• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Salford Target Tomkins

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh dear, hows about he secures his clubs future and builds a squad first. Also, why the hell would Tomkins want to go there after Wigan

Last edited:
The comment in the Manchester Evening news makes me chuckle:

Come on Sam be the new Watkins/Risman. Start a new dynasty at Salford and take us on to be a top team. You're exactly the right type of talent to kick start a revival and the crowd would start to increase immediately for sure.
Give it a go and be remembered as the person who started it all off, rather than just one of Wigans many, many stars over the past 20 years.

He believes. You can't take that away from him.

Thing is, hes not one of "many, many stars", he's probably THE star.

Even if this is viable he will need to sign at least 2 or 3 marquee players to make his vision a reality. Asking Tomkins to come in and turn things around just isnt feasible.

Thing is, hes not one of "many, many stars", he's probably THE star.

I wouldn't say that - over the last 20years they've had players like Jason Robinson, Shaun Edwards, Martin Offiah, Andy Farrell - and that's just the famous-outside-of-league ones.
He'll no doubt go down as one of the greats (providing he stays in league and doesn't jump across to union in the next couple of years) but won't go down as the definitive biggest Wigan's ever had.

Funny that all the big names at Wigan become famous through Union...

I'm targeting a night with Kelly Brook, don't you know?

Bet she spends more time in Salford stadium then Tomkins will.

Sam who?

The only Sams who play rugby league of worth are Sam Thaiday, Sam Burgess and Sam Perrett.

Oh I see now...he's got a stellar international record against minnow nations - Hasn't managed a win out of 5 outings against Australia though.

Stirring-the-pot-80376509573.gif

Haha couldn't resist.

In all seriousness though it would be a great coup for them. It does seem doubtful though. He's a terrific young talent who seems to be destined to go down as one of the greats of Super League provided he stays injury free.

Due to **** house coverage of Super League here I don't get to see him play often. To be honest I didn't see him play at all last season - has he improved much? From what I saw prior to that he was growing to be pretty handy in the halves. What does everyone think of his Lockyer-esque change to fullback? For the best?

Offensively Tomkins rivals Slater. He is probably the most talented player England will produce for 30 years or more as the game slides towards amateur status due to being appallingly run for the last 5 years. However, there are serious, serious questions about his ability under the high ball. He is an accident waiting to happen (my fingers are always crossed) as a full back when the ball is in the air and that's such an important job for a full back.

He's much better at 6 for me but I understand why he is played at full back, because he can join the line whenever he sees a gap and can get involved in broken play, where he becomes lethal.

Latest posts