Scotland rugby in dire straits

The Rugby Shadow

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
http://therugbyshadow.com/2011/09/26/scotland-rugby-in-dire-straits/

The 2011 edition of the Rugby World Cup,so far,has been brilliant.

The fervour,support and excitement generated by the thousands of fans that have flocked to our shores has been matched by the quality of the rugby on the field.
Labelled “Minnows†prior to this tournament,the likes of Tonga,Japan,USA,Samoa,Romania and Georgia have all had their moments in the sun.

Tonga served it up to the All Blacks in the second half on opening night.Japan got to 25-21 against France before succumbing late.The USA belted Ireland before losing 22-10.Samoa very nearly squeaked out a win against Wales.

And Romania and Georgia?Well,they both gave 6 Nations side Scotland a real scare.Romania in the opening game of Pool B went down 24-34 and 4 days later Georgia worked hard in their narrow 6-15 loss.

Yet now,after Argentina defeated the Scots 13-12 in a fantastic contest last night,we could say that Scotland itself,is in the league of “Minnowâ€. Two hardly convincing victories over Romania and Georgia,coupled with the Argentinian loss,means that Scotland face the real risk of going home next week if they can not pull off an increasingly unlikely victory over England.

Therefore making this the first time ever in their World Cup history that they do not progress past pool play.

And what a tragedy that would be.It would rob this World Cup of one of our truly colourful teams and equally colourful loyal supporters.A team that we New Zealanders hold a great deal of affection and respect for.

If bagpipes could play at half mast,we would.

While fellow 6 nations sides Wales,France,England and Ireland have produced some outstanding and ominous results,the Scots have bumbled and fumbled their way through three torturous games,barely igniting a ripple with their attempts at playing an expansive,fast paced game.Even when they decide to try and assert some dominance through their forwards,the traditional strength of Northern Hemisphere sides,their lack of body position,technique and upper body strength is bewildering.

Yet their fellow Triple Crown brothers have been in great form.Wales should have earned a victory over the reigning World Champions in their opening game,and then doused the hopes of Samoa in the next.England produced some real class in their hammerings of Georgia and Romania while Ireland have created the biggest stir,defeating Australia in a classic contest.

Meanwhile Scotland have underachieved.Last nights game was,dare I say it,pathetic.Sure,Argentina came in to this tournament on the back of a 3rd placing at the last World Cup,but since coach Marcelo Loffreda left in 2007,and with the loss of highly influential playmaker Juan Martín Hernández , the Argentinians have struggled for consistancy.

The Scots performance was perhaps summed up in the final few minutes when,needing to maintain the ball and get down inside the Pumas half,they failed to gain any ground whatsoever,being repeatedly repelled backwards by the Argentinian defence.The first instinct for the Scots seemed to be to want to kick the ball away aimlessly,and when the need was to retain possession at all costs,they were lateral,with no go forward and devoid of ideas.

If it wasn’t for the adventurous endeavours and high workrate of their two wingers,Max Evans and Sean Lamont,this defeat may well have been even more embarrassing.

Both Evans and Lamont had to go looking for work,as being wingers on the end of the Scottish backline is enough to leave you feeling like being at the end of a long unemployment queue while Centre Nick De Luca seemed intent on tucking the ball with no reason to feed his dangerous outsides.At one stage in a head on Television shot,with Lamont screaming outside him,De Luca simply got tunnel vision and hit in to contact.

When Jim Hamilton,the big Scotland second row,decided to try and belittle Argentine loosehead Rodrigo Roncero by patting him on the head after a particularly good Scottish scrum,one sensed a hint of arrogance.Argentina duly ran over the top of them next scrum up.

And when impressive flyhalf Ruaridh Jackson,who was controlly the game superbly,hit a classical drop goal,the match SHOULD have been sewn up.Yet he was subbed for Dan Parks,who proceeded to go in to lock down mode instead of piling on the pressure.

Parks attempt at a match winning drop goal late in the game was farcical at best.Scotland should have kept rumbling the ball up and sucking in the Argentine defenders before giving Parks a clear shot.Yet it seemed like panic set in and the ball was rushed to Parks as several keen defenders lined up for the kill.Parks had no option but to prop,and kick off his left foot.

Eventually,in the words of coach Andy Robinson, it was “30_seconds_of_madness†which cost them…
Paterson was among those
culpable in the build-up to Lucas Amorosino’s crucial try for Argentina,
described by the Scotland head coach Andy Robinson as “30 seconds of madnessâ€.
The score came in the 73rd minute, immediately after Dan Parks had squirted over
a dropped goal from a position deep in the 22 created by the replacement
Scotland fly-half’s superb penalty kick to touch.
Scotland were unable to
catch the restart, they committed a penalty offence at a ruck and Argentina used
the advantage to run to the right. A couple of Scots flew out of the defensive
line, allowing Felipe Contepomi and Marcelo Bosch to feed the replacement wing
Amorosino, and he stepped twice off his right foot in a thrilling, weaving run
past Paterson’s missed tackle and the flailing lunges of Mike Blair, Jim
Hamilton and Max Evans.
A gut wrenching loss and a probable exit from this World Cup.But the writing had been on the wall for quite some time for the Celtics.

So what has gone wrong?

Why,in every World Cup have Scotland reached the 1/4s,but not this one?

Why,have France achieved a Grand Slam as recently as last year,Ireland in 2009,Wales in 2008 and England in 2003…yet Scotland have not achieved a Grand Slam since 1990?

Why,since the inception of the 6 Nations in 2000,has Scotland achieved the measly record of just 16 wins in 60 games?

And why,after the disastrous appointment of a foreign coach (Australian Matt Williams in 2003) do a proud Nation such as Scotland,go and appoint a failed ex England coach who achieved a paltry 40% winning record with them,compared to Clive Woodward (71%) and Jack Rowell(72%) before him and Brian Ashton (54%) immediately after him?

We should go back to the early years of professionalism when Jim Telfer ran the Scottish RU. Any resources were put towards the importing of overseas players (not all eligible to play for Scotland). For many years the importance of grass roots rugby was all but ignored meaning that Scotland were (and remain) way behind most of the senior rugby nations.

Scotland will improve as I understand this has now been addressed but Telfers short-termism is his regrettable legacy.

Also , the lack of leadership on the pitch is lamentable. It should be remembered that for many years Scotland, with very limited playing numbers punched above it’s weight due to a golden spell where they were fortunate to produce a succession of leaders on the pitch who could have been selected in most International test sides.

Finlay Calder, John Jeffrey, Colin Deans, Jim Renwick, John Rutherford, Gary Armstrong, David Sole, Gavin Hastings and Andy Irvine to name just a few.

The memories of those players and their deeds,and the famous draws with the All Blacks in 1964 and 1983 linger on.

Scotland will arise again.But there is a lot of water to pass under the bridge until then.In the meantime,we can only hope that they get their house in order,implement some good coaching systems and structures,foster the game at schoolboy level and forge ahead in their own rights.
The rugby world awaits the return of Scotland the Brave.

Well I have no affiliation to Scottish rugby, but as someone who lives most of the year in Scotland and play my rugby in Scotland, here are some thoughts.

1. Scotland are not minnows - 'minnows' are teams who go in against teams like Wales and still have no chance of winning - the best they can hope for is to come close. Scotland, on the other hand, are capable of beating anyone but the All Blacks on their day. This too would mean Samoa are not minnows either.

2. Scottish rugby is badly run and in a dire situation. Rugby in Great Britain is very much a secondary winter sport to football, and on the whole its biggest successes come from areas where rugby union is the priority. The English premiership is at its strongest and most stable in the heartlands of the South-West, East Midlands and West London. Welsh rugby thrives in the heartlands of South Wales.

What Scotland has done is neglect its heartlands. The Scottish Borders have always been the home of Scottish rugby (where rugby 7s was invented), but there is now no professional team to represent the Borders. The closest place is Edinburgh, where a few thousand cram in to one side of Murrayfield to watch rugby in one of the poorest atmospheres I've ever experienced.

It doesn't help that the SRU is heavily in debt, but it is time for Scotland to rebuild the Borders as a rugby region. Edinburgh and especially Glasgow are football cities, through and through. The East of Scotland is football. The Highlands like football and camanachd. No point, no money to be made.

The difficulty is that in the Borders, the largest town (Hawick) has a population of less than 15,000. That's not enough to sustain a pro rugby team. But if the Edinburgh side were to be called Lothian & Borders (or something along those lines), and played a number of games in Galashiels & Hawick, then they could at least start to develop some kind of fanbase. As it is, Scottish rugby today is relying on the schools and universities system, which is not enough.

I was wondering if you lads could tell me what the amateur game is like in Scotland. As to be honest I think this has had a hugh impact on the Scottish game. As a whole the Scots have struggled at the main team sports for years and I can't see it getting better. Also did Borders not go bust?

I also do not think the level of money helps, as it has been said the Irish, Welsh, French and English all have more attractive rugby clubs well funded and supported in general. Scotland is pretty far behind all these nations if your a young lad looking to play at a decent club.

In my home county you have around 14 amateur clubs. Some are semi-pro and have brought on players from the youth section all the way to pro and England level. I think it is the strong amateur game, mini and youth sections that develope the game in England. As most of the schools in my county have dropped rugby as a sport as far as I know.

I hope this is not the case in Scotland it's where I learnt to play the game when I was a kid, and if it fails in schools there is a problem.

The worry I have for the Scottish game is they will fall into the area of teams like Italy. While teams like Russia and Georgia catch up with all the funding by the IRB. It really seems to me that money, fan base and levels of competition are a real problem. Until these things are sorted I am worrried that it is dark times ahead for Scottish rugby. Until the Scots RFU nad IRB realise this the game has problems.

Last edited:
Hopefully our new chief can get this running better, studying to be one I can definitely say having an accountant as your main decision maker is not a good thing, now that McKie is gone our union can get back to focusing on rugby.

Player numbers have been steadily increasing since 2007, in 2009 we beat the Aussies for the first time in 27 years, last year we won our first ever away series and to top it off beat the Boks. Not bad for a team in dire straits, no?

I firmly believe that once Parks is gone after this world cup, we can start moving forward properly. If Robinson said at the start of the 6 Nations "We've got Jackson, lets start working on our gameplan for the world cup, and possibly future" and chosen the running option then, things could've turned out differently. Instead we waited until the world cup, either hoping it would just click, or that Parks would gain some form. Niether happened, and we suffered as a result.

We are not going to win the 6 Nations anytime soon, Robinson has a contract to 2015, and several decent players now that will definitely be young enough to compete then.
Lets go all guns blazing at England, if we lose, we lose. If we win, we will probably get 50 put past us by New Zealand, but we must try. We have players that do it for their clubs, but are unable to transfer that to the national team. We lose because we get caught in two minds, do we kick or try and pass it? Robinson must choose and act.

Ach, I dinnae know what I am speaking about, just rambling I suppose. Just hope that the men in charge can do what is right for the game, or else in 5-10 years time I will be attending games in the ENC...

I think the SRU needs to try and create some more interest in the domestic game, Edinburgh and Glasgow have poor crowd attendances

more money needs to go to them to get better teams and get players like Evans, Lamont, Murray, Brown to play in Scotland, and have some big name foreigners too (remember when Larkham signed for Edinburgh?)

I don't understand the mentality of the Scots to be honest, why do they enjoy their dreadfully boring SPL so much and interest is maintained in that?

@ LordHope: I get your point you hate Dan Parks, every post you seem to find room to slag him off, but to be fair 2010 was probably the best year of his career (although apart from that year I agree he's been poor), and he did well at club rugby for Glasgow

Re: Parks

As I said in one of my posts, when off form he is like a plague, when on form a godsend. In 2010 it was ridiculous how well he suited our style of play, I really, really just can't get over the schoolboy errors he makes, those 15 minutes he was on against Argentina was a modicum of his entire 60 odd caps, a rather wobbly drop goal, a classy touch finder, coupled with a penalty that only went out because of Amariso's (sp) handling, and an attempted drop kick when it wasn't on. He further goes on to say how he didn't want the ball, and because Lamont trodded off the drop goal was the only option. ********, he just doesn't have the self-confidence to take the ball into contact.

The new boss has plenty of experience in the media industry, which is what we need, whilst the departing of McKie and his pal Hegarty will mean the salary bill will be down several hundred k.

As for the SPHell, I've yet to meet somone whom enjoys the SPL, apart from Old Farm 'fans' that is. Frankly, at times I think the Highland League has a higher standed than the donkeys running amok in Scotland. I know of many Aberdeen fans whom have simply grown tired of watching the pish the Dons serve up, and have come over to egg-chasing.

Hi Guys,
I didn't post this in a 'disrespectful' way at all,just a Kiwis observations from abroad,through a bit of research and asking some passionate Scottish fans some questions.
I expected a lot more from the Scots at this WC. It isn't over,and they may well beat England(I hope so) and then it will open this tournament right up,but the way it is shaping up I cant see Scotland getting within 10 points.
Cheers

Well I have no affiliation to Scottish rugby, but as someone who lives most of the year in Scotland and play my rugby in Scotland, here are some thoughts.

1. Scotland are not minnows - 'minnows' are teams who go in against teams like Wales and still have no chance of winning - the best they can hope for is to come close. Scotland, on the other hand, are capable of beating anyone but the All Blacks on their day. This too would mean Samoa are not minnows either.

2. Scottish rugby is badly run and in a dire situation. Rugby in Great Britain is very much a secondary winter sport to football, and on the whole its biggest successes come from areas where rugby union is the priority. The English premiership is at its strongest and most stable in the heartlands of the South-West, East Midlands and West London. Welsh rugby thrives in the heartlands of South Wales.

What Scotland has done is neglect its heartlands. The Scottish Borders have always been the home of Scottish rugby (where rugby 7s was invented), but there is now no professional team to represent the Borders. The closest place is Edinburgh, where a few thousand cram in to one side of Murrayfield to watch rugby in one of the poorest atmospheres I've ever experienced.

It doesn't help that the SRU is heavily in debt, but it is time for Scotland to rebuild the Borders as a rugby region. Edinburgh and especially Glasgow are football cities, through and through. The East of Scotland is football. The Highlands like football and camanachd. No point, no money to be made.

The difficulty is that in the Borders, the largest town (Hawick) has a population of less than 15,000. That's not enough to sustain a pro rugby team. But if the Edinburgh side were to be called Lothian & Borders (or something along those lines), and played a number of games in Galashiels & Hawick, then they could at least start to develop some kind of fanbase. As it is, Scottish rugby today is relying on the schools and universities system, which is not enough.

Samoa would happily except Scotland's resignation from the six nations. We would also like to accept - in advance - the invitation to the Six Nations.
Also: NZ would like to volunteer coaches - Hammett, Foster, Kirwan, Jeff Wilson & Craig Dowd into whatever team you deem necessary.

Kidding aside - it's a tragedy for world rugby that Scotland is the way it is. There's now (after only watching minimal celtic league & premiership) a real dearth of world class talent coming up from the Scots. I'm picking none of the Scots (from what I've seen) would make the AB's 30 squad or even a Lions tour if it were picked now. And they placed 10th in the IRB junior world cup. It's not a great place to build depth from. For the short term I would recommend scouting for scottish heritage players from overseas over risking the youth, throwing whatever funds they can at club development...but who knows?

Scotland = Minnows? That would be a sad day indeed.

Hi Guys,
I didn't post this in a 'disrespectful' way at all,just a Kiwis observations from abroad,through a bit of research and asking some passionate Scottish fans some questions.
I expected a lot more from the Scots at this WC. It isn't over,and they may well beat England(I hope so) and then it will open this tournament right up,but the way it is shaping up I cant see Scotland getting within 10 points.
Cheers

That was your first mistake...

Scottish rugby's been in a funny way for a while. Its posted some fantastic results against the SH sides but in terms of their bread and butter - the Celtic League and Six Nations - they've been woefully off of the pace.

The simple truth is that financially they're up **** creek and it's showing everywhere. They can't afford to pay their stars to stay at home, they can't afford to operate more than two professional teams, they can't afford to get a high enough standard of coaching to enough players.

Until their debt levels are reduced, they're going to be in a bad place. Letting stars go hurts Embra and Glasgow, but at the same time it eases the books and creates space for youngsters to come through. I also imagine that in the not too distant future, a lot of the Scottish team will have spent time in the English academy system.

They could really use with a big marketing campaign to push rugby to the Scottish public. Money in tills, bums on seat, and kids at club.

As for Andy Robinson, he did a great job at Embra to get the gig. He's learnt a lot. However, he still has limitations, and he'd picked a bad time to switch styles. Long term, I wouldn't write him off.

I certainly wouldn't write off Robinson and Scotland short term either. They appear to be heading for a bad world cup, I really want them to be heading for an incredibly bad world up, but its not done yet and find me an Englishman who's utterly sanguine about the upcoming game and I'll show you a liar or a fool.

It's just a sad fact....Scotland do not have the required players of quality, their teams are lacking every season in the Heineken Cup and I'm afraid to say they will never be a threat in the World Cup.

Well, one could argue that England have designs on winning this tourney, yet to do so they must beat us, a victory which is far from garuanteed. So, in that sense, are we not a 'threat' to the world cup in that we could playing a decisive role in the fate of one of the pretenders to the crown?

the weird thing is...scotland step up against big teams but slump against the minnow teams....they had embarrassing performances against Romania and Georgia but improved against England and Argentina. and in the last few years defeated AUS and RSA.....bottom line is they take minnow teams to lightly but take bigger teams more seriously.

:lol:

I like how we 'stepped up' against New Zealand in 2010. Utter nonsense is the only way I can describe the statement of the teams attitude against Romania and Georgia. They showed nothing but absoloute respect against the Georgians, knew their own teams limitations and didn't try to play adventurous rugby cause they knew they could hurt them if they got turned over, especially after the fight that Romania put against them a few days before.

Scotland played poorly in those two games, that does not mean they take emerging teams lightly, a swallow doesn't make a summer and all that.

Latest posts