• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Seeding disaster for the hosts

i do find this whole argument a strange hill to die on, especially as an a first topic on the board, any draw has winner and losers....thats how it works, ive heard people in the past it unfair that top teams get "easier" runs and it should be completely random, people will always find something to complain about

god forbid we might actually get some different teams through to the QF's
Pretty much this.

Is it an issue? ...maybe.
Could it be better? Probably.
Is it the biggest issue in rugby right now? Definitely not.

I think we should create a new World Cup rule where Ireland are always eliminated in the quarters no matter what. Although not sure we need another rule that won't change anything.

Pretty much this.

Is it an issue? ...maybe.
Could it be better? Probably.
Is it the biggest issue in rugby right now? Definitely not.
Again you are totally right. But surely that doesn't mean we can only discuss the most important issue?

Really fail to see why it's such as issue if you expect to be crowned the champions who you beat to get there should be a non issue, so many variables, teams with a supposedly easier run in could also use counter arguments like they arrive at the knock out stages under cooked by comparison, you may get an easier run in in terms of getting the wins but due to the opposition being extremely physical you pick up more injury's, the list goes on.

This, it's just a question of when it's done - with all the logistical issues that surround it (and sponsorship).
I just can't see a way of leaving it less than 24 months pre-tournament.
Then it's a matter of what time of year you want to draw the pools and seedings, post 6N? post July series? post QN? or post November series?
Why. Football manages a draw 8-9 months before a tournament. Other sports in even shorter time frames.

Why. Football manages a draw 8-9 months before a tournament. Other sports in even shorter time frames.
It's almost like that question's already been asked
Rugby isn't football, it simply doesn't have the same draw. It can't just rock up and demand that everyone rearranged themselves around it with minimal notice.
These things are arranged more than a year out, so realistically, if it needs to be at the end of the year, then 22 months out is about as close as it can be managed.
As for other sports I'm not familiar with - please enlighten me - what other sports involve large squads and teams of support staff, large numbers of fans travelling from overseas, into countries where the event is hosted over a large geographical spread, with draws (and therefore accommodation [team and fans], training and medical facilities) made less than 8-9 months beforehand, whilst not having the bully factor of the largest sport in the world?

The only one I can think of is Cricket, with 5 months notice - which I gather (but can't really comment on personally) creates unhappiness - oh, and doesn't have pools, or teams staying in 1 location.

Last edited:

Latest posts