• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scrumhalf/halfback help

michaelmas

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
I know there are a lot of threads out there about scrumhalf training. I looked through as many as I could find and everywhere else online but I'm still lost. I played wing for a few years and now I'm a scrumhalf with a new team. This new team has a scrumhalf that is experienced but doesn't offer any advice when I ask him for help. All he can say is "practice" and blows me off. I'm determined to be the best scrumhalf I can be so I won't just stand by and hope I get experience. I need help with the technical aspects of the game. My passing and speed aren't great but I am working on it with the advice of other forum members. I have a weighted ball and kicking bands as well as other training aids.
So to get better mentally I want to know the technical aspects of the position. I looked everywhere online and tried to find the technical side of the position but all I can find are some drills and small bits of advice. I'm in the Eastern US and I can't really find anyone I can train with or any coaches. I'm trying to watch other scrumhalves online but you don't know what's actually going on down on the field or what he's thinking/saying.
I want to get better, I want this very badly and I would really appreciate help. Outside of drills what will make me better? I don't know the position very well so it's hard to come up with specific questions. I'm just so frustrated that rugby isn't bigger in the states and I have so little help available around here.
The only questions I can think of that I can ask is basic positional stuff. I tried a few games and the other scrumhalf was all over me and I just couldn't get to him on our scrums. I don't know how I can even it out.
I heard that scrumhalves need to take control of their forwards and tell them where to go so another question is where do you want them to be?
During rucks and scrums when do you have time to look at the opposing side to see if there are any openings? I found that I was trying to track the ball so much that I never had time to look at the opposing side's positioning.
Are there any books/DVDs out there that will help with the technical side of the position?
I know this is asking a lot and I'm really frustrated with the whole thing but I'm dedicated to being the best I can be. I'm working on the physical aspect I just need the rest. I really appreciate any help I can get or any resources out there.

Massive question but i'll try to give some advice, As you said scrumhalves definitely do need to take control of their forwards, scream at them where you want them, it's their job to protect you from getting smashed pretty much. Seeing as it seems your fairly new to it, the best bet would probably be to just concentrate on getting clean ball to your backs and quick ball to your forwards, and when the opportunity presents itself i.e a gap on the fringe of the ruck have a scoot by yourself, as long as you have forwards there to clean you out and try and keep a nice low body position when going into a tackle as most of the blokes tackling you will most likely be a lot bigger than you. Another thing that scrumhalves can do is really pester the ref by showing them when the other side is infringing around the breakdown and exaggerating the fact that they are infringing. Also the box kick which is fast becoming a big part of many scrumhalves games i.e. will genia can be very effective when used in the right situation, but try not to over use it as it can get very predictable, but just look to see if there's a good opportunity for it like if there is noone back for the other team. This is all pretty basic stuff but scrumhalf isn't reeeeally a highly 'technical' position so it pays just to develop the basic stuff like a good strong pass and rapport with your forwards. Hope that helps you a little bit

Good place to start from. If anyone else has advice I'm open to that too. I want to get all the information I can so I have a good idea of where I need to go

Latest posts