• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland v Ireland

What a disgrace, any decent side would have taken this Irish performance to the cleaners

We never even touched their 5 metre line in the entire match

Absolute pash, Robinson needs to get a tub of sulphuric acid next to the pitch, and if a player drops the ball, he needs to take a bath

well the only thing that should worry England on the basis of these two's 6N campaigns so far is the fact they've got to play in Dublin. Other than that, Ireland are ill-disciplined and error-ridden, while Scoltand's defence and cutting edge are both shocking at times.

Robinson makes a good point in postmatch:
Scotland give away 2 scrum penalties and lose a prop, Ireland give away 11 ruck infringements and nothing happens

Nigel Owens has been very poor at the breakdown the last few times he's refereed Leinster and it seems he's continued that trend today. Denis Leamy should have been sent to the bin.

I say Richie Gray won't be playing in Scotland for long.

Sick of those silly Irish penalties with no yellow card given.

As long as a front row will got a yellow for a "bad link" on one scrum entry and others players will some time to time have a penalty after making deliberate faults, I can't see how teams who play the rules will take advantage on those who play with...

Of course Ireland scored 3 tries to none for Scotland, but how mutch would have been scored if the Scots would have cheated around rucks like Green are allowed to do ?

Last edited:
Well ,if(And I know this is a Massive If) Ireland could cut down on their errors, they are capable of beating England in Dublin. They were their own worst enemies today. They really should have won this game by 20+ points against a pretty poor Scottish team. Silly errors ruined them today, they messed up near the tryline a few times and in the end were lucky to come away with the win.

As much as I hate to say it Rog has actually had a really good game! Made some good kicks from hand and done his job. Really wish Paterson had halved him under the posts though

Dropping a cubic into a dog **** doesn't transform it into a diamond.

Of course Ireland scored 3 tries to none for Scotland, but how mutch would have been scored if the Scots would have cheated around rucks like Green are allowed to do ?

None probably. Connor O'Shea in commentry said Ireland should just leave them have the ball because they won't score. They did that for the last 10 min and Scotland didn't get close to the try line.

Scotland missed out on a great chance to beat Ireland today. Ireland were not at the races and the amount of penalties they gave away was untrue. They just kept inviting Scotland back into the game and the Scots simply couldn't capitalise on it. Good spell of pressure FINALLY at the end with Ireland hanging on for their dear lives. Ireland have been poor all Six Nations and I really do fancy Wales to go and get a result against them at least.

Richie Gray is a world class player. And Kelly Brown played very well today. Pretty much the same match like the one we saw yesterday at 6pm (or 5pm). Referee doing a poor game (where's the yellow card for Ireland. Ireland first try. etc), and Scottish team that got the ball but which is doing too many silly mistakes.

But today in Europe you got to play ugly to win games.

I don't understand why Robinson has waited until the end of the match to swap Jackson for Parks.

well the only thing that should worry England on the basis of these two's 6N campaigns so far is the fact they've got to play in Dublin. Other than that, Ireland are ill-disciplined and error-ridden, while Scoltand's defence and cutting edge are both shocking at times.

The discipline is a real problem but the error count was a lot better today.

Isn't it brilliant. Even the Irish fans are complaining that we didn't get a sin-binned.

None probably. Connor O'Shea in commentry said Ireland should just leave them have the ball because they won't score. They did that for the last 10 min and Scotland didn't get close to the try line.

What a generous gift...
A bit like the only undeserved penalty given to Ireland wich realy looked like a bit of compensation for the Scotish yellow.

Bloody hell, were a right bunch of scumbags! Shocking that Leamy didn't see the bin.

We should have won by about 20 points today. Our discipline is appauling, coach's fault imo. They don't play like that for their clubs now, do they?

On the plus side, we were on top in the scrums! It's been a while since that's happened. Also, that's the best that I've seen Keith Earls play in a long time. Rog was actually pretty good, but the game plan was all wrong. We were getting taken apart at lineout time and yet he persisted with kicking to the corner. Not smart.

I think Scotland have alot going for them, good scrum and lineout, decent half backs, and some strong guys out the backline. That's enough to get them to the 22, but beyond that they're clueless. Still, England have their work cut out, especially if Scotland sort out their midfield defence.

I was spitting nails when POC knocked on at the base of a ruck about 70 mins, then he did 3 brilliant things - secured a loose ball on ground, put in a deadly tackle on his own 22, and won a Scots lineout.

Looks like Ireland lost momentum with the replacements. Thought Stringer misjudged the rhythm, and Sexton is not the guy you want to guide you safely into port when things are so tight. So, Ireland again thrash the opposition on tries scored but find themselves struggling in the last few minutes. Something wrong there. Strange thing is their drift defence is generally comfortable, but the penalty count suggests the pack doesn't trust the backs to take the pressure.

Owens is a very frustrating ref. Ireland should have been punished harder for their constant penalties, but I watched one sequence of Scots attack and saw three infringments by them that weren't whistled. Lazy runners weren't punished, and Scotland scored their last points after an oops-butterfingers dropped ball on the halfway, when the Scots player was facing forward and the ball hit the ground in front of him.

I thought a lot of the infringements Ireland were called for today were totally farcical. Not denying that they were ill-disciplined but Owens just seemed to want to give Scotland a penalty at every given opportunity. There were a few that stuck out in my mind. He penalised Fitzgerald in the first half for literally nothing. He jumped up and contested for a high ball and he dropped it. Owens deemed this knock on penalty worthy. There was another moment when we knocked one of the Scottish backs back into his own 22, he was isolated, we went for the ball; penalty to Scotland. Not only this but several Scottish infringements weren't called. The glaringly obvious knock on by Paterson after he tried to catch a clearance kick, the multiple offsides when Ireland made it into their 22 (although refs seem to allow for offsides within the 22 metre line these days). The worst had to be when one of the Scottish forwards jumped over the ruck before the ball was out and smacked it out of Reddan's hands as he was picking it up and Owens allowed play on. There were more examples of this but I can't think of them now.

Lads just back from Italy and missed game I heard ROG played well and discipline was poor but couldn't fight my way back so will basically ask can anyone update me and let me know what/who was good or bad

If both teams play like this in the next two games it's going to be an easy run in for England :p
Irelands discipline is terrible, and for all of Sean O'Briens strength/tackle breaking/great runs he doesn't have a very good rugby brain on him - Silly infringements and not looking for support

I disagree. For Leinster O'Brien can always spot the gap and has spacial awareness. He doesn't commit anywhere near as many penalties as the likes of Leamy and O'Connell and for Leinster his offloads are brilliant. We must remember he is still finding he feet in international rugby and I think he was brilliant today.

Lads just back from Italy and missed game I heard ROG played well and discipline was poor but couldn't fight my way back so will basically ask can anyone update me and let me know what/who was good or bad

3 tries to nil in Ireland favour. Discipline was once again a massive problem though. Ireland played very well with ball in hand and made very few handling errors. Scotland dominated the lineouts. I think Ireland could have won by 20+ pts but the ref reffed one team.

Most of the team played well actually I thought except for some brainless penalties they conceded. It should be on RTE player tonight or tomorrow.

Nigel had a shocker. I am a great fan of Owens but he was dreadful. He could control the scrum and although Ireland were dominant in that area his sin binning of Jacobsen was completely wrong. As Keith Wood said he had made both packs come to close together and that made it impossible for Jacobsen to engage straight. Owens also missed alot of knock ons and forward passes and at the breakdown he some of the penalties he gave against Ireland were completely wrong as Ireland were legally competing for the ball however He missed some infringements where Ireland were trying to slow the Scottish ball down. At many times Scotland players were dawdling around the Irish rucks getting in the way of the half backs and how he didn't sin bin an Irish player amazes me.

Latest posts