Bath
Scotland.png
Versus%20Challenge.png
Wales.png

Murrayfield, Scotland
14:30, 09/03/13

Gethin Jenkins expected to miss this.
Calf injury, 10 days.

Just as he was returning to form :(. Paul James was excellent after coming on against Italy though, and Bevington has been in blistering form for the Ospreys, so we've got it covered.

Just as he was returning to form :(. Paul James was excellent after coming on against Italy though, and Bevington has been in blistering form for the Ospreys, so we've got it covered.

Paul James had a great game for Bath against Gloucester this weekend. Big opportunity for him, he is a seriously underrated player, just unfortunate to be behind one of the best loosehead props of the modern era for most of his international career (and the misfortune of having his reputation hurt a bit by playing tighthead where he wasn't so good). He should have started from the first match of the 6 Nations in my opinion, but then to be fair Gethin had a good game vs Italy and deserved to keep his place after that.

Not sure about that "blistering form" about Bevington Dullonien. He is far too inconsistent for my liking to challenge the main two props. This season, he has had some absolute stormers on occasions (such as Ulster recently) but then the next week he could have a really poor matches (such as Treviso away). He must improve on his consistency, and be on that blistering form for a sustained period.

Not sure about that "blistering form" about Bevington Dullonien. He is far too inconsistent for my liking to challenge the main two props. This season, he has had some absolute stormers on occasions (such as Ulster recently) but then the next week he could have a really poor matches (such as Treviso away). He must improve on his consistency, and be on that blistering form for a sustained period.

Very true. When he's good though........... I'm not sure there's a prop out there who can touch him. That performance against Ulster was one of the best I've ever seen from a prop, and not just because of that try. He was everywhere in the preceding 60min, carrying, tackling, scrummaging, the lot. He's also showed on a number of occasions that he's got some lovely hands as well.

I agree with Humphreys, if he's not one of, if not the best prop in the world in a few years time, he won't have fulfilled his potential. For the moment though, I agree that he needs to gain consistency in his play.

Very true. When he's good though........... I'm not sure there's a prop out there who can touch him. That performance against Ulster was one of the best I've ever seen from a prop, and not just because of that try. He was everywhere in the preceding 60min, carrying, tackling, scrummaging, the lot. He's also showed on a number of occasions that he's got some lovely hands as well.

I agree with Humphreys, if he's not one of, if not the best prop in the world in a few years time, he won't have fulfilled his potential. For the moment though, I agree that he needs to gain consistency in his play.

No pressure then ...

But as you say Dullonien, Bevington has shown very promising glimpses of being Gethin 2 and his possible successor in the future, just needs to get consistency and iron out the more John Yapp-like performances which we have seen at times, especially early season with the Ospreys sans Adam Jones and recently against Treviso away.

However he needs to start doing it soon though, when Gethin Jenkins was Bevington's age now he was a Grand Slam winning prop (with a nice try in it as well) and headed to start all 3 matches on Lions tour.

Hopefully, with more and more experience at the Ospreys, he will fulfil his potential, however best in the world is a big call.

Paul James had a great game for Bath against Gloucester this weekend. Big opportunity for him, he is a seriously underrated player, just unfortunate to be behind one of the best loosehead props of the modern era for most of his international career (and the misfortune of having his reputation hurt a bit by playing tighthead where he wasn't so good). He should have started from the first match of the 6 Nations in my opinion, but then to be fair Gethin had a good game vs Italy and deserved to keep his place after that.

I disagree. Gloucester's best tighthead (Knight) is injured, and Harden, who many fans don't rate, had only just come back from injury and played 160 minutes in 5 days the week before. James' second half opponent, Chistolini, is unfortunately not AP standard. Despite this, Paul James scrummaged illegally most of the match (didn't scrummage straight, but into the hooker), and was lucky to get away with it. He gave away a couple of penalties too. I like James, but I wouldn't say he had a great game.

If Wales have anywhere near the amount of possession and territory Ireland did against Scotland I don't think we'll lose. Ireland just can't finish line break or set-piece moves at the moment without fumbling the ball. Wales are a lot more efficient at that. They only had two real chances to break Italy's defence in awful playing conditions last weekend and put them both away fairly simply. Then again, Wales had 63% possession and 65% territory against Ireland in the opening match, but still lost so I accept possession/territory aren't crucial.

I can't see Scotland posing much of an attacking threat to Wales' defence either. Wales haven't conceded a try for about the last 200 minutes of rugby, so are back to near old form of defensive play. I don't think Scott and Lamont work well together at centre at the moment and they don't release the likes of Hogg, Visser and Maitland. Visser is only a threat when he is on the receiving end of a great pass in open space or on the end of a set piece move. Hogg poses the most threat because he gets involved all over the park and cuts some great runs.

dang didn't realize Scotland had 3 straight at home this year...they are HOGGING that home court advantage !...
Scotland didn't look good at all against Ireland, it's just Ireland that lost the game for them...Wales aren't as flashy or pretty to watch (as Ireland) but they're more focused and efficient and will finish plays off. I think they'll have an advantage in the scrum too...
Wales by 10 or so ? ~8

Cant you chaps ever have a simply decent player? It's either utterly terrible or 'one of the best in the world/was one of the best in the world/is going to be the best in the world in that position!

Best prop in the world? I will be amazed if he is ever viewed as best in Britain to be honest.

Here's a topic of debate... move Hook to inside centre, Roberts/Davies at 13. Probably Roberts tbh because of his crucial defensive role. But WALES NEED A CREATIVE INSIDE CENTRE!!! AAAAAAAHHH!!!

I think we are going to be in for a fantastic game. I think Wales may edge it if they have the territory and possession. Though I still see Scotland winning it, especially if Welsh minds are part focussed on England the following week. I think a draw is also a possibility.

I'm looking forward to this game. Wales should win when you look at the quality players they have but Scotland will be hard to beat especially at home and that win against Ireland will have lifted their spirits.

Cant you chaps ever have a simply decent player? It's either utterly terrible or 'one of the best in the world/was one of the best in the world/is going to be the best in the world in that position!

Best prop in the world? I will be amazed if he is ever viewed as best in Britain to be honest.

Why not? He's one of the best athletes going, combining size, power, pace and skill, and this gives him enormous potential. He's also a decent scrummager (although isn't up there with the best yet), so unlike other athletic props, he won't crumble when it comes to the coal face. Until this season he's been behind one of the form props in the NH in recent years for the Ospreys in Paul James, but has been improving this season now that he's first choice.

He may well not ever be considered one of the best, or even reach the best in Britain if he can't eradicate the inconsistency from his game, but if he does then I've seen enough to convince me that he'll be up there. Yes it's a big if, but there we go.

And yes I know it's all glory or doom, but that's the way we are ;).

Really want to see Scottish backline working at the weekend. Scott, Visser, Maitland and Hogg are all really good players and they've had hardly any ball so far, yet they've still scored tries. I don't care if possession stats are awful again as long as we win, but a bit more would be nice and i am sure they're addressing that this week in training. Hogg has been getting a lot of credit but I think Maitland and Scott have also been huge, especially in defence. Maitland is a very physical player and goes into contact with confidence, unlike Visser who looks awkward. Can't wait to see how he fares vs Cuthbert who is also a physical winger.

Really want to see Scottish backline working at the weekend. Scott, Visser, Maitland and Hogg are all really good players and they've had hardly any ball so far, yet they've still scored tries. I don't care if possession stats are awful again as long as we win, but a bit more would be nice and i am sure they're addressing that this week in training. Hogg has been getting a lot of credit but I think Maitland and Scott have also been huge, especially in defence. Maitland is a very physical player and goes into contact with confidence, unlike Visser who looks awkward. Can't wait to see how he fares vs Cuthbert who is also a physical winger.

I agree with a ton of what you say hear. Maitland is far better in contact than Visser, but Visser is improving in that area almost every game. We need to hold onto the ball a lot more. We kicked far to often last game and not when it was our best option.

Hope the Welsh lineout is shaky with possible returning locks and we can take advantage of it like we did Ireland.

Scotland to Win!!! Probably not, I really think a draw could happen. But I will say Scotland by 5.

I'm normally not a huge fan of the Roberts/Davies partnership (lack of creativity/out of form, etc.), but I think if Wales get their tactics right the centre pairing of Scott and Lamont is there to exploit at the moment. I think those two have shown weaknesses in their defensive play, leaving some big holes for attackers to burst through. If Roberts sees the space in front of him and keeps his head up and eyes open I think he could cause some real damage in midfield, and all the while creating some nice space for Davies to run into.

This isn't to say the Scott/Lamont partnership is terrible. I am a big Sean Lamont fan usually, I just think that he probably is a better winger than centre. He played brilliantly for Scarlets at centre while he was there, but for whatever reason he doesn't seem to be able to replicate quite the same form internationally. Perhaps it's because of the halfbacks? I have to say I haven't been too impressed with Laidlaw at scrum-half this tournament, I see him as a more natural 10. And Weir should start against Wales after his performance from the bench against Ireland. He lifted the team when he came on and had great vision.

The problem is, with Jackson & especially Laidlow they have this god awful kicking game involving aimless kicks to the opposition. They then rely on the opposition to make a mistake ensuring they have made easy yards. The fact that they have won the last 2 games was not down to their game plan or a kicking game. They won because the opposition was sh*t and they had a bit of luck on their side. They cannot carry on kicking decent possession away, even slow ball they're better off keeping. They carry on with this 10 man rugby where they give up so much possession, they will lose by 30 or 40 points. They've got a decent back 3 and a good pack, they have some confidence after 2 wins on the trot, now is the time to start playing some positive rugby. They are very close to being back to square one and to be honest I reckon it would be better for Scottish rugby for them to play some good rugby against Wales and lose rather than win a dire kickfest where they again concede 80% of the possession & territory.

Last edited:
I agree with Zed, to an extent, but I don't think Scotland are anywhere near being back to square one.

Square one was some really dire times! Not too long ago!

Scotland have a pretty decent back 3, a back 3 that has managed to deal a fair bit of damage on very little ball. Lets face it, it has mainly been on the counter as well. I'd be very interested to see what this back 3 can do if Laidlaw stops kicking the ball every time he sees it. Then of course there's the challenge of the ball getting past the centers...

I've been impressed with Scotlands pack in just about every aspect - Scrum, lineout, defense... But breakdown is a worry.

All this being said, I struggle to see Wales as clear favorites. I see the teams as very similar, and I think they've both had a very similar tournament so far -

Wales -

Beaten fairly comfortable first game (admittedly they played a blinder of a second half, but I never seen Ireland loosing)
A very tight game and managed to get over the line first and beat the French.
A comfortable win against a poor Italy. (But some good play in tough conditions and a stadium where Italy are traditionally hard to play)

Scotland -

Beaten fairly comfortably by England, although still enjoyed the game.
Beat a poor Italy comfortably (As much as everyone likes to put this game down to Italy being poor, I was impressed with Scotland).
A win against Ireland when everything says they should have lost... Including my brain.

Looking at this I think Wales should go in as favorites this Saturday, but by no means should they be looking toward England next Saturday.

Looks like Alun-Wyn will be starting. If this is true, Coombs will be gutted. I think I will be gutted for him too. He hasn't put a foot wrong, been one of our best ball-carriers. I know Jones is usually the better all-round lock, but why fix something that ain't broke?

Latest posts