• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Saturday, 6 August: Springboks v New Zealand

Put November 12th in your calendar now.

Then put November 13th on your calendar cause you could see history.

I wonder if they are gonna post a picture of them sweeping the shid after that one.

From a comment section I found - I didn't watch the game this closely to notice all these details, but does his viewpoint as a whole line up/have truth?

"The Bok defence was atrocious. Run through, run over, run around. They were absolutely smashed on defence. The Kiwis forced the wide-wide game from deep. There really wasn't any other discernable gameplan from them. They were clearly ripping the Bok defence apart, but were simply too deep, taking far too many risks. This was not a great game, and as a Bok fan, this is a new low for the team. The midfield is the worst I have ever seen in my lifetime. De Allende is vodacom cup talent, so too Du Toit, Lood, Kolisi, Arendse. Am and Pollard have regressed markedly. This is a very physically weak side with very poor defence and no attack to speak of. Erasmus simply has to go. I saw nothing positive from the Boks. The Kiwis can get better with more direction from better coaching. The Boks simply have nothing"

"I was watching the one where the Kiwis made 94% of their tackles to 84% from the Boks. That despite the Boks dominating territory all game, and possession. The All Blacks beat over 20 defenders, the Boks less than 10. How does a team with so much field position get dominated in these areas?"

"What of De Allende being run over all game? That kick when the numbers were on. Willemse receiving a forward pass, then throwing it to nobody. It was hideous. Dragged around, run over, the Bok defence was a shambles. Very few left a positive impression. Without Marx at the breakdown we may well have lost the game, that's the fine line this team was playing. Overall, a poor quality test. The Northern hemisphere won't lose any sleep over this."

"The Boks smothered nobody. They were simply smashed on contact. Very poor tactics and handling let the worst Bok side since 1992 off the hook. Too wide too deep, that was the All Black gameplan all game. Only Marx, Etzebeth and Hendrikse should be retained. The backs are a total write-off, Hendrikse aside. Very poor physicality apart from Etzebeth and Wiese. We haven't dominated one opponent on the line since Canada in 2019. Let that sink in!"

"Look at the high missed tackle count of the Boks, the high number of defenders beaten by the Kiwis. There is no statistical area where the Boks were physical. The defence was poor, again, usually hovers between 80-83% from game to game. 84% today. Why were the Boks so heavily beaten on the line of the defence was so good? Why couldn't the Boks get good attack output despite the field position all game long?"

"Only Etzebeth and Wiese held their own physically. The rest lost their battles. The Boks were blown away in contact and on defence. But the Boks haven't been a physical side in contact for a while now. There were many instances of Am, Marx, Lood, De Allende et al being dragged several metres with support! Watch the game again, and this time with your eyes open. The Boks have not dominated a single opponent on the line since Canada 2019. Facts."

Well played Bokke, the AB's had a couple of pieces of individual brilliance with Jordan and Clarke which exposes the issue that we are playing as individuals rather than a team, players out of position etc. Will be tough to bounce back from this, another tough week ahead Cane and Foster. Would like to see Mo'unga at 10 and Jordan at 15 next test, Beaudy and Jordie's tactical kicking is questionable at best, we have got nothing to lose but the game and coach.

From a comment section I found - I didn't watch the game this closely to notice all these details, but does his viewpoint as a whole line up/have truth?

Erasmus simply has to go. I saw nothing positive from the Boks. The Kiwis can get better with more direction from better coaching. The Boks simply have nothing"

Well....

What would be the point in Erasmus going if the Boks cannot get better with better coaching?

Suggests whoever your reading is full of ****.

That was a good performance by the Springboks but I have to say the All Blacks were dire. The South African anthem before the game literally gave me the chills…. absolutely amazing atmosphere. It's a bit controversial but test matches in South Africa are my favourites to watch purely as a TV viewer. It's just raw intensity and emotion. The Boks at home are unbelievably difficult to beat.

The Boks did what the Boks do with incredible intensity.

Played the whole game without their first choice 9 and also donated as clear a red card as you'll see.

As for the ABs, they didn't look big or horrible enough and the basic skills were too often poor - that's the really worrying bit for them as it's what they've always been so good at. Looks like they have a whole heap of problems, which coaching can only partly explain.

Well played Bokke, the AB's had a couple of pieces of individual brilliance with Jordan and Clarke which exposes the issue that we are playing as individuals rather than a team, players out of position etc. Will be tough to bounce back from this, another tough week ahead Cane and Foster. Would like to see Mo'unga at 10 and Jordan at 15 next test, Beaudy and Jordie's tactical kicking is questionable at best, we have got nothing to lose but the game and coach.
I wouldn't trust jordan in the air defensively at fullback, he had hard enough a time on the wing. Probably should drop jordan against the boks. But depending on how the Barretts go with their injuries we might be left with no choice. More importantly we need our forwards running better blocking lines; they tried in their game but they failed, eg cane and Jordie colliding, Scott and jordan colliding.
I wonder if Wales could beat this All Blacks team at this point
i don't know if you are serious but the all blacks would destroy wales. If people can't see the difference in intensity between this game and springboks against wales then perhaps they should watch harder. The boks pretty much only get up for the all blacks, the lions, and world cups.
"Hey South Africa, just do what I did in 2018, these guys are clueless" - Joe Schmidt, looking for a job.
I don't quite get this remark. But Schmidt's role over the last three weeks of analysing the boks and telling foster how we should attack against them didn't work too well.

As for the ABs, they didn't look big or horrible enough and the basic skills were too often poor - that's the really worrying bit for them as it's what they've always been so good at. Looks like they have a whole heap of problems, which coaching can only partly explain.
I don't think the South African defence is getting enough credit in this. These guys haven't forgotten how to pass and catch, they failed to execute because of the pressure they were under. A more composed team would have stopped trying to offload and throw a pass too many and adopt a more conservative approach. When New Zealand's ball carriers went route one in the last 15 minutes of the first half, they looked the better side for me. Half time came at just the right time for SA, who were reminded revert to their base game plan of keeping it tight and kicking. NZ lost their momentum and tried to play too much rugby again.

Had nobody in the New Zealand setup watched a video of how South Africa play?

Now that a scrum is no longer an automatic SA penalty and New Zealand's ball carriers are getting over the gain line, NZ look marginally the better side. Will SA's failure to turn pressure into points in the first half come back to bite them or will the bomb squad turn the tide back in their favour?
It was joe Schmidt's job in the last three weeks to analyse the boks
🤫 No no, this is not the bomb squad. That was Cory Jane, Israel Dagg, and...
zac guildford. But people have been calling the current springbok front row (reserves??) as the bomb squad. Don't know why . But yeah it would be great if we had dagg and Jane right now

I don't think the South African defence is getting enough credit in this. These guys haven't forgotten how to pass and catch, they failed to execute because of the pressure they were under. A more composed team would have stopped trying to offload and throw a pass too many and adopt a more conservative approach. When New Zealand's ball carriers went route one in the last 15 minutes of the first half, they looked the better side for me. Half time came at just the right time for SA, who were reminded revert to their base game plan of keeping it tight and kicking. NZ lost their momentum and tried to play too much rugby again.

Mainly what my intensity comment was aimed at. It was phenomenal.

It was joe Schmidt's job in the last three weeks to analyse the boks

Really not the most taxing job in world rugby, you know exactly what's coming. Doing something about it on the other hand…..

Obviously we were poor under the high ball and the boks were great. We don't have the best players to fix this entirely but we can get better at the blocking.

Tactics were probably right but the poorly balanced midfield keeps showing itself as a failure. I wonder if goodhue will be available next week.Beauden taking the line on helped with the situation but wasn't enough. Tupaea's connection with his insides has been poor now in several tests. Riekos passing under pressure is often not the best. Maybe we just play faingaanuku and goodhue next week if available, especially if beauden isn't available.

Not sure how much we can do about the scrums but was positively surprised that lomax only gave away the one penalty. Newell shoild definitely be considered. Start him so if it doesn't work out you can sub him off.

Put ardie at seven. He may be good at 8 against some countries but not so much the boks. Put akira at 8 and vaai at 6.

On the other hand, making too many changes means we might be rusty again.

Fakatava should be in the 23.

The connection between the players, in terms of attack and at rucks, and under the high ball, needs to be better. Fix that somehow.

And the discipline, you can't give away dumb penalties when the opposition is better than you.

Mainly what my intensity comment was aimed at. It was phenomenal.

Really not the most taxing job in world rugby, you know exactly what's coming. Doing something about it on the other hand…..
To be clear, his job was to analyse the boks AND advise what to do about it in terms of attack.

Latest posts