still while other players get more familiar with our gameplan/approach and then a bit more of the fresh faces seeping through from the bench in test 2 and 3.

I'm not as optimistic as everyone else is. Wales has been a team we haven't smashed in a while and in fact the games have been consistently close. In fact before the World Cup we had a 4 game losing streak against them (although that was Gatland in the helm). It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I also don't want to get too carried away with how weak their URC teams were, because they also have a fair few strong players plying their trade in other markets. I still believe we should get the win, but I don't think its going to be the easy walkover that I'm seeing a lot of on twitter.

Goodness, I hope we don't get all Kolisi, Elstadt, Wiese AND Smith. At least chuck in Coetzee then as a seasoned capped Bok in top form. But I get where you are coming from.

I take a middle road in my expectation between yours and @Welsh Exile . I don't think we are going to pump Wales in any of the games. And I think this will be because we are going to be perhaps overly pragmatic, unnecessarily so to a point where even if we get dominance in most areas we aren't going to convert that into points efficiently. That'll bring Wales into the game and get their tails up is my expectation. That said I still see us as 8 point winners mainly because I don't think we can take our recent couple of games vs Wales as the measuring stick- playing us at home is a different context and one we havn't had for a good long while and which *should* probably count for a few points in our favor (considered on aggregate even if one game in isolation can go any-which-way I suppose).

Man I vaguely remember that last game we played out in SA 8 years ago or whatever. Weren't we something ridiculous like 20 odd points up at HT only to crumble spectacularly in the second half to lose by 1 point and failing to get our first win on SA soil. Remember being absolutely gutted at that result if it is the one I'm thinking of. Sad that I would bite your hand off for a result like that this time round but we won't come close to that.

Man I vaguely remember that last game we played out in SA 8 years ago or whatever. Weren't we something ridiculous like 20 odd points up at HT only to crumble spectacularly in the second half to lose by 1 point and failing to get our first win on SA soil. Remember being absolutely gutted at that result if it is the one I'm thinking of. Sad that I would bite your hand off for a result like that this time round but we won't come close to that.
Was that the tour where Liam Williams gave away a PT in the corner for SA to win?

Was that the tour where Liam Williams gave away a PT in the corner for SA to win?
Yes I think it was. I think we had a 12 point lead with 10 mins to go then Williams ****** up. Think we even had a chance to nik it after with a drop goal and/or pen but bottled that too. Lol.

Squad announced for Springboks, that is a very big pack. Thrown Willemse in at the back and got Willie basically playing cover for FB and FH with Kolbe and Willemse I guess playing flexibility to fill other positions as well.

1 Nche
2 Mbonambi
3 Malherbe
4 Etzebeth
5 De Jager
6 Kolisi
7 Mostert
8 Wiese
9 De Klerk
10 E. Jantjies
11 Mapimpi
12 De Allende
13 Am
14 Kolbe
15 Willemse
16 Marx
17 Kitshoff
18 Koch
19 Moerat
20 Louw
21 Smith
22 Jantjies
23 Le Roux

I thought Kolbe was out. Genuinely pleased he's not even though he'll cause us all kinds of problems I'm sure.

I hate that line-up. Think we should still win but I am almost hoping we don't.

It's clear what famous, often reiterated, line from two sides and chasing the sun was in the mindset when they selected the team...

The intensity of size is a bit surprising to me, but otherwise this isn't far from what I expected given Pollard's turnaround. More new caps on the bench than I expected though. Interested in what the game plan will be, because forwards screams "**** them up, physically" but then with the backline choice its more inclined to run with it. Let's see how it plays out.

Our line up is going to be pretty predictable other than whether AWJ starts or is on the bench. Then it'll just be who plays 6 and 12. Other than that I don't see too many surprises. I'm assuming Pivac will start Cuthbert over LRZ

Sad not to atleast see Coetzee on the bench. Would have started him over Mostert.

Hating this "heroic defeat" ******. I swear it's this kind of **** that Pivac is breeding. Not only is it just a loser mentality but we're playing **** rugby as we lose. At least with Gatland we actually won ****.

Biggar ******* me off too going on about sticking 2 fingers up at people writing the players off (even though most people are after the coaching team) and even though he called out the players after Italy saying some will never play for Wales again.

Warburton and Davies going on about how proud they were. What of exactly? Hardy's box kicking? Do me a favour.

We all know we can be gutsy and stay in games but we're ******* losing all the time. We almost beat an out of form France and we almost just beat SA on an off day. So ******* what, it's not sustainable, we'll be lucky to get out of the group let alone get to a final. Honestly had enough of it. Can't wait for Pivac to say how great a 3-0 series loss will be for Wales and how we're on the right path moving forward.

Can't even blame Pivac at this point. The WRU are a bunch of clowns. We're heading for disaster at the WC a la 2007 and just like then it'll be Fiji putting us out.

So frustrating when there's clearly an elite, albeit unproven, coach out there we could potentially get in Robertson. No way would he be peddling defeatist rhetoric like trying to maybe win one game out in SA or "everyone will be happy if we get to a semi final" kind of crap. Might actually try and coach some skills into players where we lack. I hate listening to him, find him so uninspiring and boring to listen to. Wish he'd just **** off but know that's not going to happen.

I wouldnhonestly lump on Wales to get knocked out of group next year. I reckon you'll get good odds on it. It's pretty much a sure thing unless Fiji get 4 players sent off or something.

Just checking this is the same Pivac who has won the 6N more recently than England, Scotland and Ireland? 16 months is a long time!

Latest posts